Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough

2 posters

Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough

Post by Aurora Lightsune Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Hey all.  Light here.

Recently, I remembered that I've found many things I really like in my travels across the internet.  A lot of these things, I've recommended to people over the years.  I realized, though, that the viewing audience I recommended it to was pretty small.  So I'll be talking about and recommending some of this random stuff over the months to come!

...I am talking about multimedia here, it could be basically anything you can find on the internet.  I tend to stay away from NSFW, but if it comes up on some rare occasion I'll flag it in red bold.

I'll also briefly talk about each entry and give it some context, though if it has any plot I'm not giving out spoilers.  Don't expect any regularity, either.  I do other things for a living and diamonds don't crop up in the rough all that often.

That having been said, I'll put out a first recommendation in the next day or two.
Aurora Lightsune
Aurora Lightsune
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Sonic World Adventures and 1/0.

Post by Aurora Lightsune Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 am

Sonic World Adventures - Sprite Comic.

Here's the rundown.  An amateur sprite comic author decided to start in the field, made a couple good jokes as well as some honestly bad ones, but managed to keep the comic going and getting better by: vaguely tying the plot to Sonic reliving the past to prevent the universe from collapsing, bringing in a friend to co-author, and crossing over at least once.  The fourth wall is a mockery here, you have been warned.  You have also been warned that the comic is on hiatus at Issue 875 as of two weeks ago, and I know about better comics that will appear in future posts.  Get to adventuring!

The comic's homepage on Smackjeeves, a popular webcomic host.

One Over Zero (1/0) - Webcomic.

Now, I know that sprite comics aren't for everyone, so I decided to include something a bit more mature-looking.  One Over Zero details the journey of an artist and creator as well as the journeys of his creations.  There's usually no fourth wall, but I'll let you read for yourself.  Caveat, it isn't for everyone either, as the comic is existentialist at times, but it flows well and you're likely to want to read on no matter what arc you're reading.  This comic provides something that most webcomics (in my experience) don't - a satisfying and complete resolution.  You have one thousand strips in front of you; no more, no less.  Begin when ready, and don't worry about the apparent paradox.  As the page says,
"1/0 is illogical. 1/0 is irrational. 1/0 is impossible. 1/0 is transcendentally unfair. 

1/0 is true.  Deal with it."

The archives are on their own webpage.  They exist.

Last edited by Quiet Light on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos and minor edits.)
Aurora Lightsune
Aurora Lightsune
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Re: Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough

Post by UnbreakableBond Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:38 pm

These are a nice start, can't wait for more bro! :3
UnbreakableBond
UnbreakableBond
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Robotnik's Tea Party.

Post by Aurora Lightsune Thu May 01, 2014 2:39 am

Robotnik's Tea Party - Video

Perhaps some of you know about YTP (Youtube videos made by messing up something normal in various ways for comedic effect) and perhaps some even know about YTPMV (similar, but more for an effect set to background music).  I found this YTPMV especially catchy and fun.  If any others I run into strike me as much as this one, I might put them up.  Anyway...there's not a whole lot by way of synopsis.  The clips used in this one are taken from the AOSTH episode The Last Resort and talk about Robotnik offering some tea and something to eat.  Just watch it if none of this made sense; it'll take less than four minutes of your time (replays not included).  Even if it seems unappealing at first, stick with it - it'll grow on you.  How thoughtful of me to offer you tea this video.

Kudos to YT user oiramapap.  And by the way, click any of the related videos with 'YTPMV' in the title for this user or thechairman45 - I endorse them too.*
*I do not, however, necessarily endorse YTP in general or any non-music-videos by these users.

Last edited by Quiet Light on Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (Broken size tags.))
Aurora Lightsune
Aurora Lightsune
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Clockwords: Prelude.

Post by Aurora Lightsune Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Clockwords: Prelude - Game.

I'm a gamer and a hobby bibliophile, so it was inevitable that 1) I'd recommend a game, and 2) I'd recommend something to do with words.  This game masterfully demonstrates both.  Unfortunately, it's no longer hosted on its sponsor site ( www.dictionary.com ), but I'm familiar with a Flash gaming site which still has it available.  There are a couple of downsides (be prepared for a grind, and be aware that the built-in dictionary has limitations), but overall it's fairly fun - blast through waves of steampunk spiders with your word-powered repeater turret, picking up specialized letters along the way to deal more damage to the growing hordes of mechanical arachnids that want your top secret files.

Oh, and it can help with being able to think of words quickly, since 'puzzle' is technically a genre element here alongside the 'action'.  Highly recommended, regardless of whether or not English is your first language.

The game is hosted here on Kongregate.  If you want to sign up there for badges and such, or if you're already a member there, let me know and I'll forward a friend request.
Aurora Lightsune
Aurora Lightsune
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Positive Force.

Post by Aurora Lightsune Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Positive Force - Music composition.

There's music out there for just about everyone; but the single piece that's for everyone is quite the gem.  Spinning the calendar back a bit, revisit the chiptune era of the C64 with this upbeat piece.  Positive Force, one of the tracks of PPPPPP (the OST for VVVVVV, a minimalist platformer*), encourages the player's adventure through twisted space.  It, and the rest of PPPPPP, is intentionally reminiscent of days gone by in a cheerful way.  Don't just take my word for it (or the countless others who like this most out of PPPPPP) - go ahead and listen for yourself.

Here's the link on the composer's YT page.  He has the rest of the soundtrack available there too; and if you like the album enough to contribute, he has it available for purchase through a description link.

*I recommend VVVVVV too, but that's another matter.
Aurora Lightsune
Aurora Lightsune
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough Empty Re: Shining Light on the Diamonds in the Rough

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down