Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monkeyshines

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Monkeyshines Empty Monkeyshines

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:59 am

Hello, My name is Mystic Monkey. Thats both my internet name and my Sonic OC.

I'm new and haven't really Sonic RPd in a long time. (If you can guess my age I can say A LONG time. Actually don't guess my age, I'm probably elderly by internet years.)
But truth be told I'm somewhat reclusive and dunno if I'll be around much or long. Not that I don't like it here or anything, I'm just not as sociable as I once was and it was a bit of a self-push for me to sign up.

I'm more into roleplays set in the established continuity of the video games, especially RPs that take into account established lore from the video games. I don't mind if RPGs take creative privileges as long as it doesn't go too off from continuity.

I noticed that the RPs around here are mostly story driven, which makes me wonder how people feel about tabletop roleplaying? I've only got into TTRPGing a few years back and find it an interesting way to roleplay.
I myself made a fanmade Sonic TTRPG. It's still WIP but the gameplay is an adaption from the old fantail gamebooks and can be played with a six-sided die. I would really like to share it and have it playtested but I won't post a link unless it's OK. I don't want it to seem like advertising my TTRPG, just would like it seen and playtested.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Monkeyshines Empty Re: Monkeyshines

Post by Wolf478 Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:27 am

Hiya Mystic!

I'm Wolf478, I've only been here for a year, but I still feel like a bit of a newbie myself. There's no need to worry about age, I think we've got Rpers here who are *well* aged, and some who are quite young, so I like to think that we're pretty inclusive here.

Also, don't be afraid to ask anyone to RP, you can even ask them to RP in DMs, My first RP here was, and it started me off on a really good note, and allowed my to get into the Forum quickly.

As for the Lore, I'm fairly certain that the Forum 'Canon' is mostly based off of the Video Games, with a touch or two from the comics, but It's not entirely clear to me, I just account for the Game Lore and I'm not doing too bad. So You should be able to do very well here.

And in terms of Tabletops, I love me a good bit of 3.5e, and It's funny that you mention making a Sonic TTRPG, because I did something like that a little while ago. I didn't finish developing it, but it's sitting there amongst the various DnD files on my desktop.

Anyway, Welcome to the Sonic Roleplay Nation, as far as I've seen the community here is really friendly and will mostly be quite happy to help out! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbJFpfGfur74HDRCDFl7bqg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 am

Hello Wolf!

I do like to roleplay in videogame canon, but I'm alright with the idea of RPing with Archieverse RP, I made an alternate version of Mystic Monkey for such things.

I've been working on my TTRPG the last few days. I like the idea of it becoming "legit" and widely used someday.

My inspiration, as well as adaption for it was the fantail gamebooks I collect and like the gameplay in the gamebooks, all my TTRPG requires for players is a six-sided die, a pencil and eraser. Either print out the character sheet I made or simply copied it.

I would post a link to it, but I dunno if that is considered advertising or not.

While I've readapted the gameplay from the gamebooks, I included concepts from both usual TTRPG as well as Dreamcast to Modern Sonic games, but it still easy to understand and follow.
Thing is though it's somewhat impractical for archieverse TTRPing, but I may make another edition for it.

I'm hoping if it's acceptable, I would like to see if I can GM a game in my TTRPG format. But only if mods and admins are alright with it.

Heck maybe if it catches on, a new forum board for TTRPGing.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:56 am

I wouldn't exactly say that It's Archieverse RP, I think it's mostly just certain characters and locations are just used occasionally within the RPs, Like I said, I'm fairly certain that the World the SRN takes place on is based on the Game World.

You've got quite a bit of Ambition there my dude, I think it'll serve you well in the long-run, but I don't think that the staff'll be in any hurry to make changes to the Forum Structure any time soon.

For Now, I'd be interested at having at least a look at the your TTRPG, but I'm more accustomed to classic D20 style. I'm pretty sure that a simple Link, like just a Hyperlink or something should be fine, But I think that you need to have made like 50 posts or something before you can advertise.

I'm not sure what the actual number is, or even if there is a rule in relation to that, and even then I don't even know if it'd be advertising in the first place, but I'd give it a try.

And hey, I'd always be up to do an RP if you want to.
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 am

Can RPers here set up their personal continuities and such if they want to roleplay closer to one or the other?
I don't mind getting my feet wet but rather not drown on a long-going well established RP here.

I'm just saying if it works out well and if they're interested in the idea. After all I'm not yet accustomed to how things have been going for years here.

It won't let me. "New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."

It plays like the fantail gamebooks, but readapted to include modern elements from Sonic Adventure 2 (ranking system) and Sonic Heroes (class system)
I know most TTRPGers use variety of dice, but I think d6 die are the most common kind of dice out there. For example a child could print out my google.doc and grab dice from Snakes & Ladders, Monopoly or whatever boardgame they have lying about.

I had children in mind when I written it out, though concerned they may find the attribute ranking system I made might be difficult to comprehend.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 am

Well, as I'm sure you're well aware, there are four types of roleplays here on the SRN: 

Open RP: These are RPs that anyone can join (So long as they ask, and everyone is ok with it) but it must take place on the SRN world and go along with the SRN 'Canon'

Closed RP: This is for 1x1 Rps or RPs that you don't want anyone to join besides who you've asked, or who has already asked prior to it's beginning. 

Non-Cannon: These RPs are free to be used by anyone with no limits to possibilities (So long as it stays PG13 and doesn't do crossovers with other series [MLP, Warhammer etc])

PM Roleplay: This is a Roleplay where you simply Roleplay in Private messages, it can be Non-cannon, Cannon or whatever, so long as the other participant/s agree to it.

Ah, right. Yes, Now I remember. It's been a very long time since I've seen that message pop up.

Ah, right I can see what you mean. And while I commend you for having that in mind (It woulda been nice I've I didn't have to by variety dice when I wanted to TTRPG, but I've got them now) But in general, there aren't any young children here who aren't willing to buy a set of dice/or already have a set, to test out your Idea.
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:32 am

This "SRN canon", do I have a lot of lore and past stories to catch up on?
Though I might hang out on the Non-canon and use hastags to establish what kind of story I want.

My TTRPG in mind is for age 10+ or so the minimum. I tried to make it easy and simple for young players to understand but that doesn't mean it's just for kids. "Ease of access" is what I had in mind writing it.

"Hey can I play?"
"Sure, just name your character, rank your attributes and choose your skills and you're ready."

No need for learning rulebooks, handbooks, guidebooks or all that homework just to sit down and play with friends.

Only issue with my TTRPG is that it's made for Sega Sonic. I may have to make a seperate edition for Archie and Fleetway Sonic RPing with it. (One that replace rings for a traditional HP.)
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:54 am

Nah, I wouldn't say that there are any Long stories you need to keep up on, just keep in mind that anything you do in the Open RPs, and/not including Closed RPs is then treated as canon, unless a mod or something says 'Hey, that's a bit out of place'

Alright, I can see the Apeal of that, nice and Simple. My System is more hinged off of the 3.5e Pathfinder System, but it kind of serves as its own TTRPG, and there are a few more rules to it than simply 'Character, Stats, Skills: Play'

Personally I like the rules and handbooks, it creates this=that and therefore etc. Which I find gives it a better sense of depth and immersion.

I don't  see any problem with just using the same system as Sega Sonic for Archie, and I'm not entirely familiar with Fleetway Sonic, but I'd imagine that a small change should be fine enough.
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:59 am

Well in the games, Sonic collects plenty of rings and protect your from damage. In Archie comics and SatAM they're uncommon and grant a power boost, I just think it follows entirely different premise that TTRPG wise would function entirely different. But I want to know what others think of my first edition before I make anymore.
It's rather late for me, I'll come back when I can. Sleep
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:00 am

Ah, right. Yes. Now I understand what you mean.

Also, yeah, have a good one mate. Talk to you in the mornin'
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm back. 

Other than you Wolf, do others frequant these forums? I was hoping to make a non-canon thread for a group to playtest my TTRPG ruleset... once my first week has passed.
My gameplay seems sound, but I dunno how smooth it will play, if needs tweaks, stuff like that. No IRL friends to test it with.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Howdy there welcome to the site.

Greetings from Shrike
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello Shrike!

Do you like TTRPGs too?
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Table top Role playing games ?
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Yeah.

Recently I made a TTRPG for Sonic fans. Somethign that can be played on forums, or printed out or copied and be played at home.

All you need is a d6 die, lined paper, pencil and eraser and a GM.

Though looking around the other RPs here, seems to be more co-op story driven.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 pm

The only TTRPG I played was battletech and that was pretty fun.
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm not familiar with that one but googling it does look good.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrike Marine Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

Its basically in the far future humanity is battling across the galaxy as noble houses and powerful military's fight and at the center of it are the mechs, large 2 legged war machines
Shrike Marine
Shrike Marine
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 pm

Sounds a bit like Warhammer 40K. Though don't recall much mechs in them.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 am

Yeah, there are others who Frequent this place, quite often actually. And they're usually very friendly, I see you've already met Shrike, he visits the forum often, and is friendly too.

(Personally I prefer Warhammer AoS, but I'm fairly certain the 40k rules are basicaly the same)
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 am

I'll introduce my Sonic OC soon, I would make a full bio but I do not know how to put to words his personality and such. I think now is a good time to decide things about him before I make a new Character Bio thread on him.

Basically he's like me in personality but half my actual age.
He comes from Grand Kingdom, the "Sonic's Earth equivilent" of Britain.

However his "Archie counterpart" has an entirely different backstory.

His weapon is a sword (a lot like the clarent from S&tBK) the reason why he has a sword is because he doesn't have "quills" or "spines" as hedgehogs and echidnas have. So he doesn't have any form of offense when it comes to spin attacks or fighting robots.
For a long time I've been thinking about abandoning the sword because while I do like swords I always thought it seemed somewhat out-of-place or cliché on a character like Mystic. But since wispons have been introduced I've been thinking of making up a "blade wispon" thats more practical for him to carry.
Either that or he simply uses his tail to "whip" while spinning.

He is a "Speed Type" character but he does not possess super speed, just athletic speed. Other than that he also does parkour because monkeys do that naturally.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 am

Well, Age doesn't Really play that much of a part here on the forum, we mostly care about character attitude, reactions etc. Again, it's just Roleplaying.

And you don't need to worry about using a sword, or any weapon really. Shrike's character is a Human who uses Guns, C.S.O's character Wolfgang uses Dual Blades. And some of my characters use knifes and rifles, not having any powers at all.

And a lot of characters don't have Super Duper powers, like supersonic speed. Electrissa's character has power of the weather, but Doing some seriously powerful stuff like Cyclone's would be Really hard for her character, simply because that's a lot of energy/magic that needs to be exerted and also because that makes the Rp fair.

Your character can basically do anything, so long as it's powers are kept fair and there's equal recoil, exertion, or concentration required in order to perform it.
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

That works out good for Mystic. His natural powers are being fast, sword skills equivilent to a knight and parkour. Not as glamorous as GUN training or Storm powers but I can imagine him running through zones just as capable as others.

He's like a nowhere man. Often sits in the middle of nowhere, making plans for nobody, but likes the freedom of travel.
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf478 Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 am

Yeah, that's basically the idea of the SRN, is for it to work out nicely with everyone's character ideas and powers.

And yeah, from what I know, Shrike's character is a bit of a freelancer, in fact, I don't know anyone who is specifically tied down by any commitments. You can basically do anything, so long as it abides by the site rules.
Wolf478
Wolf478
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Monkey Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 am

It maybe awhile before I'm ready to start RPing. But I will when I'm ready. It's rather late for me to start playing. Sleep
Mystic Monkey
Mystic Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum