Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healing Scars: Shay's Story (First person POV)

Go down

Healing Scars: Shay's Story (First person POV) Empty Healing Scars: Shay's Story (First person POV)

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm

(Yes, the chapters are a bit short. I have the first 12 done already, so I'll post them and come back when I get more done.)

Chapter one: Flashback

I watched them leave. "Mommy? Daddy!" I ran after them.
"Shay, this is hide and seek. Go back and count. Then try to find us." Mom had said, and dragged me back to where she'd left me.
"Oh... ok!" I went back to a corner in the alley, and started counting. "One.. two... three.." I looked up after I had counted. I wandered out of the alley, onto the sidewalk. The wind started picking up on that cold, winter night. They were gone. I found a small crawl space, and went into it. I didn't know at the time that they had left me, as I shivered through the coldest, sleepless night of the year.

--

Chapter two: Forgotten

-7 years later-

I flicked my ears toward movement on my right. "They've found me..." I thought, bracing myself for the G.U.N soldiers about to attack.
"91 to Commander. We've found the girl. Preparing retrieval" one of the soldiers reported, holding an AK-47 with him. "Miss, surrender now. I don't want to have to use force" he firmly said.
I gave a smug grin. "Sorry. I've got more important things to do..." a soft crackle filled the air as electricity lit up the space around me. I held the stolen Chaos Emerald in my hand, which had started to glow. "Chaos Control!" I whispered to myself, and teleported away.
Later that day, I returned to my little 'home' in the abandoned building, and stared at the red emerald laying in front of me. "One down... seven to go..." I thought to myself. My mind went to a memory of my family. My smile quickly faded into an empty frown. "Where are you now?" The question rang in my head. "I miss you..." A tear formed in my eyelids, and escaped down my cheek. A memory played in my mind from when I was 4.
"Shay! What are you doing?" Mother giggled when she saw me trying to steal my dad's wallet. "Making money!" I had answered. Mom then took me in her arms, and Dad joined me, reclaiming his wallet.
"What went wrong?" I wondered, closing my eyes for a second. Just thinking about it hurt. I couldn't even remember if I had any siblings... did I have siblings? It's been so long that I couldnt even remember what my mom and dad looked like. I looked at a ground, wondering if I'd ever see them again.
--

Chapter three: Love and Theft

I peaked out of the crawl space. The first flakes of snow drifted quietly to the ground, powdering the sidewalk. I yawned. "Better get a jacket" I thought, and disappeared for a moment and returned with a small, red blanket with many holes. It wasn't much, but it was of some help against the frigit winds. I wandered down the block. I saw a mother and her three children, a girl and two boys. The dad was on the other side, looking very proud. I gave a warm smile, and then drooped my ears again. "Mother..." I closed my eyes for a moment, and opened them. The young girl giggled as her mom took her in her arms.
"I love you.." the mom said, looking deep into her child's eyes, showing that she meant it.
"I love you more..." the girl giggled.
"I love you most." The mom wrapped the girl in a hug.
It was there that I couldn't take it anymore. I ran down the block, to the black market. I saw a young boy, watching a bright red apple that he couldn't quite reach. I flicked my ears towards him. I quietly sneaked the apple from the stand, and gave it to him.
"You're going to pay for that, aren't you?"
I turned my head to the gritty voice whom id just heard. "It wouldn't hurt to give to the needy once in a while. I'm sure there's plenty to go around" I shot back, giving the man a cold stare.
"Ma'am, this is a business. It's very hard to earn a living here. Now are you going to- Hey! You're that theif!" He hissed, getting out a sharp, slicing knife.
"Yeah.. at least I have enough of a heart to give rather than to earn." I countered.
The man narrowed his eyes.
"Go. Get out of here." I whispered to the boy, giving him a kind look to mask myfeelings for the shop owner.
"Bless you, miss" He returned the smile, and ran off. I waited until he was well out of sight to look at the shop owner. "Gotta run. See you later." I waved in sort of a smug manner, and ran off.
----

Chapter four: Eavsdropper

It was late afternoon when I found myself drifting into a whirlwind of thought. My past was a confusing one, that's for sure, and also frustrating to the point of insanity (trust me, it was that bad). I was starting to come the the conclusion of never finding my parents again. I rubbed the battle axe birthmark on my arm. I wanted to give up; I wanted to forget everything that has ever happened. I wished that I could destroy the secret, but no one knows how tightly I'm bound. I trudged through a small, narrow alley.
"I'm telling you! He actually found it!"
I perked my ears towards a voice, and hid behind the wall. I listened closely.
"The blue Chaos Emerald was found by G.U.N! They have higher security since that sneaky little theif broke in and stole the red one..." a young boy exclaimed to one of his friends.
I blinked. "The most important information you can find in the strangest places..." I thought, and inched away from the pair. My next goal was set for me, and I had one of the best advantages on my side.
--

Chapter five: Let's Play a Game of Hide and Seek...

I trudged down a hidden trail, toward where the government lockdown area was. There was a very high fence, with others inside, and searchlights everywhere. Soldiers were everywhere scouting the perimeter, and police buggies were humming to and fro. Cameras lined the building; not an inch of ground was ignored. I cracked my knuckles. "This is where years of training comes into play..." I thought, and climbed a tree high enough to leap over the first row of fencing. My black quills worked perfect for staying hidden in the shadows; it blended nicely. I sprinted across a flat stretch, and screeched to a halt when I saw two G.U.N men keeping watch. I narrowed my eyes, and crouched. I slinked behind one, and kept an eye on the other. One option was to knock them both out and take their weapons, but that would give away my position. I decided to try to creep toward a weak point in the second row of fencing. I smiled to myself, and jogged toward a break in the fence. "That was convenient.." I thought, squeezing past the wire. I blinked at a searchlight coming my way, and hid behind a box. "The mazelike structure of the outside is difficult, I'll give them that..." I twitched an ear at my own thought. What was waiting on the inside? I peaked my head toward a clearing, and spotted an air vent, leading to the inside of the building. "Score!" I grinned, and bounded toward it. I kept an eye on the security cameras wavering overhead as I removed the seal, and crawled inside the tiny vent system. "Never underestimate a thief..." I said to myself and shimmied toward the main vent system. I thought I'd be in the clear once I found the emerald, but man was I wrong.
--

Chapter six: Enemy Reunion

Once I got to the end of the air vent, I took a look at what I was dealing with. A dark hall was awaiting me, but something wasn't right. Was there something I should be concerned about? I removed the screws in the air duct, and pushed my way through. My feet moved forward even if my mind wasn't. My ears swiveled on my head. It was too quiet, and I started getting a little edgy. I looked around the corner of an opening. My hopes faded when the emerald wasn't on the other side, but something screamed in my head about this room. There were no windows in here; no way of escape. I cautiously took a step inside. The door caved in, and I quickly turned to run. "No! This isn't supposed to happen!" I screamed in my head, and started panicking when I heard approaching footsteps. My heart pounded as I got my dagger out of my pocket. It was a trap.
"Shaylee the hedgehog... about time you showed up..." A dark figure approached me. I knew that voice somehow, but I had no idea why.
"W-who are you?!?" I watched the movement of the figure.
The figure only gave me a smug smirk. "I've been watching you, and I have 'plans'"
My heart shouted danger. "What do you want with me?? Why can't you get someone else?"
The figure stopped about 5 yards from me. "Because, you're the only one with the power of a voltage laser..."
My eyes widened. "How do you know that?" I snapped at the silhouette.
"That's for me to know" the hedgehog cracked a grin, then threw a knockout grenade at me.
I was caught unprepared, and breathed in the fumes. My world was getting darker, until I was forced to close my eyes.
---

Chapter seven: Drained

When I woke, it took me a while to remember what had happened. Where was I? I looked around, and realized I was hooked up to some device, with both on my arms chained. I blinked with my ears tilted a little to the side as I thought about my surroundings. Captured! It suddenly hit me like a slap to the face. I tried to get free, but I couldn't move.
"Struggling will only make it harder..."
A voice startled me as my head shot up and I turned to the same figure who had set me up. "Who are you?! Why am I here?!" I hissed at him.
The figure came into the dim light, and I saw a grey hedgehog with black tipped quills. "Oh Shay, you're so forgetful. Its a pity that such a young, spirited girl had to go through what you did..." he made a fake sympathetic face, and went over to a switch that turned whatever I was hooked up to on.
"What is that? What are you doing?!" I pleaded, trying not to let my fear override my confident tone.
"This is an Energy Generator.... It will expose you to negative energy waves, and we both know what happens after that..." he simply answered.
"No..." I thought back to when I once was exposed to too much negative energy. I lost control of myself, and nearly destroyed everything. "What do you want with my dark form?" I asked.
"Another very good question... you see, those chains you have around your wrists are energy resistant. Once you turn into your Voltage Blast, these chains will restrain you, while your powers are sucked right out of your body...." he explained.
"And transferred to you..." I finished quietly. I pulled at the chains, desperately trying to get free.
"Precisely... you catch on quick..." he flipped the switch and walked into a cell.
I broke out to beads of sweat as negative energy crept down the chains and up my arms. It started absorbing into my body, and my fur and quills turned pitch black and my stripes a dark blue. My eyes turned a bright red as I lost control of my body. Blue electric sparks shot out of my body in the painful process. I screamed, fearful of losing myself again. A deafening crackle wafted through the air as I growled and groaned. I then felt a weakness coming over me. My powers were being drained into the cell where the strange hedgehog was. I heard a dark, evil laugh come from the small space as I felt oddly, and helplessly weak. The chains gave way, and I fell to my knees, my fur a bit paler from the process. I faded to my normal color; a bit of my personality seemed to be sucked out of me.
"The transformation's complete..." The hedgehog said in a low, dark voice as he came out of a black mist.
"You insane creep... you don't know what you just did to yourself..." I snarled between weak coughs.
"It won't matter once I remove the Earth's magnetic field..." he twitched an ear in my direction. "Why does it matter to you... that town was nothing but torture to you when your parents left you..."
"Don't talk that way about my parents! It's true, they did leave me, but that doesn't mean I won't stop searching for them. I still love them no matter what they've done." I snapped at him again, and struggled to my feet.
"Brave words... too bad you won't have the heart to say it anymore..." the grey hedgehog teleported away before I could say any more.
I fell to my knees again. "No!" I pounded the ground, feeling helpless and feeble. I looked up and noticed a path that I have never seen before. "You've messed with the wrong girl..." I whispered to myself, as I weakly got up, and stalked down the trail. I had a new sense of revenge, and I won't let this one get past me.
--

Chapter 8: Powerless

It felt weird having no powers. My body felt vulnerable as I regained some strength to move down the strange path. With only a small dagger to protect me, I had to admit I didn't feel like the thief I used to be. My mind went to the hedgehog as I heard a deafening blast outside somewhere. I pinned my ears. "You're going to pay.... and if I die, I die." I thought as my feet went from a quick paced walk to a full out sprint down the trail, dodging the thistle bushes that have grown over most of it. "A grey hedgehog... black tipped quills... that familiar voice and look..." I screeched to a halt. "Kamden..." My eyes widened, remembering that warm, summer afternoon a year ago.
I was in my 100,000 Voltage form when I briefly met Kamden for the first time. I had just gotten done defeating a G.U.N robot.
"You're the one I want...."
I startled at the voice, and whipped around at a strange hedgehog. "Who might you be?"I asked as I faded to my normal form.
"The name's Kamden. Kamden the Hedgehog. You know, I saw you use your Voltage Laser and I would like your help on a little 'project.' Would you mind helping me?" He had a little edginess in his voice. As Kamden walked up to me, I couldn't help but feel a little uneasy.
"Uh... Maybe some other time?" I tried to find an alibi as I turned to walk away. I felt a tight grip on my shoulder as I was spun around by the strange guy.
"I don't take no for an answer..." Kamden's eyes made contact with mine.
"Back up! Leave me alone!" I kicked him in the shin and started running.
Kamden held the leg I kicked. "I'll find you again Shay! I swear!" He watched me leave, studying my looks.
I brought myself back to the reality. "Looks like there was one thing you failed at..." I sneered in my head. I thought I had Kamden all figured out. Only later will I realize how much I underestimated a mercenary.
--

Chapter 9: Thoughts Speak Louder than Actions

I crept down the path. I hated this feeling of emptiness. 'Kamden, I will find, and kill you!' I thought, and slid through some thorns. I heard a blast in the distance, and imagined the sinister glare on Kamden's bloodthirsty face. It was like he were right beside me, laughing right in my ear. I couldn't take it. Thoughts raced through my head. Should I face him? I kicked a stone with a thoughtful look on my face. My quills seemed palish. I stopped, and looked at a star in the sky. I closed my eyes as another memory of my childhood pictured itself. My parent's images were blurry.
I was on my porch steps with a discouraged look on my face.
"Shay... what's wrong?" my mother had asked, quietly sitting beside me.
"I can't do anything right, and no one likes me." I cried.
"That's not true... You can do anything if you're determined enough, and have the inspiration and courage to do it without giving up" Mom wrapped me in a hug.
I opened my eyes as I returned to reality. "Thanks, Mom." I smile, and begin jogging down the path again. Maybe there was some hope to defeat Kamden, and if I were going to do so, I'll need some new weapons, and a new determination.
---

Chapter 10: Gale Xyzinc

I began to wonder if I was ever going to get out of this maze. I feel like I've been running in circles ever since I've left Kamden's lab. 'Am I ever going to get to Metropolis?' I thought, deciding to take a break and think about my surroundings. Where was I? Everything looked the same. I kicked a rock beneath my feet, noticing the setting sun. It would be night soon; it's about 7:00 p.m., if I calculated the sun right. I sat at the base of a tree, and tucked my knees against my chest, wrapping my arms around them. I laid my head against my knees and closed my eyes. Thoughts whirred in my head. What if I was too late? An image played in my mind:
I sprinted and burst out of the bushes, toward the city where I grew up. Kamden was destroying everything! I snarled and flattened my ears as I raced toward the grey hedgehog, getting closer with every pounding step. I leaped into the air, forgetting I didn't have any powers, and tried to blast an energy current at my enemy. Wait. Where did he go? I fell and landed on my feet, flicking my active ears. There was a hissing noise as I was suddenly driven into the ground by a powerful force. I looked up weakly to see Kamden smirking at me. He grabbed me by the throat, and picked me up a few inches off the ground.
"What's wrong, Shay?" He sneered, looking me in the eyes. A rumble came from the ground, and I looked over to see the earth crumbling and caving in on itself around us. I looked around at the earth separating and glanced into one of the gaps that fell for miles into a lava filled lake. The sky had turned blood red as I turned to look Kamden in the eyes.
"Don't do this, Kamden!" I screamed as he held me over the edge.
"Sorry. This is where your story ends..." He said flatly, and threw me into the the abyss. I tried to grab the edge as I fell, but my grip slipped. My life flashed before my eyes as I hit the ground with a heart chilling thump.
"No!" I woke with a start, and flinched at movement at my right. I reached for my dagger, but realized it had been taken by Kamden. I slowly got up, swiveling my ears. A twig snapped, and I watched a bush rustle. Instantly, a large cat, maybe a puma, exploded out of the thickets, hissing and lashing its unsheathed claws at me. I jumped, realizing how much of a situation I was in. No powers to electrocute it with. No knives or any other weapons. Just my fists and legs to fight with. I took a slow step back from the snarling beast as it stalked toward me to fill the gap. It leaped toward me as I braced myself. All I heard was the sound of something flying and the cat yowling as I glanced up curiously. As I saw a dagger sticking out of the cat's windpipe, (I guessed the major artery had been penetrated because the cat died instantly) and turned to where the knife had come from. I watched a blue hedgewolf with a black and grey mohawk and grey stripes making an 'X' on his forehead step out of the thickets.
"Are you alright?" He asked in a calm, caring voice. I kept my guard up, but decided to answer him.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Who are you? How did you find me?" I replied, raising an eyebrow.
"My name is Gale Xyzinc. Call me GX. I was wandering around here because this is usually a place where I can get some alone time. I saw you and the cat some time after that. I couldn't stand seeing someone die today" GX answered without hesitation. "Do you have a name?" He asked.
"I'm Shaylee the Hedgehog. Call me Shay. Do you know where Metropolis is?" I questioned, a thoughtful look spreading across my face.
"Of course. I can take you there if you'd like. Why are you in such a hurry?" GX started walking one way and looked over his shoulder to see if I was coming.
I tramped over beside him as we continued. "It's sort of a long story..." I looked at the ground.
GX seemed to know that I didn't want to talk about it right now. "Fair enough. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He blinked at me, giving a friendly smile. I felt I could trust this guy. He could come in handy; even become someone I want to keep beside me for a while. As GX continued to lead me, a sense of security and calmness drifted over me that night.
---

Chapter 11: Mark of a Warrior

My mind raced as the moon rose high in the sky. I glanced up, just quick enough to catch the tail of a shooting star. I wish I knew who my parents were. I started drifting from exhaustion, and accidentally stumbled over a tree root.
"So.. GX... not to be nosy or anything, but who is in your family?" I asked, trying to get my mind off my past.
GX stopped to think about the question. He frowned a little, not seeming angry, but regretful. "I'm an only child... my parents died when I was little. 5 or 6 years old, maybe? I've been living on my own for around 10 years now, just someone nobody gives a second glance at." He answered, giving me a small smile to hide the hurt in his eyes.
I now felt a wave of guilt hit me. The way I've been thinking made me feel selfish. "Gale... I'm so sorry..." I didn't dare look him in the eyes, for I felt that is I did, I would burst into tears.
"Shay, really, it's the past. I moved on a long time ago. You don't need to feel bad" GX approached and wrapped me in a hug. I wasn't one for hugs, but this one made me feel good. The hug was brief as he let go. My eyes traveled to the ground, as I thought about my parents. Gx watched my expression with a hint of concern. I knew how it felt to be unwanted - just a waste of breath that nobody cared for. Even with GX beside me, I felt alone and vulnerable at that moment, even more so that Kamden had stolen my power of electricity.
"Hey, what's wrong?" GX asked, searching my face for answers.
"N-nothing. Why?" I replied, forcing myself to glance at him with a black look to cover up my expression of hurt and regret.
"Shay, I know there's something wrong. It's written all over your face." GX stated. He brushed my bangs out of my eyes just as I let a single tear fall.
I slid my right hand up my left arm, placing it over my birthmark. "It's just... I feel like I was a mistake." I sighed as I made eye contact with GX.
"Why?" GX requested, not being forceful, but careful.
"M-my parents abandoned me when I was 7. Everyone wants me dead! My powers have been drained by someone who supposedly knew me for a year behind my back. What's my purpose here? Why am I still living?" A sudden breeze of embarrassment flew over me. GX just watched me with his mouth making a small 'o' shape.
"Shay I-" GX started.
"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me" I interrupted. GX didn't seem to mind.
"Shay, I can't imagine what you've gone through, and I feel horrible that I can't fix it right away. But, I'll try to make things right, if you'll give me the chance." He gently removed my hand from my arm, revealing my battle ax birthmark. I blinked at him questionably.
"You're a fighter, Shay. This is the mark of a warrior" His eyes traveled to mine. I could hear explosions in the distance, reminding me of the destruction waiting on the other side of this maze.
"My powers... they have been taken, though" I repeated myself briefly from a couple minutes ago.
"You don't need powers to become a hero. I'll admit, I don't have any special abilities, but that doesn't stop me." GX had a sympathetic look as he tried his best to comfort me. I flicked my ears toward him. More explosions could be heard as I made my position.
"Maybe you're right. The place where I grew up needs me, and I'll do whatever it takes to stop the chaos." I watched a grin spread across GX's face. It doesn't matter if I would die. What matters is that I defend the place and people I care about. I noticed GX turn to continue the mission.
"Hey..." I took a step toward him. GX looked back toward me. "Thank you, Gale Xyzinc." I finished. He nodded his head, and waited for me to go with him. I made myself move forward. What could possibly stand in my way if GX was by my side?
--

Chapter 12: Twisted Ruins

I don't know how long we walked. The first thing I noticed was the smell of ashes and the thickness of smoke up ahead. The second thing I noticed was that GX and I weren't on the windy trail anymore.
"GX, where are we?" I asked, noticing I was lagging behind a bit and sped up to walk directly beside him. GX flinched at my voice, as if he hadn't expected a question.
"Well, the fastest way to get to Metropolis is through the city of ruin..." GX replied.
"City of ruin?" I asked again.
"Yes... otherwise known as the Crisis City" GX confirmed, and kept walking. I wasn't familiar with the name, but I decided to trust GX. The dusty trail we had been on was replaced with red debris and the remains of what had been fine buildings and skyscrapers.
"What happened to this place?" I questioned as I glanced around. Some of the rubble were still up in flames and more cracked and crumbled into millions of pieces. It was a sad sight.
"Have you ever heard of the Flames of Disaster?" GX answered with another question. I nodded briefly, sort of remembering the name. "Well, after Iblis, or the Flames of Disaster, was released, it destroyed this city. Others were finally able to defeat it after many years, but the city was far too unstable to live in, so it was abandoned." GX explained, hopping onto a higher level and pulling me up.
"So why are we going through here then?" I thought I felt a rumble in the ground briefly, but it stopped so I didn't give a second thought.
"It's the fastest way to Metropolis... I wouldn't have brought you through here if we had a choice." He replied. GX's face had an unreadable expression. It concerned me a little, but I decided not to bug him about it. 'So this is Crisis City..' I thought, coughing a bit from inhaling the smoke. The ground rumbled more violently this time, and I knew something was wrong. I looked at GX, who had worry written all over his face.
"We have to get out of here, NOW!" He burst into a full out sprint with me shooting right behind him. I couldn't let my guard down now, especially when the remains of the city itself were about to blow.
---

(So, like what you see so far? Have comments and words of advice? Tell me what you'd like to see happen! Might give me a few ideas :D)

Back to top Go down