Tremendous Tribulations Tournament Sign-Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tremendous Tribulations Tournament Sign-Up

Post by Dregan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, hello... and welcome to the Tremendous Tribulations Tournament (name pending)! Otherwise known as the T3 (acronym pending).
The T3 is basically gonna be a small 3-round forum tournament, pitting forum members and their characters against each other to try and prove their RPing worth. 'How will it work?' you may be asking? Well I'll tell you... in this handy 'HOW WILL IT WORK?' section!

HOW WILL IT WORK?
The layout for the tournament is simple. As this is the first T3 we're hosting and it's gonna be a little experimental - therefore, we're only going to have 8 entrants for the tournament. These 8 people will be organised into 4 pairs by the judges (Currently myself and Uncanny-Illustrator, however, we are looking for a third judge currently). The judges will set up a topic for each pair in the RP fight area, where they will be given around a limited time (Probably from either a week to a month, this is yet to be decided) to RP a battle against each other. The judge in their opening post will provide a setting for the battle, and from there, you have the alloted time to RP with each other in.
Once the time is over, the judge will make a post requesting to halt the battle. The three judges will each leave a post in the thread, judging your writing in four different areas relative to the tournament. The areas are as follows;

ENTERTAINMENT FACTOR - Simply enough, how enjoyable your posts are to read. You could just write; "Jamie tries to punch Oliver" but that lacks in personality and flair. If you have a tactical character, let's hear about their tactics. If your character is a show-off, let's see some of that showboating. Don't make this a drudge - keep us entertained!

CREATIVITY - This one can be the hardest, but perhaps the most rewarding. Yes, you can fight each other all you want with your fancy moves, and maybe throw in a dodge or block in here and there... but that's not very rewarding. Think about the environment, the area. If they're fighting on a beach, kick sand in your opponent's face. If there's an audience, maybe hide yourself among it. Have powers? Think of new and creative ways of using them. The world is your oyster! So open it up and get eating.

FAIRNESS - One of the most important parts to me personally, how fair you are in combat. You can try and force your win all you want, trying to force your opponent to take hits and powerplaying to take them down... All that will do is result in a lower judging score and eventual loss of the combat. So! Try to give your opponent oppurtunity to play. Remember, RPing is a cooperative process - even when you're competing.

READABILTIY - This covers basic writing skills. Things like grammar, and making sure your posts are cohesive and make sense. This is mainly important just for narrative flow and feel. Nothing too hard to score high in.

You will be marked out of 10 in each of these areas. The scores then of each judge will be added up, and used to determine who is the battles victor. Huzzah! The victors will then move on to the next round, and the process shall repeat, till we have one person left - our victor!
Please remember, this is a tournament for FUN. Even if you don't win, please don't be a sore loser. This is meant to not only be a tournament, but also a way of learning and building on your own roleplay experience. A way of improving your skills. And of course; There's always a chance of another tournament, so even if you don't win, chin up! There's always another chance!

SO HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Simple! Just fill in the form below for the character you'd like to enter. We may ask for some tweaks or modifications if we feel the character unbalanced in any way, or if we need clarification on a point. Once the bio is at an acceptable level, you shall be accepted through and added to the list below. So, that's it! We're looking for 8 entrants at the moment. Here be the bio;

Name:
Appearance: (Description or picture is fine)
Personality: (Only has to be brief)
Base Combat Skills: (None special-ability info on their combat capabilities - if they're trained in any martial arts or a brawler or whatever)
Weaponry: (Any weapons the character may use - try not to go overboard)
Powers: (Any powers and abilities your character has)
Strengths: (What are your characters strengths when it comes to combat? What makes them so good?)
Weaknesses: (And now for the opposite. Try to balance these to the strengths as much as you can.)

We are also, as mentioned earlier, looking for a third judge. I don't really have a sign-up form of process for deciding that currently... But if you'd like to be a judge, feel free to put your name forward, and me and Chan will have a discussion about it.
Though it is important to note; You cannot judge AND be an entrant. So think about whether or not you'd like to enter before jumping for that judges spot.

Judges;
1. Dregan
2. Uncanny-Illustrator

Entrants;
1. Spark (Going Through Review)
2. Knuckles (Going Through Review)
3. Daunting (Approved by One Judge)
4. Holly (Going Through Review)

Last edited by Dregan on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dregan
Staff
Staff

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tremendous Tribulations Tournament Sign-Up

Post by Caliburn on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 pm

I'd gladly step up as a judge, I mean, if no-one steps up to be a judge, I won't mind filling the spot one bit.

I'll post here again with the character app done if someone steps up.

Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparknish on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Name:Tony "Sparknish" Spark
Appearance: (Description or picture is fine)*Coughing Fit* AVATAR *Coughing Fit*
Personality: (Only has to be brief) Cocky, Smug, Sarcastic, Heroic, Well Minded, Kind-Hearted, Intrepid
Base Combat Skills: (None special-ability info on their combat capabilities - if they're trained in any martial arts or a brawler or whatever) Uses the other-wordly fighting style of Buccanner Vipers.
Weaponry: (Any weapons the character may use - try not to go overboard) CQC Dagger/Katara
Powers: (Any powers and abilities your character has) ¤čLIGHTING¤č, Above Average Stamina! Flight! Above Average Speed and Vitality! Near Genius Intelligence! Vipersitoius Stages 1.2.3~!
Strengths: (What are your characters strengths when it comes to combat? What makes them so good?) He can absorb Lightning Energy~! He is a Living Battery!
Weaknesses: (And now for the opposite. Try to balance these to the strengths as much as you can.) He hates Water! He is very Nice guy so use that against him! Always does the greater good! Even killing himself! :DD

Last edited by Sparknish on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Eh...what the heck. I guess I'll use my CC-- not CC, OC.

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 am

Name: Knuckles
Appearance: Echidna
Personality: Honest, independent, headstrong, devoted to his duty, gullible, and very serious.
Base Combat Skills: Hand-to-hand combat
Weaponry: Let his fists do the talkin'.
Powers: Super speed, enhanced physical durability, high acrobatic skills and reflexes, digging, limited geokinesis, gliding, grinding, hand-to-hand combat skills
Strengths: Superhuman and physical; so vast that it enables him to accomplish incredible feats, such as shattering boulders to smithereens, punch holes through thick steel and lift objects several times his own size and weight. His super strength seems to lie in his upper body, particularly in his arms and hands. Able to split the hydrogen in the air by punching, strike out with his fists or throw object through air with such force that he can make them ignite fire and punch the ground with enough strength to cause fissures, tremors and even kick up small volcanic eruptions over a wide area. Strong enough to hold out against an army of robots without rest.
Weaknesses: Extreme light, heavy sunlight

(I've had to copy some information from my application of the OC thingy.)

(Edit 1: Shortened it.)

Last edited by Knuckles the Echinda on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Now it's edited. Could you also take out the ability to sense the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald as well?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

@Burn: Right, well, we'll wait to see if anyone else signs up to be a judge or not - I'll keep you updated in regards to if we still need one or if you're safe to enter as a contestant.

@Spark: Profile mostly seems good enough, just want to raise a few points on his strengths and weaknesses;
"He can destroy the world with one big giant attack! BUT! It will kill him in the process~!" - This leaves me to sort of question the upper level of his powers? Is it possible for him to not use enough power to destroy the world, but to still use enough to just outright destroy an enemy? I think he might need more... specific reasonable limitations in that regard. What's the most powerful attack he can do to no disadvantage?
"He is very Nice guy so use that against him! Always does the greater good! Even killing himself! :DD"
Just a note that, as a sort of pure fighting set of RPs, in the context of a tournament, so unless he's against something of a pure psychopath blowing up the audience to win, morals like this may not play too much into it. Though you can probably adapt some similar flaw from the personality listed - maybe play up the cockiness as a disadvantage?

@Knux: This profile is... very heavily advantageous really. There's a paragraph worth of powers, though admittedly this isn't TOO bad. The master emerald control/sensing and harnessin chaos energy/super and hyper forms would normally worry me, but I imagine they wouldn't be too relevant in the tournament itself. So yeah, Powers is good, really, just keeping track of which ones will actually play into the tournament. Honetly, the only real cause for concern there is the super speed... I think it'll be fine mostly, considering all the people who may be able to use ranged attack and such in the tournament. Just... I dunno, be careful with it. Not gonna say it's unbalanced now, but if I see if being abused much in the combat it may play on your fairness score, just a prewarning.
My main worry is the Strengths/Weaknesses. You have... two paragraphs worth of strengths, and two weaknesses - both of which being very situational ones. It sounds very... unbalanced. Maybe think about cutting down the strengths or trying to think of more weaknesses? 'Cause at the moment it's reading as very unbalanced.
Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Name: Daunting Strike
Appearance: First off, she's a scorpion. It's rather hard to tell she's female from first glance, due to the heavy armor which covers her body head to toe. Silver in colour, with her shoulder guards decorated with her town's symbol - a hydra. There's nothing particulary special about it, all things considering. Basic steel armor, rather heavy, which covers her body. The helmet covers her face, including a visor which can be lifted if need be. The only thing of note which is different are the red plumed feathers on the helmet in a mo-hawk-like fashion.
Personality: Daunting is... headstrong. Ridiculously headstrong. Give her a goal, and she will go for it. Failure is never an option with her, to a point where she outright fears it. Despite this, her actions will always be family-first no matter the situation. If it includes her dear parents or so help you her sister, she will make it so it doesn't include them at all costs. So, of course, she's overprotective of what she holds dear. A little more than what's healthy.
Base Combat Skills: Considering Daunt's life goal is to successfully protect the town she was born in, and has no powers and uses no weapons, it's safe to say that she excels in hand-to-hand combat. Well, hand-to-hand with a little bit of tail attacks here and there. Not even hands, really. Pincers-to-face.
Weaponry: Does her natural tail count? Not a weapon, but certainly something to watch out for. Yes it has quite a prickly tip, though a little sting is the least of your worries. The venom itself, once it successfully enters the system, isn't deadly. Far from it. It does, however, slow reaction times and overall makes combat a lot more sluggish for the one stung. How fortunate that said venom isn't automatic, and it will take several minutes for it to settle within. And don't worry! It wears off after a few hours.
Besides, she'll be too busy strangling you with her tail before it has a chance to settle.
Note: The underside of the tail is not guarded by armor, nor the tip.
Powers: Zero. Zilch. Nada.
Strengths: See that heavy steel armor? Yeah that's really resistant to physical damage. Have fun trying to make a dent with your bare fists. You might succeed. Second strength? Since she refuses to use weapons and holds no powers, her hits can pack quite a punch if unguarded, especially since you'd be receiving a slab of steel to the front of your face. Also that long tail helps too, tripping enemies if they're not paying attention to the floor helps to give a nice, firm beating of pay-more-attention.
Weaknesses: See that heavy steel armor? Yeah movement is kind of limited with it. She won't be an agile fighter, that's for sure. She's the kind to take hits head-on, and that tends to be the cause for bruises on her skin and cracks in her armor when dealing with high-powered foes.
Also she has no range attacks, so striking from a distance will cause her to come to you. Pure melee tends to fall short with fast, ranged opponents. Her armor can only take so much, after all.
Spekkal
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lady-tragedy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Name: Holly Celestar
Appearance: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/043/7/a/holly_2013_ref_by_lady_tragedy-d5uoutx.png
Personality: Outgoing, Sly, Manipulative, Easily provoked, Prankster, Pretends at
being damsel in distress, Lazy, Provocative, Over confident, Kind,
Motherly
Base
Combat Skills: Martial Artist, basic knowledge in most branches. Excells in counter attacking rather then making the first move.
Weaponry: Aegis Staff - Family artifact. The staff can change shape but can't go above or below its original mass. It also allows it bearer to shapeshift, but again never more then their original mass. However, the user can covey some of their own mes to add to the weapon or use the weapon to add to their own mass
Powers: Light Magic and healing powers. Basicly does a lot of flashy stuff with light. Can also release chakra points in her body for a boost in energy and power, but releasing more then 4 would end up draining her energy beyond the critical point over time, even after resealing. This energy can be used for an attack called 'White Apocalypse which becomes more powerful the more seals are released. However, after using this attack she'll be to exausted to continue fighting and if the enemy is not defeated, she pretty much loses the fight by default cause she can't go on. The time to release a seal increases exponentialy. The first takes a minute to release. The second 10 minutes, the third takes as much as a hour. and so on and so forth.
Strengths: A lot of Experience being over 3000 of age, Skilled Martial Artist and Has a large energy supply (the seals)
Weaknesses: Under estimates opponents, Lacks physical strength and doesn't fare well against dark energy.

For more information and ability modifiers: http://fyirri.wikidot.com/holly-celestar Go here

lady-tragedy
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:43 pm

@Tank: Can't really find any issues with the bio. At the moment in fact it's looking rather... underpowered, at least comparitive to other contestants. This isn't a problem for being accepted, so much as a safety warning preempting combat.
Other than that, you're accepted by me. Just to make the process slightly more fair, to be fully accepted, you need to be accepted by at least two judges - currently Chan is our only other one sooo... up to her to criticise and/or accept now... Whee!

@Lady: Mostly good. Can I maybe ask for a limited number of uses on the Aegis Staff per battle? Something like... only two or three uses? Just because I'm worried that in combination with also the light magic, healing powers, martial arts and chakra potential it might be... a bit much? I mean, I dunno, I'm a bit up and down as it's sort of on that edge where it's not OP, but it could raise an eyebrow or two. Think I'm fine with the powers/weaponry/strength and all that, no need to get rid of anything, just to put a small limitation on what is there. So, er, yeah, would you be happy to limit number of uses on the staff? Then I'd be pretty happy to accept.
Dregan
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by wondrer on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello there! I'd like to be the third judge in the tournament.

wondrer
Newbie Member
Newbie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top