Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2]

3 posters

Go down

Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2] Empty Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2]

Post by Giblyguy999 Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Name: Vilrym
Nicknames: The Power Thief, the Maw, Rym Sher’kjol
Species: Formerly from a species close to mobian, now unrecognizable

Appearance: Vilrym is an hulking insectoid mass, towering above most mobian with his 7' tall stature and 550 pounds. Although his dna his very close to that of a typical Mobian many alterations to his body seems to have brought many animalistic caracteristics back: a set of four compound eyes, red chitin carapaces with yellow hue covering most of his body, thick antennae sprouting from his head and even beetle horn. Despite all of those traits he still retains humanoid proportions and posture and can even talk. His hands only have four digits while his legs bend backward at the knee joint, which there are two of. The flesh seldom seen through the joint and gap of the armor is of a deep bronze coloration, reflecting the light.

The antennae have also been observed to be segmented in many places, allowing him to move varying length at will in all direction.

References: Atrwork by Esteban Moreno ( Look him up on ArtStation
 )
Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2] Captur10

Personality traits

- Pre meal conversation
- Underground dwelling

Dislikes:
- Too intense lights
- Any form of worship
- Any form of restraint

Personality:

Through self-modification he became an effective predator in both body and mind. Most of the time he doesn’t feel empathy for his victims as he sees them as mere food to fuel his evolution. Although he experiences some moments of clarity where his, admittedly, ancient personality resurfaces. Such instances would not stop his hunt but make him less likely to target children or elderly. More humane emotion also appear and his usual coldness tends to be replaced by some kind of paranoic behaviour. Those instances are mostly random, though it's likely impossible to establish any common denominator.

But as a predator Vilrym is an opportunist. Depending of the prey he covets he could stalk and ambush them or downright engage in combat, but only if the time feels right. Due to his constitution he is also practically devoid of fear and will take a liking to any individual in possession of a power he may find interesting. Finally, he is driven to acquire more power and knowledge by any means necessary.
Usually doted with a calm demeanor, his coldness makes him even more alien to everyone he encounters. His primal side may be driven by hunger but the stolen intelligence collected over the years make him a cunning and resourceful being. As long as he is in control of the situation, he’ll take his time and will even hold a conversation. But may the table turn he will either fight using underhanded tricks or try to avoid further confrontation until ready once again.  

Combat traits

Powers:

By default Vilrym is highly resistant and resiliant to damage as well as possessing quite a lot of brute force. But the one ability truly owned by Vilrym is that of “stealing” power from others. Through consumption of an individual with a certain power, not only would he gain his memory, but access to a fraction of said power after a time of adaptation.
Having assimilated the previous user he is able to determine how the power works but, as stated previously, only a small percentage of the stolen ability scale and might is conserved. The main workaround about this glaring flaw dictate the whole strategy of the Power Thief: stolen powers can be reinforced by consuming other of the same type and gradually building up strength. For example, consuming dozens of Psychics will progressively strengthen any mind power Vilrym may have.

However it seems that magic is impossible for Vilrym to learn due to its supernatural nature. It also doesn't work on any ability that the prey may have learned from someone or something. To be acquired a power must have either always been a part of the prey or, at the very least, manifested naturally at one point before consumption.

Although Mobius isn't the first planet being visited by the beast it seems that there are no traces of the civilization wiping strength required to achieve his previous conquest. Rather than building up exponentially greater destructives capabilities he seems to just rewind into a “base” state at his arrival to then resume the consuming of the population.  

The last aspect of his main ability is to analyze objects through taste. He can’t obviously steal the properties of a material or compound he ingest but, as he absorb memories from someone, he gains a better understanding of it . From metal to rock and even poison (in very faint quantity), he can comprehend their properties and effect in their fullest.

Strengths:
- Versatile and very experienced due to his many meal
- Won’t relent from using manipulation to get an edge if need be
- High pain and damage tolerance

- Immune(?) to fear

Weaknesses:
- Easy to blind because of his compound eyes that are highly sensible to light.
- His relentlessness to get what he want can be used to trap him.
- His antennae and face are the most vulnerable part of his body.

- Moments of clarity makes him more prone to mistakes and emotion swings, as his instincts dulls. 

Social information

Positive relations
-
-

Negative relations

- Everyone, really. Who would want to be eaten ?

History

The vacuum of space isn’t devoid of life, it is a well-known fact. Life can be found in countless planet often separated by unimaginable distance. But sometimes you happen upon a desert, a rock without life or trace of civilization. Maybe due to their hostile temperature or atmosphere, or lack thereof. But there also is fallen world. Traces of intelligence life who left monuments behind them. More than one planet met this fate even at the peak of their strength.

Although the reason of their fall shall forever be unknown, part of their history is retrievable with enough effort. Archeological team from young space faring species, seeking enlightenment from fallen brethren of old. Records of legends or simple everyday stories were either carved on stones or contained in electronic devices depending of their technological level at the time. Studying the death of a species is often a gloomy prospect by itself, as much a fascination one. Now imagine discovering a pattern.

A recurring one.

A name, a shape, even a description. Things strangely resembling others despite the space separating them. A great silhouette devouring peasant, even the skies above in some scripture. Holographic display of a cocoon like structure and partly corrupted records of something underground dwelling organism. Through cross examination links appeared: a great threat coming from below, devouring people more and more boldly. Eventually running out of prey. It was impossible to tell which one was the first instances of the appearance of the beast, only which was the oldest. On some records the beginning of the end was announced by a “falling star”, a meteor, or a falling satellite. None of those early suppositions were true however. Through those account a modus operanti became apparent. The thing arrives from space, in a cocoon, stay underground for a while and start devouring natives. Gaining strength, it would become more and more present until it was satisfied. What did it meant was unknown, after that it just left. If he was the direct cause of the fall of the planet or merely a killing blow to a dying beast was not sure. Records tend to become scarce in front of the apocalypse, understandably.

Nothing could explain how it left. Stealing a ship ? Flinging its cocoon to space through unknown mean ? Maybe a combination of both. Many went in a journey to find the elusive monster and capture it either alive or dead, mostly for study purposes but also for glory. Since then nothing. Just the remnant of his past meal.
Little was known that it was already arrived to his next one. Above a forest at the very frontier of the Acorn kingdom and Mercia. No one saw where it landed, no one was there to witness it. By the day after that the seed was planted with no way to remove it. A week passed by until finally a movement shook the underground. The rupture of a membrane, a twisted parody of the miracle of life.

A rebirth…

The trembling soon stops. No longer is the newly arrived organism animated through basic reflexes, he is now filled with a purpose. The engine of his mind command the movement of his carnal manifestation. The roaring furnaces of his metabolism drives him to consume his cocoon first to fuel their heat and oil the inner gears. A banal sustenance but a sufficient one for now. His memories of past success rises back to remind him of the way he must take.
He shall conquer yet another one. Another step to win the war.

Last edited by Giblyguy999 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 am; edited 6 times in total
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2] Empty Re: Vilrym, the Power Thief [V2]

Post by Electrisa Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 pm

While your OC is interesting from a plot-writing point, and would definitely fit a villain role in some big story arc, in an RP setting I'm afraid you might need to reconsider some parts of him. If this OC is meant to interact with others, you have to take into account our character creation rules, such as this one:

2. Don't make your character OP. This means: Stick to one form (unless you have a good excuse to have multiple), don't have them have too many powers and balance their powers and strengths out by weaknesses.

Your OC can *literally* gain more powers by eating people, and already has a considerate amount of them. I don't think we can let him be used in RPs as is.

And additionally, if you're using someone else's artwork, at least credit the original artist. It's important to give them recognition.
Electrisa
Electrisa
Master Member
Master Member

http://electrisa.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:23 am

Greetings, random newbie here, while I agree with Electrisa on her points, don't let this discourage you from using this character, you just need to make them comply with the rules.

Characters shouldn't just be OP out the gate, they need to EARN that power, (And even then, don't make them unstoppable.)

If I had to suggest anything, remove the powers that he gained from the list and make a weakness for gaining any new powers. (Such as, he can never use them better than their original wielder or he can only use the power so many times.)

Forgive me for being rude at all, and I apologize in advance for any false info/advice I may have given. Sayonara!
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:34 am

Hey there ! 

Sorry for my recent absence, i had things to do and not much time to actually work on this.

I recognized that he was definitely too OP and I begun thinking of ways to improve it. I'm adding a [WIP] mention in the title to clear it up.

I'm grateful for your feedback and wish you a good day/afternoon/night Very Happy

EDIT: I have worked a replacement for his ability to make him way less op without removing his shtick. As a side note i'd like to propose something to temper him a bit more: To only add powers with the permision of a moderator and to integrate it in RP. 
This way it'd prevent too steep raises of power level. If you feel it's still too much don't hesitate to tell me what's bothering you and I'll work on it !
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:43 am

Whoa! the power section isn't like, 7 paragraphs anymore!

Jokes aside, this looks a lot more tolerable, and due to the nature of people making OC's, the fact that the power gets better if he consumes more users of that power, works.

But of course, 'tis not my place to give thee thy verdict, and that duty ultimately goes to the Admins, good luck my friend!
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Electrisa Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:32 pm

I'm glad you listened to our points, and thanks KoG for help as well!
I think this is an improvement. It's always hard to tell if something is too much or too little from a bio alone - it's more subjective and requires RPs to test the limits. But as is, the idea of him starting as more of a blank slate is good. If you'd like staff feedback as you progress you can feel free to PM me anytime! Although you seem a sensible person (if only just cause you accepted the feedback - trust me, not everyone does that) so perhaps if you just stay aware of others in RPs to not cross any limits, you'll be ok. I realise this character is meant to be a threat, so obviously he'll have his powers amped up eventually, but I'm glad you were ok with editing him to this state for now. Thanks again!
We'll be tackling any new problems if and when they arise, but for now I think you're good to go with them 8D
Electrisa
Electrisa
Master Member
Master Member

http://electrisa.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down