Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resurging past

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Resurging past Empty Resurging past

Post by Shrike Marine Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:20 pm

5 years, 5 long years it had been, the fall of Horizon, the very institution that was once the shining beacon and hope to help the planet prosper....eventually fell too power and greed, it's results spanned over half a century. Hidden from the world, out of prying eyes the developments and creations spawned from them were once for the good of the world....but would eventually bring about their end. The world at large would never truly know the depth of which these took place, never knowing the truth that of what transpired and the horrors left behind. 

With their rein all but over, the Horizon corp was now just a faded memory. Contained and shut down by the almost innumerable forces of the Guardian units of nations, the global defense force responsible for the planets safe guard. Unfortunately...not every thing would be captured nor everyone, Elements escaped....based left untouched a source of power slowly loosing stability. 

19:00 hours...the skies above Station square and its surrounding lands would be enjoying a cozy evening sky, redish hue clouds scattered above on high as the sun skins beyond the horizon. For most it was a time to settle down and get ready to see the evening in. Station square was not exactly a quiet place, a city that never really slept to be honest. The citizens going back their day un the wiser about what was lurking beyond. Course by now the trends on media and up loaders alike had been posting video footage of so called "Anomalous." sightings at various points around the far outskirts of the city, concealed in its more dense undergrowth area's, images of strange lights, warps of unknown energy spiking and receding, odd noises booming out and the list went on.

Most dismissed it as "CGI videos" trying to boost their likes or some nonsense, oh...they couldn't be further from the truth, what was transpiring was any thing but fake.

As sunset turn to early night, among the woodland's of Southern Station square one such being was all to familiar with sightings such as this, Cladded in military grade charcoal armour, mixed with smoke grey clothing under, a mint green visor that connected to his helmet refracted the moon light baring through the tree top canopy as his steel cap black boots trudged through the forested area. Rays of light casting over his armour as it broke through the tree tops up on high, the moon baring rays through any opening it could. While his equipment would be attempting to track the last know position of the sighted anomaly, navigation was proving troublesome. Out yonder he could see the lights of a city....a city he once knew as his home....before it all came down on one fateful night. 

No time to dwell, his search goes on, unaware of that someone else may of had the same idea as him, perhaps despite his vigilant nature he hoped the night would hide him from eyes. Mixed emotions ran through his being while attempting to focus on the objective at hand, his thoughts lingered to other issues at hand, issues around personal choices having to be made, a conflicted soul but he could not afford the distraction right now.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Resurging past Empty Re: Resurging past

Post by SillyString Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:36 am

Of course, where there's one hunter of anomalies, there is almost certainly another. Camille had heard about these so-called 'CGI videos' from overhearing a few of her students discussing them, and trying to decide if they were real or faked. It amazed her, after all that Station Square had seen, most of the populace seemed to look away from or shunt the supernatural into the realms of fiction. Perhaps that's what made them such easy prey to the evil machinations of forces beyond their small worldview. A shame, really.

Regardless, she decided to investigate. After all, why wouldn't she? It wasn't very far away, and it was something to get her out of her apartment. So here she was, walking through the nighttime forest, looking about rather cautiously. The grey and blue dog's outfit was... interesting to say the least, looking more like a character from some anime than a serious monster hunter. Camille liked the outfit, though... It looked decently formal while still providing all the mobility she could ever want. The sword hanging at her side jingled a tiny bit as she hopped over a log, her natural night vision assisting her in looking around the area.

Seeing nothing of particular importance, she continued to move through the forest, faster now, before she heard something. Footsteps, heavy footsteps. Stopping, listening, and waiting, the Lady slowly approached a spot where the footsteps would soon pass. Seeing a rather large man decked out in modern military hardware, she was a bit relieved, buuuut not by much. Stepping out a good distance in front of him in a casual manner, the much shorter Mobian tilted her head slightly to focus on the visor of the helmet. She had her hand placed in a relaxed but ready position on the hilt of her blade, but was very much hoping she wouldn't have to draw it.

"Nice night for a walk, hm?"
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 am

With night now setting in at full swing the sky above was scattered with stars twinkling, the moon bloomed its white blue light down providing limited sources of light among a otherwise shadowy landscape.

Crossing one boot over the next the decked out individual only seemed to press further ahead, night seemed his preferred choice of operation, not only far better camouflaged but contact was fare less likely to be encountered, getting entangled with locals was not exactly beneficial for his objective.

The eyes behind the helmet that had hid his face from the world for so long carefully kept track of the information relayed via the Heads up display. Monitoring what was in front of him. Static interference had began to take effect unfortunately the origin remained unknown.

Stealth however was not his strong suit and against his hope of being isolated, it turned out another was not so easily fooled by rigged footage, and despite the cover of darkness along with the natural concealment his covert searching would be blown.

Directly ahead of his position subtle footsteps are heard approaching, the snapping of twigs and crunching of brush lightly echoing before a shadowy like figure emerged from concealment While the shape was of Mobian origin the height seemed a bit taller then usual. 

The armoured individual stopped in his tracks, against the backdrop of the moon and lack of color across his equipment other then the mint green visor that stared right back at her he appeared just like silhouette, however while she seemed relaxed the masked being on the other hand was the polar opposite, while the impressive looking Echelon series rifle he bore was not pointed at her the gloved hands that held the weapon seemed to nervously tap against its polymer structure.

The life form before him gesturing too having a good ol stroll in the night, believing she was entirely unaware of where she was or what was going on, eventually his voice retorted, distorted and crackled as if coming through a radio.

"Not the exact place you should be walking.....I'd suggest you leave this area....now."

His tone did not indicate aggression but rather....concern, he still had no idea who he was dealing with but the fact they didn't suddenly come lunging at him meant it was not well......"One of them."
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:45 pm

Camille raised an eyebrow at the man, frowning slightly. Perhaps he thought she was some random person out in the first for no reason. To be fair, there was always those idiots who hung out in forests after dark... As Camille thought of this, she rolled her eyes at herself. She was one of those people. Regardless, it was still very odd for a paramilitary-looking trooper with a full combat load just being in the forest. Perhaps they were hunting someone?

“And why, praytell, should I be leaving? Do you have business in this area that you don’t want any... prying eyes to see?” Her posh accent was clearly noticeable as she shifted a bit to put the hand that was in her sword hilt onto her hip, seeming rather unimpressed. It was certainly very odd for him to be here, just as odd as it was for Camille to be strolling through the forest at this hour. “Or are you perhaps... *
looking for something? Something odd or... mysterious?”

Camille put extra stress on the word, wondering if the trooper would be willing to divulge a hint of why he’d be in the forest, before something piqued her curiosity. The helmet, while not something exactly new to her, was the only one she’d seen with a large amount of modifications. “Tell me, does that helmet of yours give you night vision?”
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:04 pm

A subtle breeze swept past the tree tops and brush alike scooping and whirling leaves across the land they now stood upon, It almost felt like one of those western stand offs only you know this wasn't a desert and it was in the middle of a forest...in the dead of night, still. The tenseness was radiating off him. What in fact was going through his head was trying to figure out just how the hell to handle this, words were not exactly his strong suit here.

Unknown to her that very helmet she was staring at was busy logging information on her attire and appearance, a pretty neat touch to a other high tech piece of gear, details such as height, structure, possible species as well as attempting to identify any weapon, given the nature of hers it was no surprise it did not identify it correctly.

Eventually her questioning would get her answers, his crackled radio voice retorted.

"I guess you could say that.....investigating possible leads to a near by anomalous sighting....I believe there is more out there then what I've seen....It's....something you don't really want to get entangled with....."

The cladded masked figure began to move ever so slowly towards the Mobians direction, the sound of equipment rattling clear and distinct, large portions of moon light illuminated his body halting when she posed one more question to him, regarding his helmet...not the most common question he had received...frankly no one ever bothered to ask him about it, this was some information he could dish out.

"Of course....Night vision...thermal...electromagnetic...respirator....and of course the most important.....protection.........What's that hanging off your hip huh.....clearly its some kind of blade....but my helmet is not able to clearly identify it.....no information exists....."

Playing a little dumb of course he could see her almost clearly, while night optics did not render at a great resolution it was good enough of a clear image. The freelancer was now no more then about 10 meters from her I suppose it was only fair he started questioning her as well.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:19 am

Camille stood quietly as the almost-standoff continued for a moment, the breeze and night air almost calming, waiting for the soldier to make the next move. While she waited, she briefly wondered if he had any sort of magic ability, but quickly dismissed the thought. She'd feel it if he did, plus soldiers (especially human soldiers) didn't often have any powers of any sort.

It was sort of admirable, them relying on only technology and their sheer force of will to survive. She had served militarily in the past, long ago, but once guns became more advanced it quickly became apparent that Camille had an almost untrainable lack of skill with anything more advanced than a musket.

She jumped a miniscule amount as the man spoke, being slightly startled out of her reverie. "Ah, then perhaps we're looking for the same thing..." She sighed slightly, peering at him. "Mysterious sightings and videos passed off as CGI and trickery, hm?" She shook her head as the man stated that it wouldn't be safe for her to be in the area and that she shouldn't get entangled with whatever has been going on. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to get entangled. If the odd sightings are related to evil, it is my duty to keep it at bay." She stated this with folded arms and a serious tone, seeming to be rather unimpressed.

As Camille watched the man move closer, she rolled her eyes. "Oh, for heaven's sake, I'm not gonna snap at you. The farther away we are, the louder we sound, and the more attention we attract." With that, she moved to within a a few meters of him, stopping as he spoke again and tapping her finger against the hilt of her blade. "Ah, your helmet is highly modified and full of all those fun technologies, as I expected it to be." Camille fell silent for a moment, attempting to come up with a suitable workaround to admitting that her sword was made by an evil warlock and was almost tainted with as much dark magic as she was. "My sword is a... shall we say... magically imbued blade. It is not surprising it isn't on any records, seeing as it is much older than any sort of modern technology. It isn't likely to be documented or recognized by any electronic device your helmet may have."

Looking about and frowning she held up a hand and summoned a small ball of black flames into her palm, the unnatural fire somehow producing a weak light that illuminated her features barely but not enough to mess with her night vision, Shrike's helmet, or telegraph them to anything that might be in the forest. "I do believe our goals align on this occasion, Mister...?"
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 am

True as her assumption would ever be, while the masked freelancer was of human origin, tho unclear at this point if truly fully blooded human he did lack any magical abilities of his own, however that was not to say the being did not possess other attributes, but those remained hidden.

The former G.U.N soldier clearly had no idea of just who it was he crossed paths with, too him what stood before was perhaps at least in his eyes either just another "Wanna be hero" or perhaps a maybe a mercenary, it was not really clear at this point but the details and gaps could be filled in later.

The mobians reluctance to heed his warning and further more deciding to get directly involved left him with mixed emotions on the matter. While the pair had no idea they shared a background in dark times and witnessing of lack of a better term "Evil." Neither for now would probably suspect it. The assistance would be welcomed in the regards of mere backup but on the other hand, if this turned ugly and potentially lead to her death...well let's just say it would only add to the weight carried on his conscious as is.

The gap was bridge a little closer, clearly still evidently hesitant, in close proximity however he finally got a good look at who it was before him. Taller then the average Mobian. The eyes behind the mint visor lightly looked over her. At first her figure caught his attention athletic but still showing curves, I mean kinda hard not too but it was her eyes that almost glowed that really stole the show, they have this remarkable shimmer too them he could not understand. Fur seemed smooth and soft and it's darken nature provided good camouflage against the backdrop of the night. Her hair well maintained even when apparently out and about in times such as this. Would he remark on it ? Course not, he did not wanna shoot himself in the foot, a light shake too his head snapped him out of it.

The Mobian would attempt to conceal the true nature of the blade, simply classing it as "Magically imbued." Did he even believe in such a concept ? Too him Technology and science were the forefront, a gentle bob of the mint visor helmet was the answer she got for her bladed weapon.

The armoured entity figured she could probably handle herself in close quarter combat a field he....sorely lacked in, preferring to keep his targets ranged and neutralizing them before they could return the favor. Back on point it was evident why there was no record of the sword...but it did not fade from his curiosity.

"Magical.....alright....I'll roll with it....Not the strangest thing I've heard or seen....but it looks like it will do the job...should trouble find us."

Just then a light ignited in the palm of her hand, a flame conjured right before his eyes, how the ? Was there a lighter hidden somewhere ? No time for questions tho tho, priority was to keep on the move.

"I suppose they do.........there is no need for mister....you can just call me Shrike.....of course I am going to need your name as well Mrs ?"

She could tell on the way Shrike's helmet had finally locked onto a faint signal, pointing further south, unknown origin, good enough of a first stop for recon. 

"Tell me on the way I just got a positive signal local, keep one hand on the blade and the head on a swivel, Stick close.....if well you want too I suppose."

Shrike took point, his G2A3 Echelon rifle raised and braced against his left shoulder plate as exploration continued towards the unknown signal in the dead of night.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:45 am

Camille smiled up at the man. He truly didn't have an idea that he was talking to a three century old monster hunter who had seen almost everything. Why would he, anyways? He probably only saw a young, well-dressed woman who seemed bright-eyed and looking for adventure (Which she was, in a way), and he probably assumed she was rather innocent. Regardless, Camille had a feeling she'd be able to prove her mettle soon...

"Indeed? You seem to be well traveled." She drew Blackened Soul slowly, the dark iron blade with gold inlays well polished, with the sinister magic causing it to glint cruelly in the moonlight and the light of the small dark fire she held in her hand. Many had fell to it before she managed to claim it, the former owner of the blade falling to his own creation. Perhaps there was a metaphor there...?

Camille raised an eyebrow as Shrike found a signal, readying her blade and moving the sword in small circles to warm up before extinguishing her flames. 

Camille smiled when Shrike told her there was no need for 'mister'. "Apologies for the formality. I was taught in a way that makes me seem... archaic to some." She smiled slightly, committing his name to memory. "Shrike... A nice name, indeed. I am Camille."

Allowing him to take point, Camille covered the rear, covering his... six. Was that what soldiers called it nowadays? Regardless, Camille was actively looking about, staying close to Shrike. "Do you have any experience with these odd sightings? I have experience with things similar, but nothing that looked quite like what those videos showed." Asking this quietly, Camille waited on his reply, simply watching and waiting.
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:06 am

There was one of those gusted sighs one leaves when trying to refocus on something kinda of like a frustrated exhale, it was more about trying to his mind on track and not wanting to keep asking questions. Head already fixed with mixed emotions, couldn't afford any thing more right now in hostile territory.

It was true for the most part, choosing to refrain from commenting on her looks for what he saw, but it was not exactly common for him either to work along side another especially a lady, why ? Well I guess another mystery in of it self.

The Duo were now on the move...slowly and with good reason! Would not exactly want to read head first into something that could potentially cause your head to explode. Apart from the gusts of air sweeping ever so often, the light chirps of crickets filled the other silence of the moon lit night.

"I've seen a fare share of places....in a rather short space of time....Spagonia....Oasis city...Northamer....a handful of creepy underground remnants of a failed corporation.....The rolling grass plains of the great woods outskirts......one I have not seen in a long time is Station square.......once my home before......before"

Pausing in that sentence the well equipment human stopped dead in his tracks....static was now starting to interfere with the helmets heads up display. Information began to ping something no more then about 100 meters from their destination.

"......We got contact......100 meters and closing....major interference.....form up too my left....see the fallen tree trunk....get too it and keep low..."

Lowering himself Shrike began to move with urgency, avoiding any obstacle in this path, equipment rattling and clinking as he went promptly kneeling behind a fallen tree trunk, it was not the most ideal of cover but it was better then standing in the open. With a shoulder pressed against it, he lightly arched his back just enough to peer over the top of it.....forced now to switch off his Heads up display the interference was too significant to ignore...this meant he would loose his night vision capability.

If one was to peer over said trunk.....there about 30 meters around a large clump of boulders in a otherwise open patch of grass land surrounded by the very woods they walked in....was...perhaps something in her life time may never seen.

A ball of levitating light, well not exactly pure light, its blooming glow around its exterior was lit up however its core seem to be a zone where light simply did not exist, around it the very image appeared to be warping and contorting as if it broke reality where ever it hovered about. Every so often a bolt of anemic green energy whipped out. This anomaly floated in a clockwise pattern around this secluded zone.

"We will have to talk later......It appears we have found the source of that interference......"

Shrike lifted a worn glove hand to the side of his helmet it appears he was trying to contract some one.   

"Lysander this is Shrike....I've made contact with unidentified anomalous entity, south of station square. What do you want me to do ?.......Lysander come in.......Lysander do you read...........Lysander......damn....coms are down....Alright Camille I need to asses the nature of the anomaly, trying and confirm it's origin....which means lucky for us...we need to get closer....."

Shrike carefully clambered over the large fallen tree, his head fixed too the arcing sphere of light drifting around the solid grey stones, instinctively or perhaps just common decency he stretched out a hand back to her offering some kind of assistance to help the lady over the fallen trunk

"Huh....I bet you never seen any thing like this before have ya ?" 
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:23 am

Camille listened silently as the armored human spoke about his travels, shooting a concerned look over at him at the mention of Station Square. "You haven't gone back there yet?" She said, adopting a tone that a compassionate teacher would use when talking to distressed student. "I understand avoiding places with bad memories..." She trailed off after Shrike indicated a contact, gripping her sword tighter and preparing herself for whatever may be next.

Following the soldier closely, the Lady moved behind the fallen tree trunk with grace and a lack of noise, especially compared to Shrike, noting that he did something with his helmet. "Do you have any idea... What that is? Sure, floating balls of energy are a dime a dozen, but I haven't seen one that looks like this..." She fell silent as she watched Shrike attempt to communicate with someone over what she assumed was a helmet radio, frowning slightly as the interference seemed to overcome his radio. "We're on our own?" She asked, seeming unconcerned at the moment.

Raising an eyebrow as Shrike clambered over the trunk, she smirked a bit as he offered her a hand to help her get over the trunk. An unnecessary offer, but a welcome gesture nonetheless. Not letting the offer go to waste, she took his hand and used her surprising athleticism to use the hand as leverage to flip over the trunk and land neatly on her two feet next to the trooper. "Not exactly..." She said, tilting her head at the orb. "...As I said before, it's similar to some things, but the energy is very different." Sword in hand, she stood ready to follow Shrike's lead.
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:22 am

On their own. Well that certainly was not out of place, The former trooper was well used too the alone setting by now however this time it seemed like fate had decided otherwise. Little did the freelancer know of her true origin and the words she spoke For she too seemed to avoid either one or multiple places with a dark history. Perhaps all in due time more would be unveiled. However...Station square was...a place he longed to return too, why he never did well perhaps answers would follow later.

For now the duo would be with in no then a dozen or so meters from the strange anomalous activity. The odd behavior of this energy let a spine tingling sensation following through the masked figure. 

With the gesture to clamber over the trunk was simply out of habit, Sure he may of been a bit roughed up, his armor had seen better days and so himself but he did so his best too retain the gentleman side of his soul, could he trust her yet ? Probably not but it didn't mean he could not offer assistance in some form or another. Her skills in pulling off the flip was a impressive sight to him. There would be no way on this good green planet he could of done the same, embarrassing himself would not be on his too do list right at this moment. With her now by his side, the mint visor helmet turned to the paranormal instance lingering before them With out his helmet systems function Shrike was going to have to get dangerously close to the entity to properly identify the origin or at the very least attempt to do so.

"Alright Mis- Camille....here comes the dicey part....since my helmets integrated systems are not responding due to interference I'm going to have to get closer to the origin point, I have another way of identifying the energy source.....Since you Mobians have a greater sense of smell and sight then we do I am gonna be requiring you to keep vigilant of the surrounding area....we are in the open here...surrounded by cover....past experience has taught me not to trust a quiet night....."

Seemed simple enough to follow Shrike once more took point his black steel caps trampling the nearly knee high wavering grass in this secluded open spot among the outskirts. Rifle in hand and every meter growing further cautious. As the pair began to close the distance it was then the radial effects started to occur, nor would this be mild feed back not at all, something far far more worse.

First too come would be the hollowed whispers or unknown origin, incoherent and unable to be understood, combined with slightly disruption to the eyes images. These symptoms only would continue to escalate the further the pair pressed in, Voices became clearer as the orb it self or the energy around it seemed to be emanating a type Psi like pulse, messing with the minds of those who stray too close too it. The visions only became far more vivid. To Camille these would be almost targeting her worse fears as if flashing images of dark times for her, the voices echoed from familiar times and beings. How it was capable of doing this was unclear. Too Shrike the same effect transpired, images of dark empty hall ways of the Aribis installation, the chaos, the escape. Yet...He pressed on the uncomfortable nerve only growing.

"Camille if you starting to see and hear things....they not real ok.....localized psi emissions coming from the anomaly are messing with our minds.....what ever it may show you or how real it may look...it won't be..."

One of Shrikes gloved hands gestures for the Lady Mobian to remain at the 5 meter gap while he continued ahead gingerly. By now the effects were pretty apparent, he was hoping she could...handle it while he began to set about identifying the source or origin, attempting to shrug off any mental attacks it through at him.

Echo's of the past coming back to haunt them in the dead of night. As the readings started to flood in, the information being jotted down was disturbing to say the least, so much so that the armored figures heart rate began to escalate to that of a panic state far more then the psi images around.

"That's.....not possible.....No....the log must of read a failed ID............No, same result....but how.........we....desto-"

Before that very sentence could be concluded the very sphere that lit up the night area began show signs of increasing activity. It's bolts becoming more frequent, mass escalating, readings were spiking to dangerous levels as if building to the point of eruption.

"Camille! Clear the area! Get back! Signs indicating energy burst"

Moments later the sphere erupted in swath of pale bright green energy The wave catching Shrike in the shove wave and hurling him about 20 or so meters back. The energy rose into the sky, crackling and hissing as it began dissipating with a almost voice like scream. However the situation only would become worse. Among the tree lines to Camille's front rifts started too appear, strange mangled entities comprised of very similar energy, bearing sets of yellowish eyes tho they all seemed to be oddly shaped and some even appeared to be harboring elements of the local terrain in their bodies. Pair by pair eyes began to show in the tree lines. 

With the major source of interference gone, Shrikes helmet kicked back into life, motion scanner was off the charts..contacts all around. 

"Camille! Watch your left! Incoming!" 

And thus the first entity closed the distance abnormally fast, lunging into the air ready to strike down upon the Mobian with brute force, odds were against them....time to prove that mettle because there were a lot of em now bearing down.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:22 am

As they approached and Shrike indicated that he needed her eyes and ears to keep watch, Camille nodded. She hadn't seen anything out of place in the environment yet (besides the obvious orb of energy) so she stayed quiet, following the soldier. As they approached, Camille felt the energy begin to try to lie to her, to trick her. She shook her head in an attempt to push it away and focus, but it only intensified as they got closer.

First, it was simple flashes. A long, stone hallway, a set of stairs going down, and a dark basement lit sparsely by candlelight. The closer they got, the more detailed they became. Memories of dark rituals she had witnessed and monsters she had seen through her life. But when she got even further, one memory played in her head again. That horrible night... She could see flashes of her family whispering evil incantations, summoning it...

In an instant, she shook her head as both Shrike's words and her common sense took hold. It wouldn't be here. It was impossible. "Do try your best to hurry up..." She said, more than happy to remain far away from the anomaly. Trying to focus on her surroundings and ignore the visions, only the occasional whisper got through to her. 'Usurper... Betrayer... Murderer...' 

She stood on guard, her sword raised and at the ready as Shrike monitored the anomaly, listening to his mutterings. "A lot of things are possible when dealing with these sorts of things, Shrike! Be careful!" Of course, soon after she said that she felt the energy of the anomaly change. Turning her head so she could see the orb, her eyes widened slightly. She knew it was going to blow, and Shrike just confirmed it.

Jumping to try and hit the deck before it exploded, Camille mostly succeeded, only being blasted a few meters compared to Shrike. Dazed a bit, she stood up and adopted a prepared stance upon the rifts opening, narrowing her eyes at the creatures. They weren't going to be very friendly, she could tell. Attempting to decide whether or not to charge, she had the decision made for her by one of the monsters.

She felt it getting nearer just before Shrike called out to warn her. Gripping the hilt of her magic blade with both hands, she swung with masterful ease and struck the pouncing creature, fully intent on bisecting it with the one swing.
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:16 pm

What was suppose to be a simple recon job or locating and identifying the source of the anomaly had now escalated to a battle to survive. It was unclear just how these rifts in real time were taking place but there was no time to dwell on it, contact was hot and it was closing fast.

With the swing of her bladed weapon her strike would cut a clear divide through the first entity, its momentum carrying its dismembered body, crashing into the rolling grass plains, her blade would show no signs of blood or any material from the creature. Its separated figure slowly began to fizzle and dissipate. vanishing into the sky above.

More began to converge on her location, all shapes and sizes but all seemed uni-formal of the pale green colour. Five were closing the gap fairly quickly 2 coming in from her left and 3 coming in from her right. The screams and other noises emanating from these life forms were incredibly unsettling, a mixture of beast and if some times tormented shouts. 

Suddenly there was a thunderous crack as one of the entities too her right collapsed onto the floor with a heavy THUMP, Shrike was back on is feet, rushing to her side as quickly as possible. He's rifle roared too life as he opened fire upon the paranormal threats assailing them, empty cases being spat out of the ejection port as round after round went down range. The flashes from the barrel lighting the area around him like a god damn pinball machine. 

Taking up position directly too the left of the Mobian lady it would appear tho their combat strengths were vastly different, they couldn't of been more fitting at the same time, those who got too close could easily be dispatched by the skilled swordsmen skills of Camille while those still coming in from a far could be dropped like a bag of dirt by Shrikes barrage of weapons fire. From target to target Shrike tried his best to put down one after another, frantically watching his helmets hud light up with warming markers.

What was about to make the situation a lot worse were yet the inclusion of the fact that some of these twisted nightmarish entities were making use of the pale green arcane energy as a means of ranged attacks. Bolts of powerful unstable whips sparked out impacting in close proximity too the pair, dirt and debris were kicked up as explosions ripped the terrain. Shrike knew the odds were not looking good that and well he didn't come with a entire armory strapped too him so ammo might be a concern. Priority now was to kill those in the rear who were launching ranged attacks upon them....He knew the perfect candidate for the job.

"Camille! We not gonna last long out here with those ranged assholes laying it on us! I need you to flank through the left side! Cut your way through and swing through into the tree line Hit those Sob's in their flank and waste em! Hurry! I'll draw their attention as long I can GO!"

Shrike ejected a spent magazine out of his rifle, pulling another from his front chest rig, slapping it into place, clanking back the handle, Shrike lay down a barrage of fire on the right flank, attempting to draw as many away as he could to make her path as clear as one could get, of course between her and the tree line more entities would be waiting, he was counting on her and her skills to put a end to the ranged entities for the Bolt attacks were getting comfortably close.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:43 am

Camille fought alongside Shrike, her sword whirring through the air and dropping the creatures. She too could see that it would not be long until they were overrun, and the ranged attacks that were coming their way weren't going to be of any help. Luckily, Shrike also seemed to be thinking the same, indicating to her that he'd draw the attention and attempt to allow her to flank the ranged creatures. "Understood, Shrike!"

She trusted the man's judgement, but before she went for the flank she gave the nearby creatures a parting gift. Pointing a finger towards a particularly bunched up group, a small bead of unnatural dark blue flame impacted the center and exploded, consuming the creatures in the conflagration.

Vaulting over creatures, hacking off limbs and heads while moving toward her flanking goal, and was generally a whirling dervish, using her blade and the occasional magic shield to protect herself. A spare claw did spark off of the magical energy that she surrounded herself with, but nothing to particularly worry about.

Finally reaching her flank, she rolled in-between the bolt-shooting creatures and cut some of them down, while she fired lances of dark energy at the rest. The dark energy made cracks of sound similar to high-power rifle fire, and their impacts would have similar effects if they hit.
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:27 am

A true force of nature, her onslaught upon the creatures cleared a path, leaving not much else them dismembered parts in her wake, she almost seemed unstoppable as regardless of how many seemed to be baring down upon her, her skill prevailed. Through energy and blade alike they fell before her. The horrific images collapsing by the dozen. 

Explosions ripped up from the detonation of magical energy upon the soil flinging entities and debris in virtually all directions, it was a true sight to be hold, so much so that the lone armoured figure was suppose to be holding the right flank stopped for a few moments. The charcoal helmet shifted too his left watching the chaotic nature of her assault at display, it was rare that Shrike was a figure to be stunned or surprised, and yet here he was for but a few seconds, observing this lone figure just utterly annihilating them. 

The battle raged on, the land around them a flurry of colors from the power being discharged from both sides. It had been a while Shrike had to go toe to toe with enemies. The right flank was holding...barely. Swiftly switching targets he would drop one after the next, his helmet locking onto the next figure, aiming reticle finding its mark before a torrent of bullets cut the being apart. 

Unfortunately he could only engage one at a time, and they seemed to be closing the distance, moments later one such being was able to get with in hand to hand range, the entity shoved Shrikes weapon away, the armoured figure retaliated with bringing the butt of the gun back striking the being across the right side of its jaw, jamming his rifle into its mid section, selecting the secondary trigger and blasting the entity with his under barrel launcher, the creature took flight only moments later for it too detonate as the charge wedged into it went off, causing a hell of a sky explosion.

On the left flank her actions were getting her closer, even with the restricted nature of the terrain, her swift maneuvers hacked, slashed and cut down the menace. Upon launching her assault onto the ranged entities, a few would be drawn to her presence. Re-orienting their attacks upon her. The magical bolts striking one of the beasts causing them to almost instant combustion into a wave of warped energy. Three larger entities that were capable of discharging this power now unleashed upon her in a storm of whip lash like strikes, One other such beast towering about 7 foot glistening in its shimmering archaic energy sprouting its large 6 digit curved clawed hand stormed ahead retracting it and throwing a swing for her mid section.

Shrike was starting to struggle, stress was starting to take over, he was finding his hands were struggling to get the next magazine loaded in, topping it off, ammo was dramatically low he had a best 2 more to load and a hand full of tubed grenades before he had exhausted his supply. 

The cracks of her energy sounding like ranged gunshots drew his attention over to her, which unfortunately leave him open for that brief few seconds. Before he could focus again a bolt of arcing green energy cracked past him, while the bolt it self missed a forked element struck the human on the right chest plate, a showering of sparks fragmented off of him, stumbling back from the impact, Shrike would attempt to gain his footing before a second far stronger lash impacted just a bit higher on the chest plating. The hot aftershock of the impact diverted most of the energy up and around his shoulder causing nasty burns to his neck and right shoulder, shrapnel from armour splintered off as the sheer kinetic impact force would send him too the ground about 5 meters back.

Despite the heavy impact and injuries sustained the mysterious armoured figure began to slowly prop himself using what strength he had to stabilize himself onto his right knee, stubbornly to continue fighting despite his declining ability to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7DGxsHPhM (Thought some music is fitting.)
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:51 am

Keeping as aware as she could of her surroundings, she was disappointed to see that several of her attacks missed. Her heart was beating faster now, the stress starting to get to her. She was struck twice (the rest being intercepted by a magic shield she created), the layer of magical energy around her keeping her from any major damage, but she could tell that she was going to probably feel the burns later from the immediate pain that came to her. It didn't help that she was thrown around by the impacts, either, momentarily stunned before regaining her footing and firing more dark lances at the offending creatures.

It didn't come without a price, though. As she was distracted by the other creatures, the large one swung at her just as she turned to face it. Jumping back, she managed to avoid getting disemboweled by the claw but gained several deep scratches in her lower torso, grunting slightly from the pain. She'd had worse, but this was still something like no other...

Focusing her magic into her blade, Blackened Soul gained a dark aura as she slashed to cut the offending creature's midsection, much deeper than what it did to her, adding an extra arc of dark energy to hopefully cut the enemy in half. Additionally, she slammed her blade into the ground, causing a black and blue shockwave to emanate from her to hopefully push any encroaching creatures away. Camille had to admit, this was certainly quite the situation and she didn't particularly enjoy it...
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:31 am

The added extra power to her blade indeed cut straight through the large Class 4 entity putting it down effectively, the situation was indeed a dire until the realization that their actions and it's impact were having upon the entities before him. The more the pair destroyed the weaker their grip upon the land was evident, the energy was being lost at a significant rate, every time one was struck down it further weakened them. Her shockwave blast was in fact strong enough against the weakened entities to almost wide the last remaining ones from existence, However the last Class 4 still stood, weakened but very much capable.

This was evident by some of the weaker Class 1's simply just dropping too the grass laden floor for no apparent reason, with no enough arcane like source left to draw upon the tide began to swiftly turn. Those that remained before her began to fade rather rapidly, their attacks seemed almost laughable compared to what they once were.

On the left side the Armoured freelancer was wounded but not out of the fight, the Hud on his helmet recognizing a massive decrease in energy levels in the localized area. Figures began dropping like flies, the interference of static was subsiding. Back on his feet, Shrike hauled ass towards Camille position, finishing off any straggler who was left standing through placement of solid bursts of rifle fire. Adrenaline coursing through him stemming the pain, I suppose the stubbornness was helping as well. 
Closing in on her location Shrike identified the 7 foot creature. It's Emerald green like skin almost blending it in with the forest behind it. 

As Camille faced off with the Class 4, intervention would come swiftly, off too her immediate left was the sound of a distinct THOOP this followed by a faint increasing whistle tone, next thing a explosion engulfed the last standing beast, the concussive impact out right decimating it, into fragmented remains of arcane Aura.

Silence fell.....the chaos had subsided....

The sound of boots were heard approaching her, Shrike had finally reached her, and it was he who had sent the intervening shot to destroy the creature. The impact and burn marks from his own close call were all too evident struggling to keep his shoulder up right but appearing to shrug it off. He came up along side of her checking the near by surroundings before attending to Camille

"Camille! Camille! Are you alright ?! I think we manage to eradicate the lot of them signs indicate almost complete drop in all readings.......We should get the hell outta here...What ever remnants of that energy were left have subsided the anomaly has vanished  ....Do you know perhaps of any where we can go that's not too far off ? Don't think we should be out here any longer then we need to right now.""
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:55 pm

Camille gave a small smile to Shrike. “Thanks for the intervention. That one probably would’ve hurt a bit more...” She trailed off as she felt the rather deep cuts on her lower torso and the burns on her shoulder. “...That being said, these sting like bi-, er... They sting a bit.” She sighed slightly. “I’ll be fine for now, though... My clothes are a different story.” Sheathing her blade and looking at the battered Shrike, she raised an eyebrow. “Are you alright? You look a bit battered as well.”

After she said this, she gazed at Shrike for a moment before seeming to come to a decision. “My car’s nearby, and my home isn’t too far either... We can go there. I’ve got stuff that can help fix us up.” Gazing around at the dark forest, her dark eyes narrowed slightly. Such an odd form of energy... And a dangerous one. The Lady would have to do more research, and probably ask Shrike if he knew what those things were.

She held up a paw flat and whispered a word in an unknown language, before something that looked like a glowing, ornate compass wheel appeared over her palm, made out of blue light. Camille studied it for a moment, turning a bit before getting the reading she wanted. “By my little direction finder, going that way will get us to my vehicle.” With that, she began to walk that direction, looking about at the dark forest. “Despite fighting for our lives in here, this forest still has a certain charm, doesn’t it?”
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm

The armoured figure arched over for a moment placing a gloved hand upon each of his knees slowly to regain himself and breath, still coming to grips with what they had just gone through, straightening his back it seemed like she got the worst of it and still remained some what calm. Thankfully Shrike's armour had done it's job there was a nasty impact spot on the right chest plate but it had taken the impact, left side of the neck had minor burns as did the shoulder but nothing he couldn't handle....or wanting to show how much it hurt really

"Yea....Yea I'm...alright..not gonna keel over dead....you got the worst of it tho."

Her offer to get the hell out of here was a welcome one, despite their actions the energy reading had not completely faded but it was so minimal even his equipment was barely registering it still the area could be dangerous, getting to her residence was her best bet, he was too far from Lysanders outpost at this point.

"Alright, it's better then being stuck out here....That energy source was incredibly volatile. So much for the simple recon mission..."

The freelancer stood idly by as he gaze on at her actions, a glowing object appeared suddenly in her paw, a curious head tilt by Shrike showed some interest in what that was...never in a million would he suspect magic....despite what they just had experienced he presumed some possible fancy holographic projection technology. Once the Mobian lady had her direction the pair set off for her vehicle. Carefully treading the uneasy dark woods of Station squares southern zone

"One of the more tranquil places in this other wise crazy world.....reminds me of the Great woods further south near the largest Mobian city....Mobotroplis...but these are closer to my former home so yea...nostalgia...By the way....where is your home ?"
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:59 am

Camille looked Shrike up and down for a moment as they walked. “Yes, your armor seemed to take the brunt of the hits... Personally, I’ve always found anything more than stiffened leather or similar terrible to move in, but that’s more likely due to the way I fight. My magic protects me well enough... Although I usually am not dealing with so many at once.” She looked down at the magic compass in her hand, adjusting her path ever so slightly. “I usually only deal with one or at most three or four at one time, so this was a learning experience for me... I need to figure out ways to utilize my magic in ways better for... crowd control.”

Camille snickered at the comment about this being a recon mission. “Ah, recon... I served in a scout unit briefly, although that was, er... some time ago. In my experience, though... You usually don’t scout in rather heavy gear. I suppose doctrine changes over the years.” She frowned slightly, realizing that she may have accidentally opened up questions about her age. No matter... Some of the things in her home would bring even more questions. 

She saw the head tilt from Shrike when he originally spotted her magic compass. Tilting her head back at him as they continued to walk, she smiled slightly. “You don’t know much about magic, do you?” The Lady asked this with a small amount of amusement in her voice at the curiosity of the much larger man.

“Ah yes... The Great Woods do look similar...” She trailed off, thinking about Shrike’s words about the world being chaotic. “While it’s true the world is chaotic, I believe it is much better than it was a couple centuries ago. And there will always be places and moments of tranquility... Such as the grounds around my home. They’re very peaceful.” Of course, that wasn’t because of just the location. She had set up noise canceling barriers and a few other things that, while exhausting, gave her one of the quietest and most peaceful places she had ever known.

Looking to Shrike for a moment before answering, Camille smiled a bit. “I live on a decent amount of property on the outskirts of Station. It’s maybe a twenty minute drive from where we are now.” Looking down at her compass, she once again adjusted her direction of travel ever so slightly. “Speaking of which, my car is quite near.”
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:51 pm

Tho the danger was past now the cladded human still seemed to treat the area around him as such, the helmet looking here, there and all around it would only be when her voice broke the stillness his stance would ease up a bit, more importantly the lowering of his sophisticated weapon of choice. Her remarks on his armor were noted he was after all tried to fight is a very different style of engagement probably the polar opposite to her style.

"The way you fight you don't need armor, I've rarely seen some one with close quarter combat skills like you have, most of them are just all talk or rely on brute force of size to win....Impressive to say the least but honestly."

Shrike was about to remark on her appearance and how fitting the outfit was on her but he chose to avoid that potential mind field and skip ahead. 

"if it's one thing I've learned is that when the odds are clearly not on your side...sometimes seeking the better side of valor is a better option...live to fight another day."  

The Mobian continued as the pair moved in the direction the compass instructed them to do so, the ambiance of night seemed a little less hostile when you got someone else to take one's mind of the negative thoughts and the paranoia thought patterns. Something else she spoke of was her stint as a scout unit operative, had she in fact served with G.U.N ? If not them there was only the royal army but still yet another bit of familiar ground they shared.

"Yea I am not exactly cut out for the stealthy approach never would of excelled at infiltration or path finders....just..really interesting to hear it from another....I suppose you served in the ranks of the G.U.N military ? Or perhaps the Royal army ? Seems you can recall some past experience ?"

While not exactly suspecting anything out of the ordinary besides the slap in the face obvious nature of her magical abilities who he still convinced was a form of tech. She now seemed to go on about the past about centuries before, Shrike was not exactly caught up with all things History but he had a fair understanding of past events, mostly from what he as been taught or explained too, She on the other hand talked about it like it was merely yesterday for her.

"Frankly I don't know much that far back in time....I do know some major events that took place...some of them best left in the past if you ask others....The great war....Where at one point humans fought Mobians......The first and second Robotnik wars....or as most have come to call him the Good Doctor..AKA Dr. Eggman...but further back to what you describe...I know very little...curious none the less..."

No doubt Camille was referring to a time long before that but she may be aware of those events that took place, her homestead was...something he did not expect but a welcome change he might add, her home was not located in the bustling metropolis of Station square but just outside of it far away from the overwhelming noise. 

"Huh...here I thought you may of been a city lady you sure loo- I mean um- Yea I am not exactly a "Crowd" Personal if you know what I mean."

Assured they were close Shrike hurried along to keep pace wishing to reach her vehicle as soon as possible, the further they got away from this zone the better, the sound of a peaceful out of the way homestead sounded exactly his kinda location.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:57 am

Camille smiled a bit at Shrike’s compliments, nodding slightly. “Ah, thank you... I suppose it does make sense to retreat, hm? I, for one, very much enjoy my life... Although I wouldn’t hesitate to lay it down to save an innocent soul.” She looked down at the ground with a small smirk at her words. It was a true statement, yes... But she was so far from an innocent soul herself. To keep others from becoming like her was the Lady’s true goal.

She smiled ruefully as she listened to Shrike wonder which military she served under, waiting for him to finish his thoughts before answering quite vaguely. “Mmm... Perhaps something like that.” Camille said, frowning slightly. “It’s not a time I have particularly fond memories of. Terrible thing, war...” She shook her head sadly. “So many lost to the whims of madmen.” She was quiet for a few more moments, sighing heavily and dissipating her magic compass. “I know where we are now.” She said rather simply.

Camille smiled at Shrike as he spoke about the history he knew. “Ah, I make it a business to know history. I’m a history professor at Station Square University... Which is not something many expect from me, considering how old I appear to be.” She smirked a bit as they entered a clearing at the end of a bumpy dirt road, before she motioned to a black older model SUV with a small lift and quite aggressive off-road tires. “That’s my little exploring vehicle... I drive something else for when I go into the city.”

Camille gave a small laugh, an elegant yet musical sound, at the mention of Shrike thinking she was a city girl. “Yes, I do look like the type, don’t I?” She said, smiling and walking to the vehicle, still snickering occasionally. “Despite my family home holding... less than pleasant memories... I did always enjoy the forested, isolated location.” Even if the true reason for said isolation was the pure evil that happened in it... Camille shook her head slightly. No need to think about that now.

Camille opened the driver’s side door the the SUV and began to climb on in, looking to the soldier. “You can place whatever gear you don’t want to carry in the backseat or the cargo area, Shrike.” With that, she closed her door and waited for Shrike, humming to herself as she did.
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:23 pm

Willing to fight till the end to protect, a mutual desire in his own soul tho he did wish he could avoid such a fate to ensure he could continue that role, never really seemed to be a shortage of those who needed to be protected a noble goal of hers, especially in a world where many had become rather selfish and narcissistic her outlook was a breath of fresh air, course he didn't realize quite yet the depth of bigger picture but still.

The Mobian lady seemed dishearten by those days when she did serve perhaps some tragic losses had occurred during service period, while unable to be seen, after witnessing her shift in mood Shrike too frowned, maybe it was not the best topic in the world too discuss, bringing up hurtful memories never was to be honest. Her words about madmens were indeed true because at the end of it all it would be them who instigated it but the poor grunts on the ground who had to fight it, being of ex G.U.N origin that reality was all too clear from the get go.

On a far more positive note her spark returned with the discussion of "History." Something that brought the light back to her blue eyes, her profession perhaps given she worked with in the confines of Station square city as professor. Shrike's visor peered over to her promptly when she spoke those words, not only was she a extremely capable combatant but topping it off she was a professor.

"Wow for real ? I didn't really expect someone who could make short work of creatures with skilled swordsmen techniques would also be professor....brain and brawn...best of both worlds....no not something I expected at all...actually I thought you were a vigilante of sorts, or maybe a operative.....Old ? Old is not really the term I'd describe your appearance....In fact I'd say you look young to be a professor, I heard it took years and years of study and practice to become one but hey...maybe you are a fast learner, much more so then I am."

don't judge a book by its cover really fitted in well for all of this, first appearances are not always what they seem and yes she did indeed appeared more then what was thought, choosing to avoid her family home as a topic, maybe a troubled childhood ? Or something else entirely, her choice of forested or calmer locations was a yet another enjoyable discovery. Shrike was not a fan of the densely populated zones despite growing up very close to Station square on its northern suburb of Affendale he pleasantly enjoyed the more tranquil and for a lack of a better term "Unknown" aspects of the world. Station square both held cherished and...tragic memories both in the past, where it belonged.

"I have to agree with you there the world beyond always interested me more especially those of the great unknown and uncovered. Well I....I mean you do look sophisticated, elegant and together with it all! Hmh and I am like the polar opposite hmh."

A far cry from Shrikes attire who seemed to of seen better days "Scruffy or roughed up." Seemed like fitting terms for him tho he kept in good hygiene wear and tear were evident as day light, couldn't quite hold a candle to her skills and appearance. However finally they reached her vehicle a blackened SUV with specialized tires designed for harsh terrain navigation. It had been a while since Shrike had actually traveled in a vehicle seemingly moving from location on foot so this was a welcome change. Given allowance to set aside what gear he did not wanna hold onto the armoured human naturally set his rifle down on the back seat making sure it was no longer armed, further more he removed some of the extra webbing gear around his chested armour, removing the utility belt that head various pouches, it was not very comfortable sitting with it on, tho he would choose to keep his upper torso equipment strapped to his body as well as his helmet, a odd choice given they were out of danger but hey. 

Before climbing into the passenger seat he took a short gaze at the distant lights of the city, letting out a subtle sigh, swiftly he hauled himself beside her shutting the door

"Alright Let's go....eager to see this household of yours..."
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyString Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:42 am

Camille smiled to herself at Shrike’s words, snickering ever so slightly. She also realized she almost inadvertently straight-up told him that she was much older than she appeared, although she was thankful for the out given to her by his statement. She started to speak as she started up the vehicle, the SUV’s engine giving off a throaty growl that betrayed the fact that it might be more high-performance than it seemed. “Thank you, Shrike. What I truly meant was that I feel much older. I suppose the stress of the job does that, heh. I don’t have any grey hair yet, though, so that’s wonderful...” The Lady soon had turned the vehicle around and they began to move down the dirt road at a comfortable pace, the road in front of them lit by the bright headlights of the vehicle. “...I suppose you could consider me a kind of vigilante on the side. A part-time vigilante, perhaps? I don’t fight crime, though, I usually deal with things such as curses or monsters.”

The vehicle continued down the road, with Camille smiling at the compliment from Shrike. “Oh, I do believe I fit the words ‘elegant’ and ‘sophisticated’. If there was one good thing my family had, it was a sense of style and what to wear to certain events. And, if I may ‘toot my own horn’... I think I learned it quite well. Although perhaps I should invest in a tougher material for my vest...” she grimaced slightly as she gently placed a paw on the slash marks on her torso, of which the bleeding had now stopped. Her rather stylized vest was absolutely ruined. “I have to get these customs made anyways... Maybe some sort of Kevlar-based fabric...?” She asked rather vaguely, seeming to muss to herself as the vehicle trundled down the road. “It might be useful to have.”

After that, she sat quietly as she drove down the roads, eventually reaching a paved one. Taking another turn, it seemed there was the occasional house with large amounts of land surrounding it, but nothing that could be considered close to urban or suburban. For now, the dog just drove quietly before a small thought came into her mind. “You don’t take off your helmet much, do you?”
SillyString
SillyString
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 pm

Now well on their way it had seemed the freelancer may of gotten the wrong signal all along, or rather the opposite end of what he thought, yes it seemed he now believed she was older then he was but still not contemplating exactly the situation was at hand believing she was a middle aged lady who just looked really good for her time, being able to pass as a 20 something. Tho that would be quickly shattered by her correcting him that she "Felt" older perhaps to try and convince him of something else, he didn't quite understand himself really.

All along the way Shrike silently listen to her, he had no issue with listening, in fact he was all too comfortable with listening with what ever it is they had to tell him, the range of stories he had heard had been just about every where, some adventurous, some tragic others romantic and a few of desires and dreams all of them had stories to tell. The dim interior lights highlighted him just enough, some of which refracted off of his gear, her own image appeared on his visor, looking right back at her while he listen intently.

"I would say...I am much the same, I leave crime to the police elements of G.U.N, I've...unfortunately had to deal with...things that some times I can not even comprehend....things I wish I never saw...forces beyond this world......if this had been any one else I was talking too....they probably think I had lost it....good to know there is another who is out there as well....I admire your bravery in the face of these threats."

Shrike seemed too of been right in his assumption of words used to describe her and it appeared her family where ever they may be followed in suite, and she did look the part he could not argue with it, While it brought out her image, perhaps it did not work so well against monstrous beings who want to rip one to shreds as evident by the scars of the battle.

"I'll take a look when we get too your place....I'd hate to say it but while Kevlar may help protect you a bit longer....against these...things....its probably more ideal not to get hit in the first place....I was lucky and I believe your reflexes and moves is what kept you alive....but we will see what we can do...I happen to know someone."

Down the road they continued with nothing really but the rumble of the engine passing by the isolated houses that lined this part of the outskirts, Shrike stared out of the window, he had never traveled too this destination before but it sure brought memories back. That was until he heard her ask a question...a question he had never been asked...one that caused his masked head to peer over too her for a moment in complete silence...lowering slightly....a feeling of...sadness swept over him for a moment...trying to figure out what to say

"N-No...I...I suppose I don't.....not when...others are around.....but besides....there is nothing really worth seeing...."

He really was finding it hard to give some kind of explanation but he simply couldn't perhaps he was worried of what may happen if he did he tried to change the subject thinking she may just forget about it.

"How long have you lived here ? Do...Do you live alone ? It seems like such a vast place." 
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next