Dregan's Pixelly Panels

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dregan's Pixelly Panels

Post by spark tb on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:53 pm

I mean like, I really like Akuma. Based off everything I know about Akuma, there is a really good probability of him winning this fight?

But uh, stranger things have happened. Especially with the 'Bot named Frenzy.

[also Akuma's glowing eyes are pulling me in send help.]

spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:14 am

@Spekkal: EYES ARE SUFFERING.
@Whip: AKUMA JUSTICE? LASERS EVERYWHERE.
@Spark: ANSWERING PEOPLE IN CAPS.

Archive
Cameos
379 - Where Father Is

Huh. Looks like Seth might have issues. Who'd've thought? He struck me as the kind to be completely stable.
Funnily enough, the original script for this page was much longer, and had a lot more... well, both exposition, aaand a more in-depth view of Seth's thought process on the concept of 'Heroes'. Whilst I don't mind losing some of the exposition stuff, I do wish I had a little more of the mindset of Seth and such. Unfortunately, well... pages have limited space, and I have a bad tendency to write a looot of dialogue.
What can I say? I did theatre. I like monologues.

Also, credit to Shard for the sprite provided for this li'l Infodump.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Damn. A swear. Like geez, keep it pg13.
Also Seth really needs to invest in an umbrella or something. Wet hair in the rain is really uncomfortable.

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 pm

@Spekkal: SETH REFUSES YOUR PG-13, FIGHT THE POWER!

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
063 - Serene Demon

So, in creating this page I had two key important aims;

1. Take advantage of Frenzy's badass cloak sprites. In particular, string them together in a way that makes sense, I didn't want any of the parts of it all to be too sudden, or have abrupt change of direction with the movement/wind on his cloak. To keep the idea of a flowing breeze with the cloak (instead of making it come across as purely motion-based) I threw in a few orbs of light sorta drifting through. Sorta based the idea on Cherry Blossoms flowing through - though avoided making them actual Cherry Blossoms because... well, whilst I kinda like the imagery of 'Samurai Frenzy', I didn't want to go too in-depth on that. Either way, really like how it resulted.

2. Take the charge-in for Akuma's Raging Demon and make it part of his entrance. In particular, the intent was to make said charge in look as badass as I could. I kinda didn't want to just leave trails of blue Akuma's each one slightly more transparent because... well, why that's classic, I felt it would look odd contrasted against some of the smoother effects. As such, tried to make the further away aftershadows more distorted... almost gaseous in a way as they faded away. Whether to stick with that look for it or to go to the classic look for it, well... I'll wait to see if I get any complaints. ;D

Oh, also, you may note some more silhouettes on the side (if you're viewing on Smackjeeves at least). Iiif you've sent a cameo form in, and you don't see a shape which appears to be your character up there... message me! I've been rather unorganised before, and there's a chance I may've overlooked/not saved something. So get back to me if I have missed anyone!

Frenzy's Theme; Mecha Love
Akuma's Theme; To Kill A Stranger

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:23 pm

I'M BANNING SETH
And damn. Amuka's got game, son. Though I imagine from the mention of 'sheer power' and the hyping up of Amuka, that Frenzy's gonna make some sort of turnaround to denounce expectations by being a huge badass?

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Whip~ on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:30 am

I've got high hopes for Frenzy, though I think Akuma's probably got this. >v>;
It all depends on who has the better special effects--I mean, abilities though. C:
Whip~

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:53 am

@Spekkal; Amuka is my favourite wreltser.

@Whip; Who knows in the mystical magical world of Friday Night FACEPUNCHING!?

Archive
Cameos
380 - How To: Be Quite Literally On Fire

So, today we learnt that sometimes effects which work well on their own don't work so well together. See; my rain effects and my fire effects. The techniques tended to look alright on their own but as soon as you have rain layered over fire... Well, let's just say that I'm not happy with the effects here, and these are the ones which were only reached after a lot of additional messing around to get them. I can only hope that it's clear what's happening...

Speaking of clarity, yeeeaaah, mysterious off-panel guy talking! Special cookie points to anyone who can pinpoint who the voice/speech bubble belongs to!
If you're not sure, you should toats check out my other comic;
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=148593
You could get cookie points out of it! #AdvertisingMastermind

Speaking of being an advertising Mastermind, anyone remember the old Infodump I did on Mortis? The disappearing city? Weeell, now there's a comic based within that city! So go check it out!
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=157027

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
064 - Faster Than Light

Oh yeah, you can bet this fight is gonna be flashy. I mean, when one of your competitors prime forms of offense is 'lasers', fighting someone who's current weapon is a giant glowy laser spear thing... yeah, it's a fight to wear your sunglasses for.
Well, sunglasses and heavy armour. Seriously, being anywhere near that ring right now is potentially dangerous. I mean. That's one of the SMALL lasers.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:32 pm

I still need a temmie-face Devon in my life, and I am angry at you that you never let me do it. >:c
And akuma op pls nerf

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:09 am

@Spek; WHEN I LAST OFFERED YOU SAID NO. 38<

Archive
Cameos
381 - Who's Back?

The joke is boobs.
Bar'd is the King of high brow humour, obviously.

Also, yes, new Caek sprites! Really went off the old ones, thought it was about time for a change!
In particular, I also wanted to give her a few more poses which weren't variation of 'stood there in same way with arms in different positions', since that seems to be a bad pattern I've fallen into with sprites for various characters. It's especially worrying with characters like Caek, who wen I introduced I intended to be quite... energetic in a way? Or extravagant at least. Sorta wanted to go back to that a bit with her, so yeah, was important to have a bit more movement and variation with the poses - make her really feel alive as it were. Sooo... yeah, I hope I've fulfilled that!

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:06 am

THE JOKE WAS DEAD, SEAN. THE JOKE WAS DEAD.
And wow, how dare you mention b**bs on this site. Don't you know you need to keep things pg13, Mr Helper?
And goddammit Caek, you're not even wearing shoes. Just like everyone else who's been asked that.

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by spark tb on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:41 am

The humour is very highbrow, because Roger is present. He is the embodiment of class, after all. You can tell, because of the very classy hat and suit.

And because of his very classy wife.

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.

spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:01 pm

@Spek; I was talking about the birds, honest! You see, Caek is a blue footed booby - thus the brown and white shoes she is most evidently wearing.

@Spark; It is true that the very presence of Roger ups the class of the comic ten-fold.

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
065 - Two-For-One

I seem to keep scripting things into fights I don't actually have the sprites for. Hm. Well, at least expanding sheets is gonna help me more in the future, and noone in this fight is performing intense grapples. Yet.

Either way, I'd like to think this page somewhat demonstrates that, yeah, big flashy powers aren't always the way to go. Sometimes, you'll get a better result from facing your problems head on.
And that there is general life advice. Or, at least, general life advice for the members of my audience who can shoot lasers.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Archive
Cameos
382 - James Bar'd; Bottlefall

Ohey, dialogue-light pages, those are a rarity from me. Either way, I'm sure you'll all agree, it's about dang time that bottle fell. Glad I could finally deliver!
Also, some of you may or may not've noticed - you're more likely to've noticed if you're reading at SJ - but I've seperated Bar'd up into chapters now! We're actually pretty recent into the current chapter, so yeah! Organisation!
Ideally, unless I've like, overestimated how much time I have now, there should be a new poll up in relation to the chapters. So yeah! Polls!

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh what how have I not posted here yet. Blasphemy.
First, that laser reflecting off the beam weapon looks so gooood. Second, #akumaOP
And YOU HAVE YET TO ADJUST YOUR AUTHOR COMMENT FOR THE POLL, YOU REAR END.
and ew that infodump is awful, who's the loser who did that (the art is kickin' tho)

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:03 pm

@Spekkal; Waiting til next update so people actually see it, since if I edit it now, well... most peeps will've already checked the comic anywho.

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
066 - Hands On (Arms Off)

Seems like Frenzy has quite the disarming array of attacks. Eh? EH?
APPRECIATE ME.

Either way, I imagine not many people were expecting Frenzy take the early advantage. Still, with great power comes great responsibility, and if you're gonna throw yourself at a wily opponent well... there's always a chance they'll catch you off-guard. Plus, always beware of people with big flash swords. 'Cause y'know, they both;
A. Have a big flash sword.
and
B. Might have things they can also do WITHOUT the big flash sword.
In this particular case, those 'things' seem to largely be focused on trying to tear Akuma's arm from it's joint. Ow.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:46 am

Archive
Cameos
383 - How To: Accept An Offer

I'm not late. You're just early. The planet is too early. Time is too early. WE MUST END TIME.
Also, hell yeah, finally giving characters walking sprites. That is a thing I need to do more.
Also, poll has been fixed, and thus, poll results below!

Oh! And credit to Spark for Infodump stuffs! I'm terrible at remembering that!

-----

Results for seventeenth Bar'd Poll (New Poll now up):

Of the current support cast, who is your favourite character?

1st Place:
Seth (The Scientist)
14 votes (23%)
Honestly, right up until checking this post, I wasn't sure who would be here. Why? Because Seth and Roger essentially spent the entire poll swapping back and forth between first and second place. Seth essentially probably won just because of when I stopped the poll more than anything else. Still, glad to see people are enjoying him! Albeit, perhaps the timing of the poll was rather unfair, considering the amount of exposure Seth recieved through the entire, extremely long voting period.

2nd, 3rd & 4th Place:
Roger (The Man With A Nice Hat)
Alex (The Demon Hunter)
Outcast Mercs (Triple Score Bonus)
11 votes (18%)
Thiiis kinda shows you how close this poll really was. I mean, considering with have half of the characters all grouped together here - one of which whom was consistently threatening first place in the poll. I do admit, I'm surprised Alex ended up here - they started off doing teeerribly in the polls. Looks like more recent appearances must have got attention on them up... speaking of which, hey! More Alex on today's page! (And also more Roger, the nearly-1st-placer! Yeeeaaah!)

5th Place:
Night Mare (The Mysterious Hero)
7 votes (12%)
Nooow this is one I was surprised about. Kinda anticipated Night Mare in last, considering the characters has both never shown their face aaand... in my memory never spoken? I dunno, maybe being able to stand through elephant tranquilisers is enough for some people.

6th Place:
Devon (The Scarecrow)
6 votes (10%)
Poor poor Devon, right here at the bottom. Even below Night Mare of all things. I mean, I expected him to go low, he's had... barely any appearances at all. But at least he like, talks, y'know?

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
067 - Counter Combo

Welp, gonna try and get this one uploaded in between the internet randomly cutting in and out. Wish me luck. Ooor don't. Because if you're seeing this, well... assumingly the page is already up. But at least wish past-me luck. Because that sucker needs it.
This page was, what we called in technical terms, 'an unadulterated nightmare'. The issue with doing big strings of moves together is that unfortunately you have to actually make the sequence of all of those moves. Then there may be effects if half of them are special moves, so that's fun too. Also, ever tried to have someone elbow or knee someone in Advance or Battle style? It ain't easy!
Aaand in the end I think I made half of the page too cramped anyway. Welp. #KoalatyCawmiks
(Sidenote, I have been trying to get this page up for something like 20 minutes now this is Hell, please internet just let me upload this.)
(Okay we're at 30 minutes now, last time the net cut at literally the last step where I just had to hit 'post'.)

Also, seperate important note! What about? About the World Spriter's Tournament!
What is the World Spriter's Tournament? Well, the WST is essentially a competition/tournament where you make fite cawmiks to fite fiters making their own fite cawmiks and whoever has best fite cawmiks is counted as having the real canon fite cawmik, and that fite cawmik therefore wins and allows the fiter to go on to more fite. It's generally hosted by Akuma over at the Middle Grounds for those of you curious.
Either way, why am I bringing it up? Weeell, I'm on the fence about whether or not to enter. Part of me wants to, part of me doesn't, for varying reasons - and one such reason is kinda relevant to you guys the fans. I'm probably quite known for my random abrupt slowdowns/breaks at this point and the comics I'm running at the moment aren't exactly moving along at a rapid pace. Aaand unfortunately, entering the WST would probably mean an inevitable slowing of that pace again. The tournament has some strict timelines to it, and can take a fair bit of focus, and considering how I already struggle to keep up with my schedule as it is, the tournament would definitely make a dent on productivity for both Bar'd and FNF. And it's probably become quite noticable with me that when things in my schedule get slightly askewed, if often-times goes completely off the rails.
Sooo, yeah, that's why I'm bringing this matter to you guys. I don't want to disappoint anyone here by falling into serious delays and slowing the whole pace of these comics down more than they're already scraping by at. If you have any strong feelings or thoughts or whatever on the matter, please speak up! I don't wanna do this if all it's gonna do is have an overall negative impact on things here.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Whip~ on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:33 pm

Baaaaah, I say do what you will Dreg~! If you wanna scrap it off with some fighters in the WST, I say keep us posted~! I only speak for myself, but if it's what you wanna do then do it~! >V<
Above all, spriting and kameking are hobbies, not jobs~ So whatever you wanna do for fun, do it~ =3
Whip~

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:40 am

@Whop; I shall have a seeeee! Eternally indecisive Dregan.

Archive
Cameos
384 - First Impressions

Not at home right now, so uploading this whilst I'm out. Not missing an update, yeeeaaah!

Also, hey, remember when this comic actually made use of cameos? Crazy, right?
Y'know, it's really hard to achieve that 'wow she pretty birds cheeping and such' effect in a sprite comic? Who'd've guessed?

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:21 pm

If you don't do the thing I'm going to beat you up.
ALSO, NEVER POST AGAIN. YOUR POST COUNT IS 666. IT'S A SIGN.

(And don't be silly, Leo's not allowed to date anyone other than Boa. Everyone knows that)

Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:01 pm

@Spekkal; ...I have no recollection of what 'the thing' is at this point. AND OKAY, MAKING SURE I DON'T POST AGAIN SO THAT NUMBER DOESN'T CHANGE. I don't see any issues here. (Leo x Boa OTP)

Archive
Cameos
385 - Dynapotentiology

Oh lord, thank god this one's done. Had no end of issues with this page - not least of all Paint not wanting to save anything without crashing. Wound up having to redo a chunk of the comic, so this one's taken... prooobably a few extra hours than it really should've. Just glad to have it out of the way.

Still, disregarding that! I do honestly think this is a subject that's oddly not touched upon much in comics/series like this. In a world where everyone has powers, or magic, or whatever, the world sorta-kinda has to accomodate. Like, if every other neighbour, their mother, and their dog has superpowers, their probably has to be things in place on even the most basic level which are different - such as, in this instance, different classes.
Makes you wonder what other basic things would be different in worlds like these. Like, with all the aliens about, does Astrobiology suddenly become one of the standard sets of science? Do you require special lisences for the giant swords everyone carries around? Can you get insurance against supervillain takeover?
I dunno, just some fun li'l ideas.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by spark tb on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:05 pm

Man, that was a ride from start to finish. I didn't take the pretty girl to be the kind of person to preach a message about the dangers of powers, but man was I wrong. And man, her message is hella powerful. From here on out, I shall strive to make sure none of my characters have powers, to make the world a safer place.

you go yet-to-be-named pretty girl. Spread that message.

spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:16 pm

@Spark; Whaaaa? She reveals her name in panel 4 you silly goose!

Archive
Cameos
Match Record
068 - The Ropes

"You know what would be cool? If like, the ropes gave way due to the burning, so that Frenzy can then clamber into the ring and start whirling it over his head, ready to be used as a whip. Like, that'd be sweet. I'm sure future me won't have any regrets about trying to present this to his audience. No regrets at all."
Also, oh good, internet is doing that 'cutting in and out' thing again as I try to upload this page. It seems to like doing that.

----------

Sooo, yeah! Had a lot of things back and forth on if I should sign up to the WST or not. Some rather encouraging, some... not so much, but yeah.
Essentially, I've decided for now not to enter. This isn't due to any lack of want, nor is it to do with a lack of willigness to put things on hold during the tournament. Instead, it's more to do with the length of the rounds - about 2 weeks. I imagine in 2 weeks at absoloute max I'd get... 4 FNF-style/size pages done. If you've been following the matches here closely, you might note the fights I tend to write go on significantly longer than that - I'd really struggle tuning down a fight to that length, plus I think I'd be going up against significantly longer comics with more content. With work being how it is, I unfortunately don't think I could quite match-up unfortunately.
Still, I do plan to enter eventually - perhaps when time is more forgiving to me, and when I've really picked up the speed at which I produce pages. So... no WST for now. But in the future? Keeping my eye on the ball.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:33 am

Archive
Cameos
385 - Dynapotentiology

I do honestly think this is a subject that's oddly not touched upon much in comics/series like this. In a world where everyone has powers, or magic, or whatever, the world sorta-kinda has to accomodate. Like, if every other neighbour, their mother, and their dog has superpowers, their probably has to be things in place on even the most basic level which are different - such as, in this instance, different classes.
Makes you wonder what other basic things would be different in worlds like these. Like, with all the aliens about, does Astrobiology suddenly become one of the standard sets of science? Do you require special lisences for the giant swords everyone carries around? Can you get insurance against supervillain takeover?
I dunno, just some fun li'l ideas.

Also, hope everyone had a good April 1st! For those seeing this later and wondering what I'm babbling on about, essentially I uploaded an unfinished page and babbled about having trouble saving recently but 'being glad it finally saved'. As April Fools pages go, it was rather vanilla, no special Black Void stuff or anything - but it certain seemed to get a few people! And not only that, but I had a couple of people, uh... 'finish the page' for me. To etch them in history, here be those;

Djoing;
http://i.imgur.com/aeQJKK7.png

Gatemaster;
http://i.imgur.com/VyaAFvD.png

These pages are arguably better than the one above. In hindsight, I should've just uploaded these instead.

Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top