Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Research! A test of powers in alternating environments!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Research! A test of powers in alternating environments! Empty Research! A test of powers in alternating environments!

Post by Spekkal Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 pm

The Training Dome had fantastic technology. An extremely useful room that was capable of changing the environment, akin to virtual reality. Location, weather, temperature, gravity. It was versatile, and this scientist was keen to put it to the test.
As well as two volunteers.

People liked fighting, they liked throwing punches and breathing fire at a target. It was a good way to release stress and aggression. Boa? This small, dark blue creature? He hated it. He was a pacifist entirely, and disliked the idea of throwing a single punch. He just couldn't do it, he couldn't spar himself. As such, is was pretty difficult to test his limitations when he didn't want to push them on another to begin with. But this guild? Full of people who were excited to beat each other up!

Boa had set up a small notice to the side of the quest board. Just a scrap of paper, pinned to the very edge of the corkboard. He didn't want to take up space for real notices, people who needed genuine help. It was a simple request though.
"Interested in partaking in research? Come to the Training Dome tonight! I need two participants! It will just be a sparring match with alternating environments! I want to safely test out the limits of the guild's technology! People with powers only.
If you wish to observe, feel free! Snacks on the 2nd floor of the dome - it's on me!
-Boa"

And if you were to arrive at the training dome, you'd see a small figure. Smaller than average, he's only reaches up to an average person's shoulder. Dark blue skin, not fur, bar the large tuft of fluff on his chest. Most noticeably, the creature has two distinct features. The first being that he has three fingers instead of five, and those 'fingers' are in fact claws. And the final feature is that he has two pupils in each eye instead of one. In some respects, he has four eyes. His clothing is bright - a white hat, and a white jacket. In his hand and around his neck is his ID badge for the guild, that he'd be swinging around while waiting.
To the side, where the main machine of the room was placed on the first floor, was a chair, a large briefcase, and a clipboard resting upon it.

For now, all he could do was wait...

Last edited by Spekkal on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Research! A test of powers in alternating environments! Empty Re: Research! A test of powers in alternating environments!

Post by The Red Blur Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm

While a certain hedgehog wasn't exactly good at throwing punches per sé, he was still one that was here to test his limits in combat. He wanted to get stronger, and just doing the occasional quest would not help that much.

That was Caen's thought process as he spied a scrap of paper attached to the corner of the cork noticeboard. "Alternating environments..." He muttered to himself as he rubbing his chin gently. "I'm so used to cold to mild climates, I would be in terrible danger if I were to fight in the sea, or in a warmer climate..."

He nodded, his eyes scanning the note once more, taking in the details of where he would meet this 'Boa'. "That settles it. I'm going to see just how well I will do in different situations," he said, turning to leave the guild hall, and prepare for that night

Soon, day turned to night, and the hedgehog was back in the guild hall, his spines feeling a little fresher after showering. He was dressed in his usual combat attire, consisting of his blue coat, black gloves, and brown boots, as well as having his weapons strapped to his sides.

Taking the elevator up to the second floor, Caen entered the room, taking a look around. There was the refreshments, as promised, but there was also a single figure there. He walked slowly, before making himself known "um, hello! I presume you're Boa?" He asked, smiling pleasantly.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Research! A test of powers in alternating environments! Empty Re: Research! A test of powers in alternating environments!

Post by Spekkal Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Ah! A volunteer! Boa smiled widely, a skip in his step as he approached Caen! A red hedgehog, huh? He'd seen them walking around the guild once or twice. But he didn't know anything about him. Thankfully, that was about to change. "That I am!" he replied cheerfully. Boa's voice was... strange. He certainly spoke the same language, his words were clear as day, but his slight accent was exotic. Perhaps from another country? "I'm uh, I'm not gonna be involved in this. Fighting you, I mean. I dunno if that was clear I uh- I don't fight. I'm not-... aheh..." he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "A-anyway. Thanks for doing this for me...! I'm hoping this'll be great fun! I'll do a proper brief once the second volunteer gets here. No point in repeating myself twice!"

Adjusting his coat, Boa gave a bashful smile at Caen, "Oh, sorry! I'm really rude, I should know better! What's your name? I uh... think I've seen you about here...? Just... not spoken. So uh, yeah! And what can you do? ...You. You have powers, right? You should, it was... on the description."

Last edited by Spekkal on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 am

Caen smiled as Boa appeared to have been overjoyed to have at least one participant. His eyes scanned across his blue skin, noting that he only had three fingers on each of his hands, bringing up questions as to what species he was.

Before he could ask, Boa began to stutter over his words as he specified that he would not be the one doing the fighting. Caen held up his hands,  and smiled "don't worry, I assumed the one who posted the message was merely doing research!" He said, before raising his eyebrow at Boa's question.

He bowed slightly, before replying "I'm Caen. Caen Flare. Nice to meet you, Boa."
Caen held up on of his hands, before summoning a flame in it. "I use pyrokinesis, mainly. I hope that's a power that can be put to use!"

((Right, I'd better let someone else join!))

Last edited by The Red Blur on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 am

After taking the last sip of his cafe mocha, the masked vigilante, Volt, decided to take a little stroll around the Main Hall, just to buy some time until a mission that interested him popped up. He got up from his recliner and paced for a while, scarfing down the last few bites of his croissant. There was nothing really special in the large room besides the cafe—that is, aside from the glowing plasma screen listing a few open missions. That, and a modest little cork-board with a few sheets scrambled about it.

Eventually, he approached this cork-board and gave it a quick scan, just out of curiosity. As he ran his eyes across the randomly-placed posters, one humble sheet of paper at the board's edge made him do a double take: he wasn't much of a voluntary reader, but there were two, unmistakable words that always struck his eye no matter how tiny the print—

"Free. Snacks."

Volt took a step closer the poster to get a better look at it. While glossing over its words, he mumbled them out loud to himself: "fdhkfsdjkdsdseuwruieoafgdhkasgfasjSparring matchreqwyuiytwehgsfhdfgfdsqofsadkjhPowers onlywprewocsfjdskfjlhsdfgstregfsdgfdfdsaSnacks on the second floor. Haha! Count me in bruddah!"

He quickly pivoted and walked into the Hall's elevator. As he took it up to the second floor, he leaned against its back wall, securing the rifle on his back and buttoning up his cloak to conceal his body and his pistols*. After a while of lightly nodding and humming to the catchy elevator music, the *ding* of the double doors prompted him to get up and walk out.

Volt gave a sweeping glance around the room as he walked in—mainly to see where the snacks were—before he looked forward, noticing a red hedgehog and a....funny looking, other person. He stopped at a distance away from them, staring at them in—yet another—awkward silence. "Uh...yo?" he said to them both. "I'm here for the free foo—I mean uh...the...sparring...match...thing...Also the free food." 

He paused for a second, then continued: “Oh, yea, right, 'powers only'.” He lifted up his right hand, a crackling band of electricity forming around his wrist. The electricity began converging towards his fingertips, collecting en masse in his palm; within a split second, a short, glowing blade of lightning materialized. He grabbed this blade, spun across his knuckles, then grasped it at its ‘hilt’. ”That good enough for ya?”
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm

"Yeah!" the strange creature replied eagerly, "I'm writing a thesis for my upcoming book, you see. And while I have my theories, I don't exactly have sources or evidence to back it up. I uh, hope you don't mind me observing you two. I'll be out of the way! You won't even notice me sitting there!" With Caen's motion of his hand, Boa gave a confident grin and tipped his hat in appreciation, "Ooh, fantastic! An incredibly versatile power, really under-looked. I'm excited to see what inventive things you can do with your fire capabilities, Caen!"

But before he could say much more, another had walked into the room. His attention from the red hedgehog diverted, and he instead looked the cockatiel up and down. The brash admittance of just wanting free food made Boa laugh, and he shook his head, "Don't worry, the food is all on me. You guys are, uh, doing all the work here, so I'm definitely paying for a proper meal for you both - i-if you want, that is! I uh- yeah. Kinda owe you two. You're doing me a favour, you know?"

The showcase of Volt's abilities made Boa raise his eyebrows. So, a fire user and an electric user, huh? This could lead to an intriguing combination. The powers themselves were nothing he hadn't seen before. He'd already made the assumption that they were natural-born abilities. But how each of them utilised them, in combination with their personalities and actions, could lead to a wide variety of situations and conflicts.

"It's perfect!" Boa confirmed, suddenly turning on his heels towards the main computer, "If you two would just follow me..." Sitting on the chair that was propped up, Boa rested the clipboard on his lap, and one hand on the large suitcase beside him, "Right! I suppose I should properly introduce myself, right? Well, I'm... uh, I'm Boa! A recognised scientist in arcane theory, I've written several books and papers, and I just want to learn as much as I can about the world! N...not that I'm bragging!" his eyes widened and he raised his other hand, "No, I'm just... giving a basic background! So you know me! H-hah... a-anyway..."
Crossing his legs, the small scientist leaned to the side and allowed his spare hand to rest upon the machine. Digital pixels shimmered in the air at the touch, as if the room was itching to change, "What I'm asking for is a basic sparring match. Just to test your abilities against each other. As you fight, the environment will change. Gravity will change. Temperature will change. It'll be an opportunity to push your powers as far as you can, with the limits set!"
His quick fingers got to work, an in an instant, there was a whoosh, and suddenly....

The three of them were within a city.
There was a pleasant breeze in the air, and a clear sky was up above. They were in the middle of the street, though there wasn't a single person in sight. Still, the buildings that loomed over and cast shadows over them seemed real enough. The cobblestone against the feet, the slight smell of doughnuts from an empty store to the side seemed real. Occasionally, one would see pixels shimmer in the air, reminding the observant people that this wasn't an actual city.
"In addition..." taking the suitcase, he popped it open and revealed a variety of drinks that he showcased to the two, "I have a few alchemical concoctions with me. The one of most note is the P.O.T.I.O.N-" he lifted up a green can with pink patterns. It looked almost like a soda drink, "Passion Of Tears for Injury Or Nullification! This here is a magical drink that can cure all minor wounds! Cuts, bruises, it'll fix 'em right up! Just... don't break each other's bones. Please. I don't want to get into legal trouble here."
Placing it back in, he brought up two other bottles with a wide, playful grin, "These two? I'll keep these a secret for now! They're called Quad and Pisceus respectively, and I think they'll spice up the battle when we get to them! Don't worry, all these are safe and are being sold within a speciality bar! Consider it my treat!"

Locking up the briefcase, Boa looked at each of them, "And I... I guess that's it! I'll need both of you to quickly fill in theeeese- where are they... these forms! Right here!" He flailed about a pen and a piece of paper, and then handed it to both Caen and Volt, "Just a few basic details, and just confirmation that I can use this fight for my research and eventually publish it for my book. I won't be mentioning any names, of course! But, you know. Respecting privacy. Gotta... uh... gotta keep you aware! Hahah!"
He paused. Stared at Volt.
"Oh. Oh I just realised. I'm, uh, I'm AWFUL! I'm so sorry! What's your name? I should have asked but I got too excited, I'm sorry!"
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 am

Caen couldn't help but smile even more as Boa complimented him on his powers. He wouldn't say it's overlooked, obviously, but one could easily argue that the market for pyrokinetics was... Oversaturated, to say the least.

Before Caen could reply, a new figure entered the room. A masked cockatiel. It was certainly an... Interesting appearance, to say the least. Maybe some were taking the whole 'superhero' comparison too far?

Upon realising that this cockatiel controlled electricity, at least, to an extent that he could shape it into a sword, Caen felt a little uncomfortable. Sure, the handles to his blades were wrapped in leather, and Caen's gloves in and of themselves were made of leather, but was that enough to insulate him from electricity, were their blades to clash? In a way, he didn't want to know.

Caen's mind was taken off of this, when Boa had sat down and began to give a little background on his work, even though he was taking extra care to ensure they didn't think he was bragging.

Soon, buildings began to appear out of thin air. Sure, Caen was impressed, but he had already seen it in action through his own experimentation. Still, the technology was fantastical, in a way. One can essentially create any environment within the laws of nature. 

Caen's attention was drawn away from the city when Boa opened the briefcase, pulling out three drinks and explaining their magical properties. "A... Specialty bar...? Would they be selling them here, any time soon? Items like that potion would be indispensable on certain guild missions."

Whether or not Boa replied to this, a firm was shoved into his hands. He reached into his pockets, and, luckily, he was carrying a pen. He leaned against one of the virtual walls as he wrote, still impressed by how real it felt. Soon, it was filled out, and he held it out to hand back to Boa. "So, what sort of environmental changes can we expect?" He asked, cocking his head a little.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 am

“Alright. Cool. Sweet,” Volt replied to the strange-looking Mobian after the welcome reception of his powers. His voice was a little rushed, given that he really wanted to hurry and get to the free food. He released his grip on the lightning blade, letting the concentrated electricity dissipate and drain back towards his wrist—that is, into the bracelet-like device hidden in his sleeve. He then proceeded forward, standing next to the red hedgehog, giving him a good look over. 

Although he wasn’t there for the red hedgehog’s pyrokinetic display, from what he could infer by the sword sheathed on his hip, the enthusiastic gleam in his eyes, his confident stance—this guy looked pretty formidable. Volt stared at him for a little while in silence, then greeted him with a nod. “Hey…sick hair, dude.”

Volt turned back to the strange-looking Mobian—who introduced themselves as Boa—as he delivered the details of the sparring match. After Boa went to his computer, Volt replied: “Seems simple enough, I guess. As long as—” His voice was cut off by a loud *woosh* sound. Volt jumped a little and turned behind him, watching as the scenery of the facility changed. This was something completely new to him, be it this was his first guild venture outside of the Main Hall. “....Whaddaheckdidyouj—” he turned back to Boa, speaking to him in awe “—ok, look, that’s cool, and I’m gonna needja to tell me where to get one. Like, pronto.”

Volt looked around, amazed at this change of scenery. His eyes couldn’t break away from it for a while. Everything felt so real: from the gentle breeze blowing through his cloak; the smell of donuts in the air (which really only made him hungrier); the skyline of tall skyscrapers in the distance; even the asphalt beneath his feet. If it weren’t for the flickering pixels here and there, Volt could almost swear he was somewhere else on the Mobian globe back on patrol duty.

His attention snapped back to Boa when he heard the slam of the briefcase. He only heard bits and pieces of what he said while mesmerized by the new surroundings. “Yea, potions, legal trouble, Quadpieces, gotcha!”

When Boa handed him a clipboard with a release form, Volt calmly took it from his hand. He read over it for a few seconds, then looked back to Boa...Then he looked back to the sheet. Then back to Boa. Then back to the sheet. Then to the red hedgehog, who had already signed his form. “...Ok seriously how’d you get your hair to stay dow—ah screw it.” Volt took Boa’s pen and paper, and began to fill it out:

Name:         Volt       
Species:      Deviant     

...leaving most of the others as “N/A”, similar to how he did on his guild card to conserve his identity. He then gave the clipboard back to Boa, who apologetically asked for his name. “Nah don’t worry about it. You can just call me Volt.”

Volt then turned back to the red hedgehog. "So uh...Red, you wanna like, I dunno, count paces or somethin' so we know where to start? Or..."

Last edited by imbadwithnames on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

"Aheheh, well, this technology is partly why I came to the guild!" the creature replied to a Volt with a smirk. With a raised claw, he motioned to around the area. Stepping forward, he put his hand on some brickwork. It felt... completely solid, as to be expected. He could even feel the grooves and indents in the brick layers. Incredible. "I'd love to have something like this myself, because it's pretty neat, isn't it?"

As for Caen's valid suggestion... "Selling the drinks here?" Boa echoed Caen's enquiry, and he tapped his chin in thought, "I dunno, I haven't asked the boss. Last time the bar collaborated with a guild, it didn't really end all that great. I'll have to ask them about it - I think I can pull their legs a little! Until then, you're free to use what I have on me!" Boa himself wouldn't mind a small Leafy Bar branch in this guild, it would certainly make getting hold of drinks a lot easier. Why, he the drinks he had on him at the moment were all the way from the city of Trinus! If he ran out, he'd have to get a train back over there!

Finally, he addressed the two properly, after taking back the forms and filing them away in the same briefcase. Adjusting his white hat, the dark-skinned being clasped his hands together loudly. "Thanks, you two! This uh, yeah this is all... pretty much done! All the pre-fight stuff, anyway. All the boring paper work, yeah. All the rest is on me." His head turned to Caen. Trying to get spoilers, was he? Boa gave a confident grin; "Ahah! There'll be no fun in that if I tell you! You'll be expecting it! Just, well, just expect to not be in the same place for too long. But uh, utilise your environment when you have it! It'll work in your favour, or against you!"

"Oh!" Suddenly, Boa jolted up and rapidly tapped his head in frustration, "Oh, I forgot to mention a few things! Just some tiny details! And clarifications! As you saw on the notice for this, I invited other people to watch! People, er, like to watch this sort of thing. People beating each other up. I don't know why. So don't be surprised if you see some people on the balconies. Hope it won't throw you off!
Aaaand also! This is obvious, but. Uh. Don't try to kill each other. You know that already but... I don't _want_ to be throwing P.O.T.I.O.N's into the field. And I have a limited amount. If you see your partner struggling, give them a breather N-not that you WILL struggle!
I'll- I mean, I personally will, uh, be sat at the system, watching and taking notes. I won't be interfering at all, other than changing things and adding alternate variables to adjust the sparring match. You won't hear a peep from me."

"Feel free to set yourselves up while I get ready!" With that large explanation, Boa bowed his head sheepishly and made his way towards the console, out of the field of the virtual reality. Removing his hat, he placed it to the side of the machine and sat down on the small chair. "Now let me just... is there a horn sound for this...?" his fingers glided across the screen, data flying by as he picked up the statistics for the current ongoings. Various options, destruction level, various points of view that he wouldn't be able to see from his current location, the set-up was perfect. But where was the...-
Ah. There it was.
HOOOOOOOOOOOONK!
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Caen instinctively reached up to touch the spines on the top of his head when Volt complimented him on his 'hair'. "Um... Well, they're spines, actually, so that's probably how I keep them relatively straight... But, um... Thanks, all the same!"

Caen nodded at Boa's response to his ideas towards installing a bar at the guild, and said "just ensure that we know when drinks are supposed to be... Well, drank," before grumbling a little at the fact that this battle will probably get unpredictable quite quickly. 

The hedgehog looked up at the balcony surrounding the area when they were mentioned by the squid... Creature... ((Honestly, what do you call Boa?)) and smiled "I hope someone I know comes to watch," he said, before turning to Volt, a sudden serious look on his face. 

He stretched his arms a little, before jumping up and down to ensure that he was light on his feet. He turned away, and walked a few steps, before spinning on his heel and standing up straight, drawing his swords just as the horn sounded. "It's Caen. How about you just come at me?" He asked, a grin spreading across his face. It had been a while since he didn't have to take a fight so seriously, so he was going to squeeze as much enjoyed out of this as possible.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 am

Volt crossed his arms and listened as Boa gave his final remarks. There wasn’t much to add, so Volt simply left the strange-looking Mobian with an affirmative thumbs up. He then backed up and turned away, inspecting the arena landscape.

This city in particular was definitely new to him, but it still felt like he was in his natural element. Most of DVNz’s takedown operations took place in or around metropolitan areas like this—in some cases, even bigger. The high-rise buildings he could use for sniping, the alleyways he could use for cover, the spacious roads and sidewalks gave him clear lines of sight...surely, a marksman such as him would have an advantage over a swordsman, right?

However, as Volt turned back to the red hedgehog—Caen, he called himself—he saw a fiery, determined look in his eyes. This guy was here for a fight, and no matter what advantage Volt may have had on-paper, letting his guard down would be a serious mistake. 

His arms still folded, Volt reached his hand under his hood and scratched his ear. He then interlocked his fingers, stretched them out in front of him to crack his knuckles, then shook his hands to loosen them. It was then that Caen asked Volt to make the first move.

Charging a new opponent directly—especially with eyes like Caen’s—wasn’t something that he’d normally do. But it was just a sparring match after all; it wouldn’t hurt to practice direct encounters. He shrugged his shoulders and extended both of his arms, creating electric blades in each hand as he did before. 

“Ok, I guess. Uh, just, you know, watch the cloak. Just had this thing dry-cleaned.”

With that statement—and the blaring horn of the siren giving the signal to start—Volt charged directly at Caen. His speed was a little greater than normal, but nothing too extraordinary. As he accelerated, he’d moved a little to his right, attempting to throw Caen off. But when he got within range, he’d quickly weave to his left, feint a left swing to bait Caen in, then strike his right blade downwards towards Caen’s torso. He’d then jump back, gaining a little distance.

His attack would be quick, yet careful; he expected Caen to counter the moment he got near. 

Last edited by imbadwithnames on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 am

Almost immediately, the cockatiel had begun to charge at Caen. A rather odd strategy, but a strategy nonetheless! Caen calmly watched as the bird veered to the right slightly, before quickly hopping to the left and moving as though he would slash Caen, causing Caen to doge backwards slightly. However, it was a feint, and, react quickly, Caen held one of the flat side of one of his blade up, just in time for a dagger to bounce off uselessly.

Quickly, the hedgehog hopped back to put some distance between them. "Hmm... You're one of those fighters?" He asked, smirking a little, "let's see what you do with this!" Caen held out an arm, as several arrow-shaped flames flickered into existence, hanging in the air for a few seconds, until Caen held one of his blades towards Volt. "Heat arrow!" He shouted, as they all took off at the same time, heading straight for Volt. They would all make a small explosion on contact, whatever they made contact with, be it the ground, or a person.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 am

Just as anticipated, Caen blocked Volt’s attack. Thankfully, Volt’s backwards jump—simultaneous with Caen’s—gave him enough time and distance to recover and get back in a ready stance, anticipating retaliation.

Volt dug his heels in the ground, watching carefully as Caen spawned the arrows of flame. The moment they launched and converged in his direction, he leaped to his left to evade the direct hit; however, he when they impacted with the ground during his leap, the explosion knocked him a little off-center. Volt pivoted his body to, recovering and skidding in a three-point stance.

“Heh, yeah, totally ‘one of those guys’,” Volt replied to Caen’s remark. He was actually lying; although he could handle himself at close-quarters—his training with his sister, Mirage, helped sharpen his hand-to-hand skills—attacking this directly was not his forte. But, again, this was a sparring match. Being this aggressive was simply for practice. That, plus he didn’t want to reveal his ‘trump card’—that is, his primary set of weapons—this early on in the fight.  

And speaking of aggression: the moment Volt stop skidding, he lunged right back at Caen again. This time, when he got within range, he’d go for a string of hits with his electric blades, a flurry that’d leave lightning trails in the air with their rapid movements: a right cross aiming for Caen’s jaw, a left hook for his torso, a lunging right for his chest, etc. He’d end this combination with a quick right jab, which at most would only tap Caen/his blade as a distraction for Volt to follow with a snapping left kick to Caen’s left inner thigh, just above the knee, in an attempt to sweep him off balance.

Following these quick, calculated hits, Volt would step back again and put his hands up in a fighting stance, chin low, ready for another counter. “Yeah...totally 'one of those guys'.”
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 pm

The cost put between him and Volt meant that Caen's attack missed. Predictable. However, the small explosion appeared to knock Volt off balance for a few precious milliseconds, which was just enough for Caen to prepare for his vicious counterattack.

The first couple of slashes were easily dodged as Caen hopped back slightly, but on the third attempt, Volt slashes across his chest. This was soon followed by a jab to the side, knocking the wind out of Caen, before a kick to his thigh sent him falling towards the ground. 

Suddenly, a fiery arm sprang forth, pushing Caen back upright. He caught his breath for a second, before looking at his chest. The wound wasn't deep, but blood was flowing freely over his white chest fur. "Blood isn't easy to wash out of fur, you know," Caen said, sighing as he got back into a combat position. "Prices me right for being careless.."

As soon as he finished the sentence, Caen lunged forward to counter. He began with an across-the-body slash with both blades, before turning on his heel to send his right blade towards Volt's side. He followed this with an attempted kick to his waist, before finishing with a downward slash with his right blade.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Volt could’ve capitalized when Caen paused to catch his breath, but he decided to give him a fair fight. He watched and waited on Caen to spring back, bouncing a little in his fighting stance.  

Although the takedown failed, he did get a few good licks in: the hard kick, forceful enough to make Caen stumble, must’ve weakened that leg somewhat; the cut left on his chest, although not deep enough to be significant, did draw first blood. Only the tip of Volt’s knife caught him, though, letting Caen escape the painful electric burn typically left by his electric knives.

Following the hedgehog’s remark about said wound, Volt jokingly retorted: “Heheh, what’s the big deal? The color blends in with the rest of ya pretty nicely.” Almost immediately following that, Caen came back with a combination of his own.

Volt jumped back to avoid Caen’s dual-bladed attack. He began to sway right and dodge the second strike, however he was a little too slow; the blade caught him on his side, cutting through his cloak and leaving a nice nick just below the waist. Caen followed with a kick to Volt’s side; Volt took the hit, grimacing a little from the impact. However, he also spotted an opening.

“Oh no you don’t,” he said under his breath. As Caen began to retract his leg from the kick, Volt’d take his arm and clamp it on Caen’s shin, catching him. While latched on, Volt’d let go of the blade in his opposite hand, letting the electricity flow freely in his palm. In one quick, simultaneous motion, he’d thrust this electrified palm at Caen’s jaw—a strike that would painfully electrocute and stun him on impact—and use his inner leg to sweep Caen’s planted foot, forcefully slamming him to the ground. This takedown attempt would happen right before Caen’d go for the downward slash, interrupting and stopping it.

If the maneuver executed successfully, Volt would pounce on Caen and straddle him, pinning him on the ground. Volt’d then quickly place his electric blade to the hedgehog’s neck. “Heheh, gotcha now!”
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm

The first hit missed. That was expected, considering Volt’s speed, however, the second one grazed him, which was more than enough to pay back for Caen’s injury. However, when his kick landed, Volt grabbed his leg. Almost immediately, the hedgehog grimaced, bracing himself for a heavy hit.

Soon, a palm was forced right into his jaw, delivering a rather painful electric shock, as Caen was sweeped off of his feet and onto the ground, with Volt now straddling him and holding a blade close to his neck.

Caen allowed his breathing to return to normal before he opened his eyes and stared Volt down. He knew that Volt wouldn’t actually cut his throat, as this was just sparring, so he was free to try anything to get him out of this situation.

Caen chuckled “maybe so, but how would you fair once I turn up the heat?” He asked, as an arm made of flame began to rise out of Caen’s shoulder. It made a movement to grab him, however, if Volt became distracted by this, it would immediately disappear, and Caen would attempt to deliver a rather painful knee to the stomach, before getting up and brushing himself off.

“Now, how about we stop with the dirty tricks, hmm?”
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 am

In his mount, Volt kept his blade as close to Caen's jugular as he could without cutting or burning him. Of course, he wasn't planning on going any further than that; alongside Boa's plea against lethal attacks, he wasn't a killer from the start. But still, he wanted Caen to know for certain that he won this exchange. He was actually a little proud of himself for that takedown; he’d have to tell Mirage how well his CQC training’s been going when he got back to base.

However, the moment Caen's started chuckling, he knew something was up. Normally an opponent would tap out or concede at this point; the hedgehog must’ve had something up his sleeve.

In response to Caen’s statement, Volt began to threaten him, "Oh don’t you even thi—" but before he finished his sentence, he felt an intense heat shooting directly towards him. He looked over and spotted a huge, flaming hand jetting from Caen’s shoulder attempting to grab him. Instinctively, Volt dismounted and side-rolled away to elude both the hand and Caen’s follow-up attack. He popped back up a few meters away with a short skid on one knee.

Caen was soon back on his feet as well, brushing himself off. He taunted Volt, telling him to knock off the ‘dirty tricks’. “Oh, yea, right, and I guess a freakin’ fire hand outta nowhere doesn’t fall under ‘dirty’? Heh,” he chuckled while standing up, “yea, fine. if you say so, hotshot.”  He then took a few steps back and shifted again into his fighting stance. “Now how’s about you come at me this time, eh?”

Interestingly, Volt never created another blade for his free hand. He was only holding  the one in his left hand; his right was balled in a loose fist next to his chin, a standard position for his ready stance. Yet, his concealed eyes were especially peeled for the upcoming exchange, waiting for one specific opening...
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am

As the two clashed blades, activity was immediately flaring in the console room. The moment the fight had started, the strange dark creature had got to work without a second to spare. The main screen consisted of piles of data: body temperature and status, environmental damage, location of energy coursing through the body. It was raw statistical knowledge and, every second, additional numbers were calculated. The other screens allowed various shots of the fight from alternating angles.

Boa himself had evidently changed within this small time-frame. Instead of two arms, he had four. The first pair were tip-tapping against the main console, the second held a clipboard and pen and proceeded to write down the findings. His entire body had got to work as he gazed upwards at the screens, his odd eyes darting around.

So. Both of them were both physical fighters, preferring to be up close and personal instead of keeping ranged. Or... somewhat, anyway. Caen's abilities to manifest fire into physical contructs intrigued him - mainly with those flaming arrow projectiles and the fire limb. Volt meanwhile preferred to strike lightning through his weapon, forcing the blades to conduct the electricity and direct it right through his opponent.

First blood had been drawn by Volt, but neither of them were particularly worse-for-wear. They'd call for healing of they needed it, and it would hardly be a fight if they didn't push themselves despite small nicks and grazes. Boa's main curiosity was that they were directly fighting each other, but that was perhaps to be expected in a city environment. Both of them knew the city. This was an easy starter, something to get them going and get used to how each other worked. At some point, they'd get bored.

So it was time for the first environmental change.

To Caen and Volt, the arena jittered. Like a small bug in a video game, the city shifted slightly under their feet, giving an odd feeling of weightlessness as they didn't move with it. Small blips and pixels in the air shimmered and appear as the transition one from place to another occurred, overlapping, one giving way for another. The floor, the streets, the buildings, the scents, they all became raw computerised data. 
They greyness of the city transformed and melded into... orange and brown.

And with it... came the desert.

Boa's brow furrowed as his clawed hands tapped against the screen, altering the environment further. The city was a starter, but for experiments like this you always had to have low point and a high point. A starter before the grand meal. And this was just one dish. They'd fought against each other in close combat, pushing against each other to gain the upper hand. But he was curious how they'd fare if the environment was pushing against them too. How would they fare when there were other variables to take into account?

The streets were replaced with sand - each small, tiny, insignificant grain felt so real. It was no longer a flat surface, but the landscape was now littered with dipping sand dunes. Each step was a trek to continue onward, giving a firm sinking feeling at every motion. Not enough to go under, but enough to ensnare your ankles if you allowed it. 

Above, the sun beat down mercilessly. The sky was cloudless, casting no shadows on the arena. Of course, the sun wasn't there - this was a simulation. Still, it didn't stop Boa from cranking the heat up. From the cool city streets came an immediate sweltering rise of temperature. They weren't going to dwell in this environment long enough to cause them to faint from it, but it was enough to make you consider the possibility.

And you know what made this worse? There was a heavy wind, a violent wind. A buffeting wind. The air wasn't clear like the city - this air was tainted with grains of sand, and it fought back. The wind was a force that required attention, and it pushed as hard as it could to be noticed.

This was no longer a fight to best each other, but also a fight to best each other in the middle of a goddamned heated sandstorm.

...Was this too much of a jump? Boa's claws hesitated at the keyboard, glancing at the cameras with a conflicted expression on his small face. No, no it'd be fine. They wanted to be tested, and he wanted to see what he could do with this technology.
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Caen was surprised that his tactic was able to free him, and he was glad to finally be back on his feet. He picked up his swords from the ground, glaring at Volt's challenge. 

However, before Caen could speak, there was a sudden, unbearable heat. Then the buildings disappeared. Then the air was filled with sand, that buffeted Caen almost instantly,  causing him to hold up his arm to protect his eyes. He hissed as sand hit at the fresh wound on his chest. 

The hedgehog looked down to see his feet now deep in sand dunes, and an idea sprung to mind. He used the one arm that wasn't protecting him, and swung it upwards, dragging his blades along the sand. As he did so, flames seemed to trail behind as Caen called out "flame buckler!" 

Now, while this was generally used as a temporary small shield to deflect blows, instead he used the sand on the ground, sending it upwards and heating it up , until it became glass. 

As soon as a sufficient amount was made, he stood behind it, allowing his arm to come down. He summoned two flaming arms, grabbing more sand with them, and building a small shield around him, to protect against the sandstorm. 

Finally, the heat got to him, and he wiped the sweat off of his brow "this is going to be tough," he said, his breathing now much more fatigued. He took off his coat, dropping it behind him, and held out his arms, summoning more arrows, and firing them at Volt. "No, you can come to me!" He said.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am

Volt matched Caen’s glare with a sly grin concealed by his bandana. He began slowly flexing and stretching the fingers of his right hand, holding it close to his chin in ready position. He dug his back heel into the asphalt, ready to jump the moment Caen moved. He wasn’t looking for another direct exchange this time; in fact, he wasn’t even planning on letting Caen get close. He was ready to show his true cards.

During the heat of this standoff ((pun totally intended)) though, Volt caught a flickering mess of pixels in his peripheral. It actually made him jump a bit and break eye contact with Caen. Soon, the jumbled mess began engulfing the entire city; everything from the buildings, the streets, to the cityscape itself started glitching out. Volt was about to shout to Boa that something was going wrong with the arena, but just like that, a windy blast of sand in his face greeted him. Thankfully, his goggles and bandana shielded him from the brunt of it, but he still instinctively raised his cloak sleeve in front of his beak to protect himself. When he lowered his arm, he looked around, seeing an entirely new area. 

Oh, right...he forgot about the changing landscapes. 

This time, it was a desert—just as hot, arid, and perilous as a real one. Nothing could be seen for miles other than the occasional sand dune peeking over the horizon, radiating visible waves of heat. Unlike the city, there were no signs of life—well, simulated signs of life—that made him feel like he belonged there. This terrain was all but welcoming, but more importantly, a lot harder to fight in.

After briefly surveying his new surroundings, Volt turned back to Caen with a slight chuckle. “Yeesh, looks like Shorty ‘turned up the heat’ on us, huh?” he said, flapping out the warmth of his hood. He then put his hands up to his mouth and shouted, hoping Boa would be in earshot: “Hey, Bro-a! Mind givin' us a lil' warning next time before ya switch it up like that?”

He readjusted his cloak hood then dug his heel in the sand, testing its stability. As his ankle slowly sunk in, it confirmed his suspicion: gaining traction was going to be a lot harder now. He had to be seriously careful: move too fast, and he could hurt himself; move too slow, and he could be easily attacked. On top of this, he was completely out in the open with no immediate areas for cover, was near nothing of high enough elevation for extra mobility, and was at the sheer mercy of a violent windstorm. Yep...this place was going to be hard to fight in, alright.  

Nevertheless, he shifted his focus back to Caen. The hedgehog was using his pyrokinesis to turn the sand immediately around him into glass, although in an...interesting fashion. Volt swung his foot around and planted it as lightly as he could to not disturb the sands. In a moment’s notice, Caen was again summoning flaming arrows, telling Volt to advance.

The moment Caen fired his arrows, Volt leaped sideways again; this time, he made sure to get enough distance to narrowly escape the resulting explosion. After landing and briefly sliding on the desert floor, Volt pushed off and sprinted directly at Caen, albeit at a slightly slower acceleration. “You asked for it, bud,” he mumbled under his breath.

If he got within range, Volt’d go for another strike to Caen's torso with the electric blade still in his left hand. In both the advance and the attack, however, his right hand would stay free, ready to utilize his ‘backup plan’ just in case. He suspected Caen had something up his sleeve...but just what, he wasn’t sure.
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 am

Caen gritted his teeth as he watched Volt narrowly avoided every single arrow, before sprinting towards the hedgehog. He was clearly much more able to fight in these conditions than Caen, especially considering he was quite light on his feet, whereas Caen was slightly more... Let's say 'clunky'. 

Caen drew his swords, once again, deciding it would be best to stay defensive in the arid conditions. It allowed him to save his energy for when fighting became easier, and it allowed Volt to wear himself out in the heat. Two birds with one stone, right?

Wrong. Volt was still quick, and he had already reached Caen, and attempted another blog to his chest. Quickly, the hedgehog turned his blade to deflect the oncoming dagger strike, and he took a quick step backwards, although this was as much as he could do, considering he didn't have a hood that could protect from his face being buffeted by the sandstorm, and the fact that he threw off his coat due to the heat would hardly allow his body to fair better. The best thing to do would be to stay behind his glassy shield.

Caen growled, slashing both his arms across his body, attempting to catch Volt off-guard.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:49 am

After his blade clashed with Caen’s sword, Volt tried to plant his back foot and come back with another strike; however, his heel dug deep in the sand and halted his movement. At that moment, Caen retaliated with another dual-bladed strike. Volt managed to jump back and dodge it, but the lack of secure footing slowed him down; Caen’s blade caught and ripped the edge of his cloak hood, just missing his body. The close call led Volt to stumble, but he leaped back, pushed his feet against the sand and recovered, again sliding back into one-kneed crouch. He glared at Caen in the distance, holding his blade in front of his face, using his forearm to shield himself from the powerful sandstorm gusts.  

These exchanges were starting to clue Volt in on Caen’s fighting strategy. Caen wasn’t very mobile, and fairly defensive; he seemed to prefer more indirect tactics, e.g. barraging his opponent with flame arrows from a distance, drawing them in and countering with his swords/flame-hands as necessary, etc. This glass shield he created was a case-in-point example: it allowed him to remain practically stationary, safe from the sandstorm, making Volt to stay on the offensive. All he'd have to do was try and beat Volt off of him.

Volt realized how problematic this would be. The desert terrain was not convenient for the close-quarters, in-your-face methods he’d been using the entire match. It was hard enough to move freely along the loose sands itself, let alone with the added heat and constant buffeting by the sandstorm. In order for him to get the upper hand, he’d have to make Caen move...and he had just the thing to do it.

Volt exhaled a short, deep breath. He slowly motioned his free right hand to the buttons of his cloak and unlatched a few of them. This wasn’t the way he wanted to reveal 'it', but in these conditions, it was better to be safe than sorry.

He pushed off the ground again and, combating the sandstorm winds, sprinted toward Caen as quickly as he could. When he got within range, Volt’d lunge with his left arm behind him, seeming to prepare for another strike. However, instead of attacking directly like before, he’d stop a few meters away. He’d launch his left arm forward and throw his electric blade directly at Caen, into the opening of the glass shield that allowed him to attack previously. The moment the blade parted from Volt’s fingertips, it’d begin fizzling out, cracking violently with a powerful electric current. Even if it made contact, the blade would likely disappear shortly after.

And right after Volt threw his blade, his right hand would reach inside his unfastened cloak towards his hip, seeming to be reaching for something. Then, with a sudden upward flick of his wrist—as if pointing something at Caen—another projectile would trail the blade, aiming straight for Caen's gut: a short, yellow beam of lightning. It’d feel just like the sting of a direct taser hit, if not worse, if it connected. Then, his left hand would make the same motion; two more shots would fire at Caen's lower body, then 3 more towards his upper body. 

As these six shots would meet their target, Volt’d be standing a fair distance away, strafing sideways. In his hands were the source of those electric beams, his 'trump card': a pair of triggerless black-and-yellow pistols, which were holstered and hidden underneath his cloak the entire time. Throwing his electric blade was only a distraction, an attempt to buy time in order to quickdraw these and use them to rapid-fire a barrage of lightning shots at Caen. He hoped that even if they somehow missed, they would at least force Caen to dodge.

“Suuurrrpiiis--HYACKCOUGH”, he’d say, his speech cut off by a grain of sand sneaking through his bandana and into his throat.

Last edited by imbadwithnames on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:02 am; edited 3 times in total
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Volt had easily dodged Caen's strike, once again. Predictable, considering the hedgehog's circumstances. He glanced up to the control room, hoping that Boa would at least change scenery, soon. 

The heat was making it hard to concentrate on Volt's movements, and he barely dodged the flying blade coming at him. Then, suddenly, a shot of electricity connected with the hedgehog's chest. He yelped in pain as two, no, three, no five more joined in, causing him to stumble backwards just a little.

He raised up his arms, yelling out the words "heat wall!" A wall of flame rose up before Caen, just as Volt pulled out a pair of pistols, whose shots burned up quickly from within the flame. Soon, the wall disappeared, and Caen stated straight at Volt. "Are you mad?! That could have killed me! Can we not use actual live ammunition?!"

Caen shook his head, getting back into a battle position. "Just remember that we're not aiming to kill, here..."
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 am

Upon realizing the rounds from his pistols connected, Volt gave his signature, cocky grin. Fighting hand-to-hand was fun and all, but these pistols—these were where his true skills lied. Of course, using them effectively in this harsh terrain wasn’t going to be easy, but he certainly felt more confident with them in hand.

Caen, apparently startled by the sight of a gun, erected a flame wall to protect himself from any subsequent shots. He chastised Volt for drawing such a weapon, restating Boa’s rule against lethal weapons.

Volt spun the pistols in his hand, one after the other, making sure at least one stayed pointed at Caen. He was a little amused at how frightened Caen appeared to be at the sight of a firearm. “Aw c’mon, it didn’t hurt that bad, did it?” he jested. “Trust me, these babies won’t kill you...much. They just sting like crap. If you’re lookin’ for somethin’ that’d do you in, well—” he raised one of his arms, tapping a pistol against the butt of the rifle holstered to his back ”—that’s the thing you need to be worried about.”

Now that his pistols were drawn, Volt had to switch tactics. Instead of rushing Caen down again, he swung his right foot behind him, dipped his head low, and extended his pistols straight at Caen. “Look, dude...I’m kinda tired of makin’ the first move all the time. It’s your move now.” His voice dipped down, speaking mostly to himself: “Time to show you what I’m really made of, hotshot.”
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Caen narrowed his eyes as Volt explain that the handguns wouldn't hurt him, but the rifle strapped to his back in fact would. "The fact that you needed to bring it to a sparring session is even more scary..." Caen muttered, still back to pick up his coat. He put it on, shrugging to straighten it out. Something suggested that this glass shield was impossible to keep up.

Volt got down low, aiming the pistols right at Caen. The hedgehog stepped back, preparing for another volley, but instead Volt asked Caen to make the first move. "Fine. But I wonder how well those work in close range," he said, taking a deep breath to brace himself from the storm. He ran forwards, flames wrapping around his feet to stabilise his footsteps across the sand. Holding both arms outwards, he continued on, the sand beginning to buffet his side.

Finally, Caen had reached Volt, and swung his right arm how to attempt to knock the firearm out of his hand, before following this up with a quick spin, before another right-handed slash aiming straight for Volt's chest.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next