Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Questions

4 posters

Go down

A Few Questions Empty A Few Questions

Post by Xaelvik Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Hey, everyone,

First of all, I'd like to apologize if I'm posting my questions in the wrong area. If I did, hopefully someone can redirect me and move my thread.

Anyway, I'm trying to create my character for RP, and I have some questions concerning the world(s) Sonic inhabits. I've played quite a few Sonic games in my time and watched the old movie and TV show, but the world(s) and timeline of each game and animation always seemed really disjointed. Is there a particular timeline were following? I saw the information about Station Square and the Mystic Ruins and all of that, so I know it follows the Sonic Adventure series in some fashion.

Also, I remember Mobius from the old Sonic cartoon. Where are do all of the "Sonic" people (or anthropomorphic animals =p) come from in this setting? Mobius? Earth? Various planets?

Last question! Are there restrictions on the race of the character you make? For example, should we stick to races that only appeared in Sonic canon, or will any anthropomorphic animal work?

Sorry for all of the questions, guys. I'm probably overthinking everything a bit, but I haven't RPed in a while, and I want to hit the ground running.

Thanks in advanced for any help. =)
Xaelvik
Xaelvik
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

A Few Questions Empty Re: A Few Questions

Post by Electrisa Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:36 am

I'm saying this without really consulting other admins and only speaking from my own experience so here's hoping I'm still alive come next morning.

Admittedly a topic like that belongs more in 'Help Center' subforum, but it's alright - it can be moved later!

Either way, as you can see from the list of characters you can apply for (it should be right below application thread, there's characters from pretty much any sonic universe (except Boom - it needs to be updated), we accept ALL universes, sincs it would kinda suck a lot if you were a diehard comic fan and found out we only follow games, and not all of them at that, wouldn't it?
...that being said, yes, it brings up the problem of "what even is the canon at this point".
And I'd say, at this point it seems to be... all of them mashed up into some weird, horrific, monstrous entity, made up of Zones, towns, cities, adventures and different versions of each character from every universe, with everyone using whatever they like the most from each in their RPs.
And while it is quite a mess, I think it... works out pretty well?
Though yeah that's one of the reasons I'd advice not getting too near canon while making your own character overall :I after all the site canon is bound to change each time someone else takes over some character. Different understanding of their personality and different tastes of each RPer. I hope you understand.

Setting? ..yeah, same here. Myself I assume Mobius and Earth are two different planets (honestly this seems like the easiest way to go for me too?), but I believe it is a comic thing that they are one and the same, except Mobius is post apocalyptic Earth? Whatever it is, the planet we refer to in... all RPs I have seen is called Mobius, if anything! Whether it's second Earth or not.

There is the fact that we have human characters here as well! AND aliens! Invaders, tourists, or both! Bug Mobians, aquatic Mobians, anthros and not Mobians, anthro like Mobians, or just a simple ol' hedgehog will doooo. You can make a Knuckles ripoff or make up your own species, even mixed with Mobians. If you do make up like, a tribe or something, of let's say sharks with lungs, you can describe it in 'Factions'!

I'm sorry if my response wasn't entirely helpful ;-; I know the first part of it is a total mess, but honestly?? As long as you just follow the rules, you can do anything, and if you think you go somewhere wrong, we'll be there to help x3
Electrisa
Electrisa
Master Member
Master Member

http://electrisa.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Well I mean, in response to different points, and also bouncing off Elec's post above, I'm actually kinda shaky myself on where this would belong. Since we do keep character reviews and such in this area it does sorta make sense here - the Help Centre is generally for sorta general forum help? Though I guess this also sorta falls into that? There's probably a few places it could sit comfortably (or uncomfortably), but ah well.

The site canon, as Elec puts it, is a big mish-mash. A lot of the more precise details are kinda vague - more defined by people who take control of the individual characters. I'd say, essentially use the game canon as a 'base', and then other characters/outside sources are then adapted around that base canon.
Everything is a little wishy-washy. Though sometimes that's required for more leniency and freedom in RPing!

The 'Mobius or Earth' thing iiiis... an interesting question. The games - as far as I'm aware - have never explicitally said the name of the planet. However, 'Mobius' seems to be the adopted name by various comics and cartoons, so is probably the more accepted term for the planet in the fanbase. So yeah, I'd say 'Mobius' as more a personal preference for the basis of everything.

Races, as Elec covered, are essentially a free-for-all - go nuts! It'd be pretty restrictive of us to say 'Yep, Hedgehogs, Foxes or Echidnas only'. Let your creativity flow free!
Like, as Elec said, there's also humans here and there, aliens, and a huuuge variety of extra-planar beings like demons and angels. Some mythical creatures here and there like Sphinxes. Some homebrew races invented by forumites. Go absoloutely nuts!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HalfmoonHex Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:01 pm

I have a bit of headcannon on the Mobius or Earth debate. In a cutscene in Shadow the Hedghog he calls the planet Earth. When I play I have it so humans and Mobians raised in human settings call the planet earth. Mobians call the planet Mobius.
HalfmoonHex
HalfmoonHex
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaelvik Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone, for the informative posts. That definitely cleared everything up quite a bit. I sort of assumed that it was something of a mish mash of the various video games, but I wanted to make sure before I dream up a character and make a post. I was also making sure it's acceptable to make an RP thread that revisits some of the areas from the games (something I'm hoping to do at some point).

Thanks again.
Xaelvik
Xaelvik
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum