Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom of the opera

4 posters

Go down

should PotO be an rp? should it be closed, or open?

Phantom of the opera GDMEGbg0%Phantom of the opera 0lNb1KJ 0% 
[ 0 ]
Phantom of the opera GDMEGbg67%Phantom of the opera 0lNb1KJ 67% 
[ 2 ]
Phantom of the opera GDMEGbg33%Phantom of the opera 0lNb1KJ 33% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

Phantom of the opera Empty Phantom of the opera

Post by The Red Blur Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Hey all, it's red here.

So, my idea for the rp, which I tried using in the open RPs, was Caen, in his profession, finishing a play at a theatre, when the lights go out, and someone steps forward in the darkness. Now, as an open rp, it appears to have not worked out particularly well, so, I'm wondering if anyone would like this to be a closed rp, and thinks this idea works. If you think it's a terrible idea, you're free to say, as well. I'll leave a poll at the top, and tell me if you'd like to join.

Thanks,

Red.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Phantom of the opera Empty Re: Phantom of the opera

Post by Dregan Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 pm

I mean, my question would be, is there anything more to it? Is the person who steps out the darkness meant to be someone in particular, or is the idea it was just a set-up for anyone to abruptly jump in?
Plus, with the name 'Phantom of the Opera', are you just seeking to run the plot of Phantom of the Opera in RP form, or are you just alluding to the play with a similar concept of 'mysterious figure at theatre'?
A few more details on your idea and intent may help you draw a little bit more attention.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon May 09, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm trying to leave things vague, so anyone can jump in, because Id hate to alienate someone because they don't fit exact requirements. And, yeah, the name was supposed to be a concept of a mysterious figure at a theatre. I know, it's a pretty stupid name but, as you can tell from my introduce myself name, I usually pick over-the-top, almost pretentious names. It's my theme, in a sense.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Oh, I understand wanting to leave it open-ended, but I think you fall into the danger of it perhaps people being so vague they don't really know what they're joining. In particular;
when the lights go out, and someone steps forward in the darkness
Like, when you say 'someone', do you mean 'someone you've planned' or 'someone belonging to somone else' so you can provide a mysterious entrance for them? Is your set-up just a pure opener for anyone to hop into that role, or do you have a vague outline moving forward? Not neccesarily a strict one, but more a case of 'do you know what the RP is actually about after that point, or is it pure improvisation?'
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Thu May 12, 2016 5:46 pm

Hmm... I usually like to keep it improvisational. But, I think that a proper 'storyline' should really be in place. What do you think would be a good idea?
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy The Wolf Thu May 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Hmm...maybe a kidnapping? Or the opera cast goes missing? Classic mystery :3
Galaxy The Wolf
Galaxy The Wolf

http://spiderfiles.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spark tb Thu May 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Ok, so I sat down and read through your rp again, and here are the issues I have so far [some of which, I should point out, are not your fault, but would explain an initial lack of response.]

Firstly! Setting: ...To be honest, there are not a lot of people here who have characters attend the theatre. Most people prefer action rp's, or nice casual things set in easy to access locations, etc - Which means... well, theres barely anybody likely to be present when they all goes down, and those that are aren't likely to be ones who would get mixed up in this sort of thing. This isn't your fault, but it's certainly a big contribution.

Secondly.... well, it's rushed in, so theres very little time for people to get hooked in. You almost would have been better off spending the first post building up the miniture world of the theatre, then throw the attack out.... ooooooor throw the attack out in the second post, after giving people time to settle in. Because right now, it's a case of 'hey look my guy has just finished doing a great perfomance, oh look he's now being attacked,' which doesn't really give people a lot to work with, despite how it may first appear.

Thirdly... well, Dregan's already talked about this, but vagueness. Again, it feels like you rushed through this in order to get the topic rp, which unfortunatly meant people just... didn't have enough to go off of. I know writing out long posts can be tedious, and can certainly be boring, but taking the time to add a small degree of detail would make joining a lot more tempting.

Like personally, I like the base concept? I really, really do? But I just... it's not enough to get me interested, and thats probably where a lot of the problem stems. I'd like to see you repost it at some point, after taking the time to work on it because it does have potential.
spark tb
spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Fri May 13, 2016 7:19 am

spark tb wrote:Ok, so I sat down and read through your rp again, and here are the issues I have so far [some of which, I should point out, are not your fault, but would explain an initial lack of response.]

Firstly! Setting: ...To be honest, there are not a lot of people here who have characters attend the theatre. Most people prefer action rp's, or nice casual things set in easy to access locations, etc - Which means... well, theres barely anybody likely to be present when they all goes down, and those that are aren't likely to be ones who would get mixed up in this sort of thing. This isn't your fault, but it's certainly a big contribution.

Secondly.... well, it's rushed in, so theres very little time for people to get hooked in. You almost would have been better off spending the first post building up the miniture world of the theatre, then throw the attack out.... ooooooor throw the attack out in the second post, after giving people time to settle in. Because right now, it's a case of 'hey look my guy has just finished doing a great perfomance, oh look he's now being attacked,' which doesn't really give people a lot to work with, despite how it may first appear.

Thirdly... well, Dregan's already talked about this, but vagueness. Again, it feels like you rushed through this in order to get the topic rp, which unfortunatly meant people just... didn't have enough to go off of. I know writing out long posts can be tedious, and can certainly be boring, but taking the time to add a small degree of detail would make joining a lot more tempting.

I've taken your points aboard, and they are good points. I'll take at least a few days to think through the opening a bit more, then. Hopefully, when you see it again in the future, you'll be interested!

Like personally, I like the base concept? I really, really do? But I just... it's not enough to get me interested, and thats probably where a lot of the problem stems. I'd like to see you repost it at some point, after taking the time to work on it because it does have potential.

Your points are pretty good. Alright, I'm gonna take a few days before reposting, to ensure that the whole opening post is perfect! Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited by The Red Blur on Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : for some reason, my actual post went missing.)
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 pm

One last thing I'll say is, before you get on, if you're expecting someone else to fill in as the 'mysterious assailant' (which from what I'm reading, you are, I think?) you have to think 'What reason would they even have to attack my character?' Writing a base plot is easy, it's motivation that's the hard part. It'll be difficult for someone to justify their own character attacking someone elses when they have no inkling for a reason that their character may do so.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:44 pm

You know, I've been toying with the whole idea of a whodunnit sort of thing, like jetfly said, and I think it'd really work here. Of course, I still need to expand a little bit, but what would people think of this sort of rp?
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down