Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT]

+4
ChaoticBou
Tyson_the_Comet
Spekkal
Dregan
8 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] Empty Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT]

Post by Dregan Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 am

Hellooo! So, I run a comic series. Well, two actually! Though, one is on a... hiatus of sorts. Aaand the other only just came off of hiatus, and is rather long currently. Like, over 400 pages log.
Still, I'd be rather happy if people cared to take a look! In their own time of course!

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] 14gs2g5mju4v1X
Archive
So; A centaurian bouncer, a tomboy sheep, a bearded human, a squishy thing, a transgender ghost, and a dog with a questionable grasp on reality walk into a bar. The bouncer walks up to the bar, and orders a drink. The manager chides him and the others on being late to work, and then some sort of punchline occurs.
I dunno. I'm working on it.
Characters
Drinks
Cameos
Polls
Extras
Most Recent Updates:
398 - How To: Get The Post
399 - Fleece As White As Snow
400 - Pictures In A Basket
401 - How To: Make A Disarming Return
402 - Imagination Station
Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] Thumbnail
So hey! Fun fact about this particular page!
Page 402.
Just over 9 years of Bar'd pages.
First ever joke conceptualised for the comic.

Yes that's right people, this is all it was ever leading up to. The whole comic. This is it. You can all go home now, we've peaked.
In all seriousness though, yeah, this is a joke I've held onto for a weirdly long time. Back when I was first doing set-up for the comic and making choices and stuff about the nature of Shelia and Vas and how/if their relationship would develop, I came up with this one. At the time I didn't have characters to actually say any of the lines - literally 0 of the characters delivering it were even concieved of as part of the comic and that point.
And yet here we are.
Apparently in 9 years I couldn't come up with any better material.

That seemed like a good note to end the Author Comment on but OH YEAH OTHER THING TO MENTION. So whilst the previous page was put up on Spekkal's birthday, this one's up for my own! Happy Birthday me!
Whilst we thought it'd be a fun/nice thing to put up these first two return pages on our respective birthdays, hopefully moving forward, at least for the time being, we're gonna have an update schedule! Current plan is to upload regularly on Mondays!
...Yeah!
...I don't know how to end this Author Comment now!
...Bye!

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] 249961786IjOW
Archive
The new age of combatitive sport is upon us! No more do tournaments rule the waves, with our competitive heroes being a flash in the pan. Now is the time for building stars!
Prepare to view various independent fighters join a roster of competitors all ready to prove they are the best, working against each other for the new greatest prize in sports entertainment! The FNF Title!
Are you ready to make your Friday Nights just that little bit more... ferocious?
Cameos
Match Record
Most Recent Updates:
054 - Take Off
055 - Reign Of Fire
056 - Whirling Inferno
057 - Face The Flames
058 - Unfurling Winferno
How to make comics with Dregan;
>Don't write anything down
>Spend multiple hours getting frustrated with effects for one panel
>Make up more effects you want to add as you go along
>Provide no room for text in panels at the bottom
>Regret everything

Last edited by Dregan on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 11 times in total
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] Empty Re: Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT]

Post by Dregan Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Well looky here! Decided to upgrade the layout of the topic as well as future updates. This should hopefully make updates more easily readable, and provide a link to the archives more openly for people wanting to catch up! Hope you all enjoy~

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] Main_banner_2_fixed
Archive

300 - 5 Year Rebirth

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] 300

What? You thought Bar'd was gone forever? Gaaawd, it's only been... what, two years? So impatient.
Part 1; http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Drecanic/Bard/300a.png
Part 2; http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Drecanic/Bard/300b.png

Aaand without out the way, guess it's time to move onto the inane babble. The first subject should be pretty obvious...

-THE DELAY-
So, some of you may've been wondering where I've been. This comic is... significantly later than what was expected. There are a variety of reasons for that.
The prime reason was motivation. I was working on this comic at first through... some of the worst times of University. It was awful, absoloutely horrible, and around that point I lost a lot of the will to do anything, nevermind Bar'd. Once that'd been sapped away, the delay began... which bought up questions from people; 'Why is it late?', 'How's 300 coming along?', 'Shouldn't it be done already?'. Most of them were innocent enough enquiries but... well, I recieved a lot of them. To the extent it stopped feeling like fun... I wasn't doing the comic for myself anymore, I was doing it as if it were a job. It took away the fun from it.
Still, after putting it off for so long, I would eventually come back to it, time and time again. It was usually alright - got into the swing of it for a few days in a row... aaand then it would die again. Maybe something would break up the pattern I got into of working on it, and I'd have trouble getting back in. Maybe the pressure of how late it was would make me feel like it wasn't worth completing. Maybe - as did happen on one occasion - my hard drive would set on fire. Lotsa little delays would always build up, and over and over again I'd find myself not working on it for months at a time.
And theeen at the end of last month, I was speaking to Spekkal about Valentine's Day. It was up and coming, and she had one special request for me for what she wanted for it; 300 finished. Well, that was certainly one way to motivate me. For the past couple of weeks I've been working day in day out... over the last week especially, I did 100 panels. Finished it two days before deadline.
And now we're back.
Oh baby we're back.

-LI'L MAXIMILLION-
So yeah... I've always known how Maximillion and Shelia knew each other. How they grew up and similar such. The only issue is, it's always been very hard to filter it into the series itself. I can't exactly have Shelia monologue about it off-the-cuff. As such, it seemed suitable to start using the 100 pages to try and... well, fill the audience in a little.
In this instance I wanted to show an early encounterance, but also to establish something else a touch more subtly. Don't think it'll ever be directly mentioned in the comic, so I'll at least say it here - there's a reason Maximillion doesn't like humans. And that reason is wearing a red jumper and his spiked hair.
So! We've seen how they've met now, and isn't Maximillion a pleasant young chap? Hard to imagine that he came from that to his current behaviours. Guess we'll have to wait another hundred or so before finding out where the changes really began...
Oh! Also, keep an eye on those bullies. They'll likely be appearing again...

-FIGHT!-
So, fun fact: I really like action scenes. I believe I mentioned this before, but originally before creating Bar'd, rather than have Vas as a bouncer I was gonna have him working in a police force, with some sorta constable in the place of Shelia's character. Whilst the concept was dropped, it's really left me with an itching to do something more actiony... and here I finally got my wish. I just hope I've not lost my touch since the days my comics were flying hedgehogs and laser beams. (Everyone had that stage. Even you. Admit it.)
It was interesting to script actually. Rather than sorta write it out bit by bit, my scripts effectively reads things like; "Then Seth dodges some Jax attacks during this dialogue;" and other such vague annotations. Really, each fight was made up of key 'spots', with the rest being improvised ways of getting the characters into position for them. Hope it didn't come across as clunky as I'm describing it!

-TRANSFORMATION-
So yes! There's quite a lot of transforming going on in this page. Give yourself a pat on the back if you saw that coming as soon as Vas was sent out to fetch the drinks.
It's funny in a way - I remember that I put the bar forward as an arena for a comic before, with all the drinks in there to be used in various measures. I always thought it might be interesting to see how each drink was adapted and used to really change up and alter a battle. As such, I was rather disappointed that, when it came to it, the tournament usage of them was... minimal at best. As such, thought it was about time I put my mind to it and saw what I could really choreograph with these drinks.
It was also in a way an excuse to actually use them. I've introduced a lot of drinks in the series, but many of them... don't see much of a use. I like the concepts, but it's hard to work them into the day-to-day scripts justifiably. I thought this would be a nice way to get them really involved and to bring some new life to the basic concepts that they are.

-SETH-
Lastly - a figure most of you were probably not expecting to appear here! Yes, surprise surprise, the guy who was drunk in the very first day of the comic, and who has since only appeared to wear skimpy lingerie in Maximillion's office actually has a purpose to the plot!
Unfortunately I can't comment on him too much here - spoilers and all - but I hope this provides some interesting hindsight to his seemingly random background appearances. You guys should trust me more. Not everything is neccesarily as unconsidered as it seems~

-THE DETAILS-
Lastly, the details which everyone seems to want;
Time It Took To Make: Like... Two years? And a bit?
Number Of Panels: 374
Dimensions (Pixels): 671 x 27272 (Combined size)
Dimensions (CM): 17.76 x 721.68 (Combined size)
File Size: 11.05MB (Combined size)

So, hope you all enjoyed the page! Next week I'll start trying to sort out the big mess which is the cameo list. Two years really does mean that that's probably gonna need quite some sorting out.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT] Empty Re: Dregan's Pixelly Panels [NOW DEFUNCT]

Post by Dregan Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 am

Archive
301 - Perplexing Proposals
So, two years eh guys? Y'know a lot of things change over the course of two years. Like my writing for instance; oh lord is this page not up to standard. I'll be getting better again, I promise. ;-;
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Hello Dregan! I just wanted to stalk your art~ <3 and wanted to let you know your a talent artist! oDo I wish I could do pixel art but I can't :/ never could find out your pixel secrets~ I am not worthy! xD lol but ya' great work! Love to see more! o3o

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 am

Why thankyou very much! I've been sorta pixelling it up in the range of 8-10 years at this point, so it's probably more experience than anything, but still! Thankyou very much, and glad you're enjoying the work!

Archive
302 - How To: Get A Lift
Caek's dad is a manly man. In case you hadn't noticed.

A big thankyou to all of you who've sent cameo info and updates! Gonna wait till Friday to show another update of the list, just in case there's any latecomers and such.

And now onto fanstuffs! Been a while since I posted anything in that regard (even before the two years, as far as I recall), but Slice has been busy, first of all with this wonderful comic of Maximillion meeting another character of mine who noone here will recognise;
http://d.facdn.net/art/sliceofdog/1374190708.sliceofdog_max_and_his_money.png

On top of that he's created the toats approved and official sequel to Bar'd, Bar'd 2! Get it whilst it's hot;
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=142835

----------

So, uh, addendum. Majhost - my image host - is kiiinda down right now. Gonna hopefully wait out the storm (reuploaded this particular issue direct to SJ), and if it's not back by the time of next update, gonna start looking into... well, unfortunately having to find somewhere else to host the images.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 am

Archive
303 - Webbing Words
So yeah. The title of this page comes from the fun time had laying out the speech bubbles in panel 3. IT WAS GREAT! 8D
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:03 am

Archive
304 - Metaphorical Malfunction
I'd like to think in the end they got married anyway, and then had seven wonderful children called Kyle, Jake, Charlotte, Sarah, Roman, Lily and Kreshnorak Devourer Of Worlds.

Oh, you may also notice if you check the Extras page out right now, it's in the process of being updated! It's nowhere near done yet, but it should certainly be looking a touch more presentable right now.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 am

Archive
305 - How To: Ask For A Drink
Ohey, remember when we spent time in the bar and had different characters every few pages? Me neither! Let's do that.
Also, though you can't see it all right now, I'm going to reiterate something I probably said back around 200 - I hate editing backgrounds. Not entirely happy with how this one is currently looking as a whole, but still. Hopefully you get the point that it's all done up for the afterparty.

On another note... demons! I've noticed over time there's a large abundance of demon characters out there, aaand a lot of them sorta have their own rules as to how their 'demons' work, which are largely contradictory in nature (as these things are wont to be when you have such a big fandom). This is generally my way of attempting to explain away how all these different alternate 'demons' can exist together in the same world.
Credit goes to a lot of people who I borrowed demons and half-demons from for the bottom of the comic! So, er, big thanks to Beth, Chan, Deej, Meteor, Spekkal and Tsu for giving me plenty of variety to work with!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 am

Archive
306 - Planetary Proportions
There's so much more I could've wrote on Demonic Realms. Uuunfortunately, I don't want to wind up having the majority of the page taken up by the extra text. As such, hope this at least gives a basic idea of how demons sorta operate as a whole in Bar'dverse!

Big thanks to Meteor for art used in todays Infodump!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 am

Archive
307 - Identity Issues
Hm. Not so happy with panels 5 & 6 (Or 4a & 4b depending how you prefer to look at it) of this page. Originally I intended to find a game with sort of... really exaggerated characters of both the male and female variety. Unfortunately, with the timespan I couldn't find anything like that which I could proportion quite right to Alex' head for a good looking page. As such, ended up with what we have there. Ah well, hope it's not too bad.

...I also realise now too late that I should've used that panel to make a Professor Oak joke. Aaah, the missed oppurtunities.

Credit to Spekkal and Springdragon for todays arts.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I like how the 'most recent updates' don't actually have the most recent updates.
Tsk tsk tsk.
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:03 am

Shhhh, I'll get to it. Besides, I wasn't even sure if anyone here was even reading. << >>

Archive
308 - How To: Perform A Seance
When I set out to do li'l infodumps on the world and on the city, I never actually intended to make each bit relevant to current guests and ongoings. But I just keep finding page-relevant things to write about. Oh well, maybe in a couple of comics time I can move to more general things.

Credit to Shard, Os & Oli for the pics in this particular Infodump!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 am

Decided from now on to sorta do two-at-a-time for posting Bar'd on forums, just to avoid spamming up with the relatively frequent updating.

Archive

309 - Chris Is A Terrifying Ghost
Totally terrifying. Scariest ghost alive.
...Well, if you couldn't touch anything for years on end, a sudden poke might make you a li'l giddy too.

Also, today's fun fact is bought to you by the letter; This May Come Up Again Later. Not sure as of yet, as it sort of... it IS sorta important, and can allow me to do a lot in terms of future plot elements. Buuut at the same time, I don't think it's anything NEEDED. We'll see if it pops up again.

310 - Cassandra Burness
The joke in this page is that it's actually a very serious matter in the middle of a bunch of gag-a-day strips.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 am

Archive

311 - How To: Be The Embodiment Of Metal
Y'know the best medium for visual humour? Sprite comics. Yup. Absoloutely no issues with that.
Still, I think it came out looking rather well. Had a nice play around with some filters to get those effects on the panels and I think it all came out rather well.

312 - When We Were Young
Farm work does wonders for the body. Surprising, vaguely intimidating wonders.
Credit for the work on buff Caek goes to Chan, who you can find here;
http://uncanny-illustrator.deviantart.com/
Also, you should check out the full version of the pic, because dear lord so much effort put into it and I couldn't really get it all in the panel without taking away the focus. You can find it on the Extras page, which you may note has been rather heavily updated! It'll also be going up on Chan's deviantart soonish after this page goes up.

Credit goes to Fox-Die and Tsuyukiko for art used in the info-pack.

Polls

Results for sixteenth Bar'd Poll (New Poll now up):

How do you think the date will go?

1st Place:
Awful for all
33 votes (63%)
Well, I'd like to congratulate over half of you on being able to guess correctly... uuunfortunately it's hard to confirm how accurate those congratulations are, considering it's been over two years since the date actually ended and the poll update. Oh well!

2nd Place:
Well for Leo and Boa
7 votes (13%)
It amuses me that more people thought that Leo and Boa would have a succesful date than thought Shelia and Vas would. Well, apologies OTPers, Leo x Boa still does not appear to be a thing!

3rd Place:
Well for Shelia and Vas
5 votes (10%)
I'm surprised, in a way, how high up this is. Maybe some hoped that Vas would realise true love on the date, and that all would come to fruition for them. Sorry guys!

4th Place:
Well for Shelia
3 votes (6%)
Reeeaaally curious on the outcome people were imagining where the date would end well for Shelia but not for Vas. Maybe with Vas feeling too awkward to not further the relationship with Shelia, resulting in Shelia's oblivious happiness through Vas' continuing hell? ...You people who voted for this are cruel and sadistic.

5th Place:
Well for Shelia, Vas, Leo and Boa
2 votes (4%)
Oh you poor optimistic two. It would've been nice wouldn't it? OH WELL.

6th & 7th Place:
Well for Leo
Well for Boa
1 vote (2%)
Not sure what outcome people were expecting for these results... BUT OKAY! 8D

8th Place:
Well for Vas
0 votes (0%)
Poor Vas. Well, it was to be expected that this shouldn't've been expected. And then it did not. English.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:46 am

I realise that normally I post two pages at a time these days, however, this felt like a pretty important announcement to get out there now and on it's own, so here we are.

Archive
313 - ANNOUNCEMENT PAGE
There are no fools in The Black Void.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Ohey, I am actually update this topic yes-yes!

Archive
Most Recent Updates:
314 - How To: Go Through A Phase
315 - Easter 2014: Possible Candidates
316 - Ah, The Memories
317 - How To: Accidentally An Entire City Block
318 - Hummingbird's
319 - A Slice Of Dog
320 - How To: Carry On A Conversation
321 - Zombie Ghosts

322 - And The Pants Were Dead
One of the most fun parts of writing is to give an audience as many alternative answers as possible, and then to leave it to them themselves to consider what the actual result might be.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Ohey I was wondering when you were finally going to update this after months.
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

To be fair, it's kind of hard to register at times if anyone here is actually reading the pages. Or at the very least, people here who aren't on SJ anyway. << >>

Archive
323 - How To: Be The Boss
Y'know what would be a good idea? If I actually used the map I made for the info-dumps in the info-dumps.
Yeeeaaah...
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyson_the_Comet Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:17 am

Oh my- HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE.

And when I mean "These", I mean every single thing you used to make these and make it awesome. You don't have to answer me though.

But I want you to.

But you don't have to.

...*slow insane smile*
Tyson_the_Comet
Tyson_the_Comet
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:10 am

For the most part I just use Paint, and a GREAT deal of patience. Glad you're enjoying it though. XP
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:08 am

Archive
324 - Cyrup
HOW DO LIQUID? I DON'T HAVE TIME TO LIQUID. JUST THROW A RANDOM EFFECT ON, THAT'LL MAKE IT LOOK FINE, YEAH.
Also, yeah, li'l information thing at the bottom is a character - won't be a common thing, but will do it for celebrities or other significant public figures every now and again.

Oh! And completely seperate note. SO! I was asking about tournaments a couple of author comments ago. Such questions and glancing around has resulted in me creating a new comic series! AND IT IS not a tournament actually. Though kinda takes ideas from tournament comics - and wrassling - and other things - and just take a look already!
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=148593

Edit:
Oh, and before I forget, big credit to Tsurugi on the image used in the infodump!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Not put any pages up here in a while. So here are the ones which have been missed!

Archive
Most Recent Updates:
325 - A Taste For It
326 - How To: Experiment
327 - Halloween 2014: There Are No...

328 - Cake and Aise-Creme
I somehow sense some dishonesty going on here. But from WHERE?
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Sometimes I actually update my topics. Yes.

Archive
Most Recent Updates:
329 - How To: Dramatic Zoom
330 - A Feel For It

331 - The Darndest Places
Hey guys, wanna read Bar'? Wanna read a newspaper? Wanna read a comic? Wanna read a comic about a newspaper in the same world of Bar'd? Which also features that ol' Vertigo thingy place I mentioned a few info-dumps back?
WELL THAT'S AN ODDLY SPECIFIC REQUEST YOU HAVE.
LUCKILY Z IS HERE FOR YOU!
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=139402

On a seperate note, if peeps have any requests for Infodumps, feel free to ask for them! Furthermore, if you have your own ideas and things which you think would slot nicely into the world and I could do and info-dump about... Well, hit me up! I might not say 'yes' to everything, but I'm willing to hear ideas!

(ALSO SORRY IT'S LIKE OVER A WEEK LATE OR SOMETHING. AT LEAST IT'S NOT LIKE, TWO AND A HALF YEARS RIGHT?)
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:24 pm

HEY EVERYONE, GO BULLY DREGAN TO START UPDATING THIS THREAD AGAIN
ALSO EVERYONE READ THIS COMIC, IT'S AMAZING
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum