Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Robots!

2 posters

Go down

Super Robots! Empty Super Robots!

Post by DeuxExDimensia Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:27 am

!!!PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD SPOILER FREE!!!
IF YOU'RE GOING TO POST SPOILERS, PUT IT UNDER A SPOILER- THERE'S A REASON THE FEATURE IS THERE!

So, super robot anime!

The genre, to be specific... The most recognizable name in this genre, I'd say, is Gundam. 
Have you guys watched any super robot anime? If so, which are your favorites? Were there ones you didn't quite like? 

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are two other notable names in the genre as well. 

Personally I've watched a few Gundam series as a kid that I don't quite remember. I've also seen the entirety of Gurren Lagann with a friend, and we're currently working on watching Star Driver (Of which we're on episode 19) and the new Gundam series, Iron Blooded Orphans (We fell quite a bit behind and I think we're only on like episode 3). 

Star Driver is pretty good so far. I find the main character to be really endearing, and he's pretty much whats keeping me watching so far. It has a very interesting premise, but I do have a few issues with it so far. One of them is sort of glaring, but I feel like it's also potentially a spoiler. 

Iron Blooded Orphans is depressing to me, I don't think I could binge watch it. The premise is upsetting at it's core, though that was probably intentional. Barbatos looks really cool though, and I like that it's main weapon is a mace as opposed to the usual swords that are given to main character mobile suits. 

Also, you guys should totally post pictures of your favorite super robot design because a lot of them look awesome.
DeuxExDimensia
DeuxExDimensia
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Super Robots! Empty Re: Super Robots!

Post by Dregan Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:22 pm

I'll be honest, the super/giant robot genre is one I've always struggled with. Like... I WANT to like the giant robot fighting genre, of course I want to like it, it's giant robots punching the ever-loving-PG13 out of each other, that's rad as all hell. But... I dunno, I tend to struggle to find them all feeling very samey and merging together in my mind when I watch them.

Like... I genuinely can't tell the difference - and I don't mean that in a mocking way, I mean it in an entirely honest one. I think every giant-robot media I've seen has generally consisted of someone not wanting to get in a giant robot, eventually getting in the giant robot, aaand then fighting another giant robot which will usually have quite a similar array of ineffective ranged weapons, probably some shoulder missiles, and wind up being broken when they physically clash. Also, at least one giant robot will have a giant sword.

Once again, I don't think it's a bad genre, I see it's appeal and all. But I don't think I've ever came across one which didn't feel almost content to just go... 'Okay, so we're a giant robot anime, we don't really need to put that much more into this. We have the giant robots - we're sorted.' I just... really want something in there to stand out to me and feel particularly different.

And yes I am aware of Gurren Lagann, because I suspect someone will be jumping that one on me. I appreciate the series for what it's done/tried to do, and for being different in the ways that it is, III just don't particularly like it. (Sorry.)
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeuxExDimensia Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Dregan wrote:Like... I genuinely can't tell the difference - and I don't mean that in a mocking way, I mean it in an entirely honest one. I think every giant-robot media I've seen has generally consisted of someone not wanting to get in a giant robot, eventually getting in the giant robot, aaand then fighting another giant robot which will usually have quite a similar array of ineffective ranged weapons, probably some shoulder missiles, and wind up being broken when they physically clash. Also, at least one giant robot will have a giant sword.

The first half of that sentence described NGE, I think?? I've never actually watched NGE, but I do know that a lot of the beginning is a certain whiny protagonist not wanting to get into the giant robot. I have legitimately never seen another super robot anime that did that ever. 

I think that Iron Blooded Orphans does change up the formula a little bit... though, yes, 9 times out of 10 one giant robot will have a giant sword. That's a Gundam staple. 

If you're still looking to get into it, I'd like to recommend Iron Blooded Orphans though I haven't particularly watched much of that yet. What I have watched, though, was really good and I'm finding it very enjoyable so far. My friend and I just need to catch up on episodes.
DeuxExDimensia
DeuxExDimensia
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down