Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360

3 posters

Go down

Which version of Sonic Unleashed did you prefer?

Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 GDMEGbg0%Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 0lNb1KJ 0% 
[ 0 ]
Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 GDMEGbg50%Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 0lNb1KJ 50% 
[ 1 ]
Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 GDMEGbg50%Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 0lNb1KJ 50% 
[ 1 ]
Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 GDMEGbg0%Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 0lNb1KJ 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 Empty Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360

Post by TheBardPrincess Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Back in 2008, after what most fans view to be the first point that Sonic hit rock-bottom, SEGA tried to fix their mistake. However, what people got was a game that split people so much more, though over the past 8 years, it's calmed down quite a bit. Simply put, Sonic Unleashed introduced a great gameplay style for Sonic, but also forced the Werehog gimmick onto players who didn't want it. Despite this, I am not here to rant on how bad of an idea the Werehog was(I personally didn't mind it though, and I know alot of people like it in some way, shape, or form), I'm here to discuss the different versions of Sonic Unleashed. 

Whereas Sonic Team worked on Sonic Unleashed for XBox 360 and the Playstation 3, they got another team to work on Sonic Unleashed for Playstation 2 and the Nintendo Wii game systems, with Dimps working on the Day stages primarily. While many prefer the version worked on primarily by Sonic Team, thinking that the PS2/Wii version oozes with cut content like the lack of Empire City or Mazuri and no hub worlds(only weird map screens) and weird decisions such as how the boost was handled, people who played the PS2/Wii version and preferred it suggest that it had better level design and wasn't as "boost to win" as was a complaint of Sonic Unleashed in general. 

Personally, I am in the crowd of PS2/Wii. The XBox 360 and PS3 versions of the game had alot of odd situations that made it seem a bit more buggy, especially with the Hedgehog Engine causing Werehog Sonic to lose his shadow sometimes, and the extra content in these versions aren't really missed in my opinion(I liked the day stages of Empire City and Mazuri enough, but the Night stages of both are just too tedious for their own good, in my opinion). Also, I hate the fact that the boost button is also the homing attack, not even for any issues with bugs(I don't remember one time the game wasn't sure which action I was trying to pull off, honestly), just for the simple fact that I was used to homing attack being a double-jump action and I couldn't get use to it for as much as I played Unleashed 360/PS3. 
In the PS2/Wii version, the physics feel a bit tighter(apparently it runs on a modified version of SA1's engine), which is better in my opinion since it made the drift much better and more fun to use, and the boosting is as simple as a press of a button, and you don't rely on it like you technically would in the 360/PS3 version, where most of the time you are holding down the button. Unlike the 360/PS3 version, where you are rewarded for exploration in levels designed with pure speed in mind, the PS2/Wii version requires you get Sun and Moon Medals for nothing more than extra content in the form of Gaia Gate Puzzle sections which have to be my favorite part of that version, as it's a good reward for going fast in the main levels or doing well as the werehog. Get enough Sun and Moon Medals and you can take a small break in our fun and challenging puzzles! Very Happy

While I don't like either game's final boss, I find it... strange, how it feels that the Sonic sections running through the Light Gaia Colossus of both are the exact same in level design, but the 360/PS3 version of Sonic didn't seem to be designed for the level design, making it incredibly hard to get through on its own - LET ALONE considering it runs on a time limit in that version(I don't remember a time limit in the PS2/Wii version). In the meantime, Supersonic in either version is kind of meh, but the overuse of QTEs in the final boss of the 360/PS3 version is enough for me to say the PS2/Wii version is slightly better, if only designed better and not more fun than the other version. 

I will also note there is a Mobile version for older phones, one I haven't played, but doubt it's any good. Still, just for the sake of a joke, I'm gonna add it into the poll. .3.

Anyways, now that's all out of the way, what do YOU think?
TheBardPrincess
TheBardPrincess
Staff
Staff

http://pyrode.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 Empty Re: Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360

Post by HalfmoonHex Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:14 am

I kinda hate Unleashed game play wise. It's the only 3D Sonic Game that, as an adult, was to hard for me. I just can't beat that final boss, and don't even enjoy trying. I refuse to play those awful werehog stages again. 

I love the cutscenes; they're exciting and the hidden one's are really funny. I like the music; Every day track is great driving music. The night stuff is fun and jazzy. I love the Countries; I even borrowed some of that stuff for my OC.

The Day Stages are fun but too stiff and don't lend to slow Sonic Adventure style platforming well. The night stages are ungodly too long. The Wii version is a bit shorter, but at the cost of also loosing several of the day stages and bosses...

And that final boss... Yuck...

I'm glad I got a laptop that can run Generations so I can put on the Unleashed mod on it and never have to touch Unleashed again.
HalfmoonHex
HalfmoonHex
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360 Empty Re: Sonic Unleashed: PS2/WII VS PS3/360

Post by The Red Blur Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:32 pm

I've only ever played the wii version in full, so I cant really comment on missing content, buuut I still enjoyed it a lot. I'm one of the (seemingly) few people who actually enjoyed the werehog stages. Although, I'm in agreement that the final boss was ridiculous, and this is coming from a person that regularly plays RPGs!
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down